Smokebush Advice

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi-
I'm looking for advice or experience about growing Purple Smoke Bush (Royal Purple) in zone 7a. I have seen advice to plant this particular tree/shrub in full sun but I have also seen advice that recommends light shade for it in the "South." I have two places in the bed in front of my house that I am considering planting a smoke bush. The front of the house faces somewhat north/east so there is full sun much of the day in the spring and summer but drastically less in the fall. To that end, there is a spot that takes the fullest advantage of available sunlight and another that as the summer goes on is a bit more dappled sunlight. Is scorch really that much of a danger in zone 7 for morning to mid-day sun?

Also, has anyone tried the cultivar "Golden Spirit"? I'm looking at adding more gold and yellow to my plantings and wondering what folk's experience has been with this particular smoke bush. It sure looks lovely in photos.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

My purple smokebush in Asheville (also zone 7a) was in full sun. Never saw any scorching.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

In Texas, it would need some protection from the sun, I think. Many things we plant that call for full sun, do better in part shade.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have one planted in full sun but I am a bit farther north in zone 6. I put mine in two years ago and I am not sure it is quite established yet.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

What about leaf-drop? I saw in plant files that some folks complained the leaves dropped too soon for their liking. If they fall in October- hey that is OK. If it is like they turn and fall in August... well, that would feel rather early.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

I have 2 smoke bush in full sun. One "smokes"......the other doesn't

Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED Thumbnail by ROSES_R_RED
Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Wow! Pretty! this tempts me to get more and see what happens in each location.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.