Anybody Recognize This Plant That Was Sold to Me As a M.G?

Zephyrhills, FL

I bought a pack of seeds from a Portland, Oregon nursery through E-Bay. The seeds were supposed to be a species of morning glory botanically known as Operculina brownii. They are not morning glories at all. I suspect that they are instead seeds of some plant in the nightshade family. The seed was about 1/5 - 1/4 the size of a bell pepper seed and flat-sided.Tiny and kidney shaped. Its color is very much like that of a pepper seed. It was stubborn about germinating and apparently needed some light to do so. Here are two images of that plant. It has started growing rapidly. Yes, it does look like it is beginning to vine. Thank you. Rex The first image shows how this plant looks ( 26 February) now and the second is the picture I took on (6 February), just 20 days earlier right after it came up.

Thumbnail by ransom3 Thumbnail by ransom3
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's hard to see anything from that 2nd picture but if the smaller leaves on the picture at the left are the cotyledons then it's definitely not Operculina brownii.

You can go here for comparison pictures - just scroll down for more pictures:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/327888/

Zephyrhills, FL

Yes, Xerametheum, the smaller leaves are the cotyledons. So many people have said they thought it was an eggplant. It is growing leaps and bounds.PS compliments on your photography.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I was going to say Eggplant, just by the discription of the seeds. It looks like an eggplant and they can be hard to germinate. They need heat, moisture and patience. The fruit can be really cool looking. Ive heard bad things about ebay, not that, that helps you know.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.