New photo feature?

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I note that when posting, there is now an option to load up to 5 photos, I assume within the same post. Is this new, or have I just been in hibernation all winter?

Twisp, WA

It's new, I just noticed it today.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Well I just have to try it out. These photos have nothing to do with gardening, but definitely need 5 photos to show the event...a large water tank being put into position, a project my DH has been working on for his employer.

Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the trial, Holly. Did it take a long time to load all five photos? Too bad you can's see them in a slide show like you can Sky Drive........

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Should be able to click across all five when they are enlarged also.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Perhaps they (admin) are working on that. Would make sense, much like looking at the photos in the plant files.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It was quick and easy. you just start and the next box pops up for you to enter the following picture. While I'm on a roll, here are some pics of my sister spinning and dying yarn. She grows her own dye plants, some of which you can see in the foreground.

Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Beatiful tones.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Yes, they definitely need to add a "next photo" button. I wish they would also do that on the entire thread. "next response" on thread. The whole website needs a makeover in my opinion. It looks so 1990's. I think they could attract a lot more subscribers if they changed the look of the site. It drives me crazy to have to click the back button, and then scroll down the entire thread to read the next response and/or look at the next photo. The Dave's Garden heading at the top of the page also needs a makeover. It seems as though they just let this thing ride at this point, collecting the subscription fees, without putting any money back into the site to make improvements.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Right on

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm in agreement with everything Stephanie just said. The site does seem to have lost its verve. So many people have left. Granted, some of them were instigators or just plain difficult, but something has been lost.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I am happy with the new five photos in a single post option. Perhaps this is indicative they are working on some improvements and are adding features people have asked for. Personally, I do not mind the Dave's Garden heading, as I'm fine with the familiar there. It would be nice to have the next photo and next post buttons. If we request it, maybe it will happen. However, I don't think that is the reason why people left. I also miss many people who have moved on, and I suspect it is more about life changes and new or different priorities. I have always found navigating the site fairly easy and don't want too many new bells and whistles that clutter things up and make it visually confusing (like little moving icons). I appreciate the ease of finding which threads have new posts, as that has been hard to determine in some other discussion sites I have been on related to teaching.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree. I've tried out some other garden sites with related forums and have generally found them confusing. I do miss some of our 'old friends' and am hopeful some may return. But, it's an ever-evolving mix of folks, generally kind and thoughtful, with the occasional firework to keep things interesting.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

True. I feel bored lately & was thinking of letting my subscription lapse when it expires next week, but I'd probably go into withdrawal.

I only hang around because of you guys & a couple of other forums. Most other features, like Plantfiles & the articles are useless to me because I never take anyone's word & do my own research anyway. Plus, it's tough to throw something garden-related at me that is truly new. (Bonehead's sister's nifty greenhouse notwithstanding!)

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Come to think of it, I'm sort of with you Mauryhillfarm. I really don't need it to change too dramatically. Just the next photo and next response on a thread button options will do it for me mainly. I would hate if the graphics became too big/fancy for dial up users to be able to use it and load the site. Wish it would attract more active users, too. I feel like Summer, Beahive, and I are the nearly the only active users in Oregon.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I believe it will comeback to more active. I know I have been very busy for the last year and too sad about my old garden to write much. Actually not doing any gardening to speak of yet. Have been to antsy to sit and write anything but I do read. And the sun is shining here even if it is cold. Amber had 13 teeth removed and DH had ingrown toenails cut back so I've been busy nursing them. Soaking feet and stuffing pills. They are both healing nicely now. I have a beautiful big bunch of hellebore blossoms, crocus and daffs coming up, and everything is budded.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh, you've been putting up such a brave face, Willow, that I didn't realize you grieved that garden. It is certainly a gorgeous one & very 'you.'
But as things come up where you are now planted, I'll bet that those bulbs & hellebores awaken affection & all sorts of ideas.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

You are right about that sk. Many many ideas. LOL Must get a picture of the hellebores. It is one I didn't have before.

