Please suggest some appropiate flower names

Vista, CA

I am closing this thread, as that job is complete. Thank all of you for your helpful advice and suggestions. Ernie

This message was edited Mar 17, 2012 5:51 AM

Thumbnail by ERNIECOPP Thumbnail by ERNIECOPP
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am a big fan of succulents....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

What direction does it face ?

There are several varieties of dwarf daylilies that you could plant in front of the Limonium. They will take partial sun and many are evergreen. They come in a lot of different colors, too. Some are rebloomers, some aren't.

Another thought: "Maybe" plant some taller blooming shrubs in between the sections of fence (between the posts, or in front of them...) to give some height. Camellia's come to mind...then move the Limonium further towards the paved area and/or mix them in groups with daylilies.

California poppies would also look good with the Limonium.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Pelargoniums (geraniums)
Butterfly weed is easy from seed
Calindra reseeds itself modestly
There are many different kinds of ground covers
I don't remember what these plants are called....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Gazania
Agapanthus & Guara
Artemesia
Gerbera & Alyssum
Osteospermum and Armeria

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Ernie are you looking for one type of flower to cover the entire area or multiple clumps? If multiple types do you want a mix of colors? Would variegated foliage be okay? And, are you trying to have something blooming all year or would seasonal flowering work?

I have two types that would fit in the strip you show but wanted to find our your parameters before I go searching for their names.

Also, are you trying to attract hummers, bees, and butterflies? :~)))

Vista, CA

Jasper, Dale, Annie,

Thank all of you.

The fence is my West property line and is aligned approximately 5 to 7 degrees West of North. So with the fence on your left, you are facing roughly North.

The Statice is my favorite flower, from 50 years ago in Laguna Beach, so i want it to be the focus of the planter. But, the bed is too wide to have it all Statice, so i am seeking a plant that will stay in second place. I do not want something that will compete either physically or visually, but will have a lesser place of its own.

Irrigation is to be considered, as i will only have drip tube in that area. I can run two more lines if necessary, but the soil is pretty porous, and the water is more inclined to go down than to spread sideways. I get about about 7 or 8 inch spread from each emitter.

I have already learned that some plants do fantastically well here, and others do not, so if i can find about three different varieties that come close to the target, i will plant those and then go with the one or two that thrive the best. I have about 80 or 90 feet there i think.

Blooms are important, but i learned while growing ornamental trees that it is best to get as many attractions as possible from each plant. So, the ideal would be attractive foliage, attractive blooms and an attractive shape, but a full ticket like that is not very common.

So, if you will think about foliage first, since that will be the longest lasting feature, no more than 18 inches tall, so as not to overshadow the Statice, and i would think any foliage color would look nice with the dark green of the other plant. Something that would have a nice shape and stay close to the water source. If it is a traveler it will grow away from the emitter and possibly become straggly.

The statice has small lavender and white blossoms, so almost any blossom will look nice there. We will probably try to keep the two rows separate, clean cultivated, but of course we have to adapt to the growth habits of the plants.

I filled the area to take the side slope from the driveway, so the rock base for the drive extends out under the planter. I do not anticipate growing anything within one foot of the asphalt.

It will be fine if the blossoms extend above the foliage, up to 30 inches or so.

Once you give me some suggested names, i will research them, and learn about their needs and appearance.

We have had enough frost here this winter to knock back my begonias, Guava and Mexican Lime tree, and Meyer Lemon, but it did not bother the carnations and camellias, or the Australian violets. So, i would guess the low temp was about 28 degrees or so at the coldest.

I am very much enjoying learning about flowers and small plants from you members, both in your replies to me and your comments on other posts. So, thanks again for all of your help.

Dale, I think the water requirement for succulents would be enough different from the Statice to be a problem, but many are very attractive, so i will keep them in mind.

Jasper, How tall do California Poppies get under cultivation and ample water? I have seen them on the hillsides, but not in gardens.

Annie, I am not far enough along on this choice to know exactly what i need. Maybe plant a flat, in 25 or 30 feet, of three different varieties, or half row of two kinds. Blossoms and colors will kind of be the icing on the cake, so the more of those the plants have the better, but i would say the blossom is the third priority after height of foliage, growth shape of plant and then blossom color and blooming period.