Lake Stevens, WA

Willow,
I sure hope you feel better about things as Spring awakens all the plants in your new yard. Take care.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It is surely hard to leave a garden you had created and nurtured for so many years. Gardens are so much more than just plants, they are memories, friends, and places of rejuvenation. What can we do to help you boost that process again in your new surroundings, Willow? What do you need? Maybe we could send you plants you would like to have there that we have in our gardens. Or perhaps a work party is in order to help you get soil in place for some new beds??

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Count me in for all of the above. I have young volunteers of this beautiful fountain-y grass, for instance.

Thumbnail by summerkid
Lake Stevens, WA

I'm in! If you want us? Have heuchera and come May some wondeful annuals.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh that would be so tempting. I would love to see you all again and meet some new ones. I talked to my DD and she and a friend will cater lunch for us. It would all depend on my DHs situation but we could plan for mid to late May and maybe get some good weather. We would be working in the front yard and covering up all the grass and making beds with a center circle path. Maple, heathers, grasses, dwarf evergreens. I've tried to post a picture of the area but it won't come over. If you go to my thread about the new house it is where they took down the tree.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I hope I can come for the even, given your DH is up to it. I have a week off college classes starting May 28th (Memorial Day), but that's after the last weekend in May unfortunately. Whatever time you choose, if I can't be there then, I'd happily bring some plants for you another time, and I'm sure there is always something in a garden to do.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm very flexible. I would be good if you could come. The28th or June 2 is doable.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It would be so nice to meet you and others in person, but if another time works out for everyone else, or it just works out better for your husband, or you decide to go with a spur of the moment when things are going smoothly with your family's needs, please do what is best for you. If May 28th or June 2nd become the date, I will happily come and celebrate as we create a new garden bed. Hooray! I am so glad you are gracious in hosting another DG get-together. We all need a little boost right now.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Willow, if you are around, have you picked a date for people to come help you in your yard?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I think June 2 would be good. You can come then right? I don't work so it doesn't have to be a weekend for me. Whenever the most people can come.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2012 8:43 AM

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I am definitely planning to come. That is my week between college courses, so I will have some room to breathe and do something fun and different than my usual routine. I hope others can make it too. I'm bringing my DH along since we rarely have a chance to go anywhere together these days other than the grocery store.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sounds good to me. It doesn't matter how many come, but the more the merrier. We had some beautiful snow this morning about an inch, then gone.
My little Amber killed a 6" long rat yesterday. This morn her eye was all green and pussy. She has a scratch on her cornea. So she has a cone and pain pills and antibiotics again. I'm laid up with back problems again so we are lazing around today. Found a great chiropractor and she did a great job on me yesterday. Have to rest and go back Monday. She is a block from the house so I can walk there.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Your brave little Amber is a true warrior to tangle with such a large rat! Those cones are the pits. When my dog had surgery, he crashed into everything with the cone and then managed to wiggle his way out of the collar so it had to be tightened. I was worried it would choke him then. Yeesh. Too bad about your back, but good that you found a good practitioner close by.

Lake Stevens, WA

We have a celebration of life that weekend in Chelan on the 2nd. So have fun.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry springcolor. Maybe the date will change by then. You never know.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I am still open to May 28th or June 2nd, whatever works, or perhaps we could come garden with you on different days, although it definitely would be more fun to meet several people at once. I am really going stir crazy being chained to the computer, especially on days like yesterday when the sun was out and warming the soil a bit.

This was one crazy weekend. I had report cards due on top of my usual weekly research paper and test for my class. I'm done, but the adrenaline is pumping from cutting so close to three concurrent midnight deadlines and I'm in no mood to go to sleep until after a cup of tea. My current class is the most difficult one for me yet: Teaching with Technology. Why oh why don't they offer a class called "Teaching with Gardening" which would suit me much better? I need to go pull some weeds to clear my head, which is spinning from all the confusing technological possibilities. It actually is good for me to learn about these options and be challenged to learn about new techniques and resources, but it is not easy.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Well let's say May 28th then and see what happens.

Lake Stevens, WA

That's Memorial Day? Sorry, you guys have fun.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Darn it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.