We have a wealth of birds here, several kinds of Fly catcthers, Gnat Catchers, Finches, Mocking Birds, Jays, One pair of Orioles, etc, and i left a patch of weedy ground cover in front of the patio, because they spend more time there getting bugs and seeds from it than they do in the grass. I expect the lantana to attract some butterflies, and i have seen a few Hummers, but have not planted anything for them so far. Some volunteer Dichondra is gradually taking over the weed patch, so i do not know yet what i will do if, or when, that happens.

Thanks,
Ernie

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have an idea. How about sedum album as a ground cover around everything with some other small plants stuck in here and there. Like some miniature lily, and perhaps yellow-eyed grass. There are button daisy type plants that would look good in front of statice too. If you like the sedum album idea I have a ton of it and it makes a great low growing ground cover, flowers white in Summer, and stay neat and tidy.

Vista, CA

Dee,

Thanks for the suggestion. I have so much area that is not really suitable for anything but groundcover, that i will keep the suggestion of the Sedum Album in mind.

My plan is to have just the two separate rows of flowers, the Statice and the others, with clean cultivation and then covered with compost or leaves. I have a bed of Australian Violets between the house and the driveway, and a bed of Irish Moss also in front of the house.

The secondary row is about 80 feet long, and i am going to plant a third of it with the California Poppies that Jasperdale suggested. They seem to spread out by dropping seed naturally, but i am hoping the moisture band under the drip tube will help keep them under control as i only want a row of them about 8 inches wide. withou water, plants will have a hard time surviving there. Linda wants me to plant some Cosmos, so i will use a third of the row for that, but i am still looking for the third item to plant there.

I forget who suggested African Daisies, but they are also a possibility. I saw some at Green Thumb that looked good.

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Ernie I have some ideas to share since you listed your details. Had to collect plant names and a few pictures. I'll get them posted in a few days.

Vista, CA

Annie,

I was hoping to hear from you but decided you were busy, and i was going ahead. I will wait to hear your suggestions before ordering anything else. I did buy some CA poppies, and will try to keep them fairly under control, either by not watering, or cultivating.

Thanks,
ernie

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Ernie the poppies are beautiful but will only be there for a few months depending on the rain and weather and I just consider them kind of a bonus plant. But then they'll should come up every year afterwards.

I should have time tomorrow to put together a detailed post on flowering plants for the strip by you fence.

Vista, CA

Annie,

I have another place where i could plant the poppy seed, so i look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Thanks,
ernie

Crossville, TN

I love this Purple Robe....blooms a long time...Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner
Vista, CA

Jo,

That is a very pretty flower, but i would be afraid it would spread too much to stay in order with the Statice.

Thanks,
Ernie

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Ernie hope this all makes sense, I got a little carried away, but this should give you food for thought. Let me know what you think and if I’m on the right track before I spend any more time. Also, if you haven’t yet discovered Briggs nursery you’ll want to check them out. They’re only a couple of miles south of you and with your growing background may give you a discount.

My first thought is don’t you want a few taller plants along the fence? It’s a longggg strip and a 4’-8’ tall plant every few posts would soften it a bit plus create some sections for different groupings of plants. If nothing is taller than the statice your going to see lots of fence . . . but then again you may be planning on hanging plants on it or perhaps it’s in an area that it doesn’t matter or it doesn’t stand out to you. Or, perhaps you’re going to hang funky yard art on the top half. :~)))

The other issue with all the statice in back is it limits your choices because unless you’re going to replant annuals yearly many flowering plants/shrubs get taller than the statice. I also agree with Dale the Gardner in his suggestions of succulents; they’re my plant passion. It would be easy to incorporate a few basic ones, but more than that would be a whole new learning game - fun but time consuming. Everything I’m describing are easy, and low water once established, and from the DG listings would do well in your area of Vista. I' including some that would mean moving some of the statice forward.

Tall Plants – 6’-8’
Heavenly Bamboo, Nandina, 
Nandina domestica – A heavily used plant in So. California that you’ve probably seen; some think it’s overused but it’s a good very easy care, year round attractive plant, and would do especially well at intervals along your fence if you do want some taller plants. Its flowers aren’t remarkable but it has good foliage, berry, color interest throughout the year. This DG picture shows it very well although it usually gets to 5’- 8’ or so, and would be extremely easy to trim if desired: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/329799/. The other DG photos show its lovely colors, berries, etc. It is not at all invasive here as in Florida and Texas. They grow in sun, shade, mixed, etc., but look better with at least half sun. You’d want the basic one which I think is just called Nandina domestica, as it’s the one that gets 6’-8’ tall.

Kohuhu 'Gold Star' Pittosporum tenuifolium – A foliage plant that would do well spaced out along the fence. I have about six of them and the foliage is just beautiful. This DG photo shows it best overall: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/170006/, and the others show close ups. It’s a newer Pittosporum hybrid that only been out a few years so isn’t that well known.

Medium Height Plants – 3’ – 4’
Mexican Cardinal Flower, Lobelia laxiflora – I love this plant! It blooms year round and has larger showier flowers than the Cuphea. The hummers are all over it! It gets a tad over 3’ and does spread. Some remarks list it as invasive but I think with limited water it is quite controllable, could be kept in check by just using a shovel and digging around it to remove outside growth. This picture is the best representation, although it’s an immature plant and not as tall or dense as it actually gets = http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/103912/#b. I also have some volunteers for the taking from where I had to transplant mine.

Firecracker Plant, Cigar Plant, 
Cuphea ignea – There are LOTS of Cupheas that vary in size and flower color, so you want to make sure it’s labeled specifically. The DG info says it only gets to 12-18” but both of mine get to 3’, which I think is typical. I love this one because it blooms all year round for me, although we don’t get as cold as you do, the hummers love it, and it doesn’t need pruning. However, I have two and I prune one yearly because of its tight location and the unpruned one is a little lacier looking. It does not spread.

~ I think any of these four above would be great every post or two along the fence.

Lower Plants – up to 18”
Cigar Plant, 'Starfire' Cuphea lanceolata – Another favorite Cuphea. Love this and it looks good and flowers year round with dark pink/purple flowers. This one has denser foliage, stays shorter - about 18”, and again the hummers love it. I prune one side back yearly to keep it in the bed’s boundaries, but with your space I don’t think you’d need to. Mine looks like this one from DG = http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/335749/. Again make sure it’s labeled correctly.

Blue Marguerite, Felicia amelloides 'Variegata' - DG says the H=18-24” and W=3’-4”, but mine has never gotten taller than about 10”. Easy to prune by just grabbing a stem, pulling it towards you and clipping it off, or just chop around the outside if it’s spreading too wide. All the DG photos show it in pots and none in the ground, but this one shows the beautiful foliage and flowers well = http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/2009/07/08/Kell/d1142d.jpg. I possibly have two of these that are about 24” across to find a home for if my neighbors don’t want them. They transplant well as I’ve moved one to a pot, but where the other two are they just doesn’t get enough sun.

Dwarf Sweet Pea Bush, Polygala fruticosa – I had one of the full size plants at our last house and it bloomed, bloomed, bloomed, and took no care. The foliage is pretty, mine was never woody as described in the one review in DG. This one is a newly developed dwarf variety that is pretty much the same. This website describes it better than DG = http://www.vintagegardengal.com/2010/03/15/dwarf-sweet-pea-bush/.

Rock Purslane 
Calandrinia spectabilis – These have become very popular recently although I have no experience with them. They are supposed to be very easy. Here’s the DG link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/112396/. Dale shows a pictue in his second set of photos, middle photo.

Gaillardia, Blanket Flower – These have also become very popular and seem to be a very easy to grow plant that flowers for a long period and come in quite a few colors. This is the DG link for one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/314398/. They make clumps that spread out, and I’ve seen them with foliage that grayish to green, but usually more gray.

Other Misc.:
In Dale's second set, second photo w/ yellow flowers, may be a lantana (or verbena) and if so butterflies love them, especially the yellow ones.
The butterfly bush Dale shows in his third set of pics, (second photo, in the front of the picture) are easy to grow, showy in bloom, but not too interesting in the winter.
And the Gazania he shows in the third set, first pic, are good. I’m wondering if they are related to the Gaillardia.
I also have another plant at my house that I don’t know the name of. It forms a clump 3’ across, is about 6” tall, and had dark green foliage with yellow daisy like flowers. I can try to send a picture later if your interested, and I have some volunteers for the taking.

Vista, CA

Annie, My goodness, you have done so much here. Thank you. It is not apparent from the photos i posted, but we are so hemmed in, or enclosed with the huge Pecan trees on one side and the even taller Eucalyptus on the other side, that i do not need or want, any more tall plants. I will have either two of the Flowering Crabapples that i discovered while on the Nursery, one at each end, or a Jap maple at the front end and the Crab at the back. But other than that, the bare fence kind of breaks up the Great Pecan Wall. Plus with the rise and drop in the driveway, the Statice will be at eye level as you enter.

You have listed several that i will link onto, and explore. I have bought a lot of stuff from Briggs, and something i have found interesting, is that when i was in the business, people kind of looked down on the Big Box plants as supposedly being of inferior quality, but the surest sign of quality is the condition of the root balls when a containerized plant is opened for planting. And sad to say, the bad, or low quality root ball score is very close to even between Briggs, Green Thumb and Home Depot. All three sell trees that have been repotted and sold before they have time to make a decent root ball.

I wil let you know how the plant research goes.

Thanks again,
Ernie

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

You mentioned African Daisies.......They do well here and have their moments.

Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan Thumbnail by Ray_Der_Phan
Vista, CA

Mark,
Do you think the African Daisies can be kept in a neat row, between 12 and 18 inches wide? They will be drip irrigated, and of course strays can be removed.

Ernie

Vista, CA

Annie,
All of the flowers you have suggested are lovely in their own right, and i may very well try a few of the Sweet Pea, in other areas, once i get the basic plantings started, but i am still focused on getting something that i can keep in a row, not more than a foot or so wide, that i can keep orderly between the Statice and the pavement.

Your mention of attracting butterflies will probably be well take care of as i have planted 400 square feet of spreading Lantana just behind the chain link fence at the end of the Statice row.

i do appreciate all the thought and effort you put into your suggestions.

Thanks,
Ernie

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ernie, Before you start looking for " African Daisys" be aware that the ones in the photo are Osteospermum. Arctotis is also called "African daisy", and is a different plant, altogether.

Vista, CA

Annie,

The ones i saw in person were at Green Thumb. I will check, but which one is most likely to form a neat row, with help of course from the narrow water source and a sharp hoe?

Also, i have noticed a very small, thin bodied Hummingbird here the last week or so. Its body is about one half the diameter of the usual Rufus or Ruby throated birds, but the body is about 3/4 as long. It has been flying close to the ground, possibly taking an interest in the small purple flowers that are in a weed ground cover. Drab colors and no outstanding features that i could see without the binoculars. Are you familiar with a hummer like that?

Ernie

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from ERNIECOPP :
Mark,
Do you think the African Daisies can be kept in a neat row, between 12 and 18 inches wide? They will be drip irrigated, and of course strays can be removed.

Ernie[/quote]

That could be a chore. I've never tried them in that narrow of an area before. I seem to remember them wanting some room for full bloom. They haven't been much of a problem keeping them in a general area though.

[quote="OCCAROL"]Ernie, Before you start looking for " African Daisys" be aware that the ones in the photo are Osteospermum. Arctotis is also called "African daisy", and is a different plant, altogether.

That's good to know Carol, thank you. I never knew there were different ones. What are the differences?

Crossville, TN

Probably the difference is that I can keep one alivie and doubt that I could the other...LOL Jo

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Osteospermum grows from a typical root structure and likes to spread.There are some wonderful hybrids these days with interesting shaped petals and colors, but like the California poppies, it closes at night or on cloudy days. Very easy to grow in a sunny location.
Arctotis grows from a tuberous root, and forms a beautiful mound, with wonderful silver/green leaves and larger, more formal looking daisy flowers in several colors. They would make a neater, more formal row for you. The drawback is that the reading I've done suggests growing them as an annual, even though they are classified as a perennial. My cousin has some in Mission Viejo that have been in their garden for several years, and do very well, but they do get excellent drainage there, so it may be that they don't like cold, soggy soil in winter. They also want full sun.
I haven't checked, but I would think there are photos in Plant Files.

The Gerbera daisys would probably work for you too.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

About your hummer; it was probably a female or juvenile Allen's hummingbird. They look llike the Rufus, but stay in this part fo the country year round, while the Rufus just pass thru on their way north. Allen's, Anna's, and Black chinned are our normal residents along the coast.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

ErnieCopp,
Have you thought about either Lantana for their color and attracting butterflies? They usually have the same watering requirements that your beloved statice does. I kinda like mint for their odor, both are low growers and can take your temps. Just had to chime in here, and can't wait to see what you decide to do. : - )
WIB~
SW

Vista, CA

SW, A long time ago, you reminded me of how nice Lantana is, and how much i like it when i lived in Laguna Beach fifty years ago. That is also where i became acquainted with Statice. So, i followed your suggestion, and planted the spreading lantana in an area of 3 or 4 hundred sq ft. Frost hit it hard, but most of them are already showing plenty of life. I have another spot, along the edge of our raised patio, where some of the taller bush type will fit nicely, and bring the smell, which i like, and maybe some butterflies or hummers up close.

Your suggestion had a lot of influence on how this is going to be. i also like Mint, but so do cats and dogs, as i remember. We have a couple of small dogs here, and there are a couple of stray cats, and for that reason i have not planned on planting any mint. But it is a very nice plant, otherwise.

So, thank you very much,
Ernie

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Ernie here's another plant I've been trying to find the name and a picture and just saw it this weekend at the San Diego Home and Garden Show and also remembered that my neighbor has some. It's Mexican Heather. They're not a super star showy plant, but are an easy dependable bloomer almost year round with nice shiny green foliage. Following are two links, one from DG but its pictures doesn't show the plant as well or give a good description so I found the second. I think this would look really nice with your statice. If you plant them too close they will grow together and I've always thought they look best when I've seen them in their own little mounds.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/119339/
http://www.floridata.com/ref/c/cuph_hys.cfm

I also got a grower's name and card who's in Vista if you're interested. They had 5 gallon plants at the show but I imagine they'd have 1 gallon, too. Or this is something that's a pretty basic plant and you might be able to get a good price at Evergreen or using a Greenthumb coupon from their weekly emails.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

1 Cuphea
2 when I worked in Napa - mixed bed CA poppies and.....
3 Argyranthemum or commonly called Marguerite
4 Salvia farinacea
5 Salvia leucantha

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Dale I think the two links below are the cuphea you have in your last post and the same thing I have in my post just before yours, just a different color. Glad to see it as I didn't realize that it came in white. What do you think?

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68524/

http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2265/itsy-bitsy-white-false-heather.php

Annie

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Annie, your link is a match.

Did you know it also comes in yellow? Might not be C. hyssopifolia, but, it looks just like it (flowers and foilage).

Verbena and Oregano>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Vista, CA

Dale and Annie,

My head has just been spinning from all the wonderful flowers you have all suggested, but i kept hitting the problem of wanting to keep the two rows distinctly separate, which meant not using plants that were prone to growing too wide.

I finally decided to just plant some of the suggestions, and then expand the most suitable and remove any that did not work. So, starting at the front, today, we planted about 20 feet of Salvia, then about 15 feet of Day Lilies, then about 15 feet of Red and Orange California Poppies, and then finished the row as it went over the hump with Cosmos. The soil is real well drained and the middles between the rows will not get much water from the drip tubes. So it will depend how aggressive the roots are, as to whether they expand to fill the gap.

The Mexican Heather sure sounds like a nice plant and would have fit the Sun and Shade conditions. It might be too tender frost wise here, but i am going to keep it in mind for other spots.

I am now starting to look for a fast growing vine that will grow to cover a Chain link fence that is in deep morning shade but good afternoon sun. I need to screen out some neglected and unkempt Eucalyptus trunks across the fence. It would be nice if it attracted birds or butterflies, but being able to handle the dark morning shade and provide fast cover are the most important. Aggressive is okay, as it will not invade anything important.

thanks,
Ernie

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey Earnie:
Try Blue Sky Flower for your fence. Or any one of the honeysuckles. The honeysuckle will bring in the hummers. : - )
I have a horrible memory, but am glad my suggestion for the lantana worked out well for you and that your lantana came back. Mine seems to and I just let the leaves cover it these days.
You've gotten a lot great ideas from the folks here, that's why I keep hanging around. : - )
My dogs and cats don't roll in the mint, but love the Mums. I guess it has a natural flea repellent.
My Tex-Mex sage is doing well despite the occasional frost, and seems to like it here.
My one and only Daffodil bloomed and I should get a photo of it. LOL!
Keep us posted on your garden, I am very curious to see how that border turns out. : - )
WIB,
SW

Vista, CA

S W,
How do you think the Honeysuckles will tolerate the deep morning shade, with good afternoon sun? I like Honeysuckle vines okay, and this is more for screening than it is for a focal point or display.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Mine love it, and once established, you can't see the fence, it smells wonderfully fragrant, provides food for the hummers, bees, and other good bugs. I even have some hummers who nest in the stuff.
Mine are planted where they get the full brunt of the afternoon sun, and as long as they get their water via drip, they can handle it just fine.
What kind do you like? I think that the Cape Honeysuckle with it's red blooms would be great for you, and it does attract the hummers. : - )
But so does the other kind, it has both yellow and a whitish pink blooms on them. I'm sorry I forgot the name. Never have had a problem with them freezing, but did loose a part of a section 2 summers ago which turned brown. Since I got the irrigation fixed it's coming back and hiding the brown section.
My dogs have made a tunnel and escape from the summer heat, whilst keeping an eye on things, underneath it. Little kids like hiding in the Honeysuckle tunnel too. : - )
I did start out by weaving the vines through the fence until the fence was pretty much covered, then I just watered it.
However, the one I planted out back, got away from me and killed my curly leaf willow tree. Now I have a skeleton tree covered with honeysuckle. LOM!
That is the only drawback I can see, is they may need an occasional trimming to keep them from becoming too invasive.
Let me know how it goes.
WIB,
SW

Vista, CA

SW,

The only Honeysuckle i remember had yellow flowers on it. I have about forty feet to cover, so thinking i mght get some Honeysuckle and some Hummingbird vine, which seems to be a trumpet vine. What do you know, or think about mixing them?

Willows, including the curly leaf, do not live very long normally, and if it was 15 or 20 years old or more, it may not have been the vine that killed it.

The ones i plant will be drip irrigated, but will face tough competition from the Big Eucalyptus across the fence that i am trying to hide the bases of. The Trees are pretty, but bottoms are full of debris and litter.

Ernie

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

I don't know much about Honeysuckle but I'm familiar with Trumpet Vine as my neighbors planted the purple one every eight feet along a six foot tall, one hundred foot long wood fence we share. What a nightmare! It's fine on their side but it grows over the top and comes down our side, to the ground if we let it, so it has to be constantly trimmed to keep it out of my plants. And if it's not pruned strategically each place where it's cut sends out multiple shoots so it gets really full - on our side. In one place where I let it get out of hand it grew over and along the back fence and then up into one of our redwood trees, at least thirty feet from the plant itself. Because it grows over their fence and has to be so heavily pruned on our side neither of us get much in the way of blooms as they get cut off. I should add that they have it on 1/8" drip line so it's not overwatered, and it is also situated so it gets no morning sun on the bottom six feet but gets sun all afternoon in most places.

It does come in numerous colors and is beautiful when planted in an appropriate place. I particularly love the orange red one. If they had planted it say every 20 feet it would have been wonderful. Since both vines your thinking of can be considered invasive I don't think I'd mix them unless your going to plant them far apart and then prune regularly to keep them separate once they've filled in. Here's a link to the DG Plant Files on the trumpet vine: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/644/ , with lots of negative reviews, although many of those are from places where it gets lots of rain and so is an especially rampant grower.

Vista, CA

Annie,

I appreciate your suggestions and respect your obvious knowledge about plants, so I will pass on the Trumpet vine. We had a Honeysuckle vine in Norwalk, about 60 years ago, and i did not have time to pay much attention to it, but i do not recall it being a problem.

I assume the big Eucs have taken most of the life out of the soil, so that may help to contain it, too. Those trees must be 80 feet tall, so we do not want them getting up in them. It is chain link fence, and we will keep our side trimmed, but not sure if the neighbor will be able to do that on his side. If necessary i will take them out, but it is very unsightly now.

Thanks,
Ernie

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ernie, mine are planted under poplar trees, and thrive. I don't think the euc's are going to be a problem.
I don't have much experience with trumpet vine. It's never grown well for me.
Honeysuckle has been practically no work once I trained them vines to cover the chain link fence, and set it up on drip irrigation. I did take a photo and will send it to you as soon as I download the silly thing.
I like the scent from my yellow and white Honeysuckle, and think it'll do fine under the Eucs. : - )
WIB~
SW

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.