Who is starting seeds?

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Tonight I will put lobelia seeds in a flat. It seems that they take nearly forever to get to transplanting size.

Just curious to know who else has started their seed-starting routine.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Lake Stevens, WA

Sharon, You know I have! I'll try to keep stuff in control this year.HaHa I have coleus cuttings and geranium cuttings. Also, dragon wing begonia, lotto begonia, dahlia ( those came up fast, first year planting those)and some other odds and ends. The first of march the heliotrope, impatients and few others will go in.

Have not seen Lynn post? All ok there? Saw her name on a co-op post.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sharon for this thread. I am a dope about starting from seed and will try to learn from you old hands (meant in the nicest way).

Lake Stevens, WA

BH,
Whats on your seed growing wish list?

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I have not started any seeds, but my Fall planted garlic is sprouting.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I started about 3-4 weeks ago. All kinds of new stuff I haven't tried before, plus some of my faves from last year. I placed a gigantic order with Thomsen and Morgan this year (in addition to parkseed, territorial, baker creek, johnny's, and some others, I think). I'm doing everything in my greenhouse this year. It is slightly trickier than starting them in my house, due to the fluctuating temps out there. I think I overheated some seeds. My greenhouse isn't big enough unfortunately!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm obsessed with starting violas this year.

Twisp, WA

I haven't started any yet, but got my seeds ordered up last weekend. I'm planning to do a cleanup out in the greenhouse this weekend, but it's a little too cold yet to start anything over here on the east side. I got all the snow off the glass to let the sun start warming it up in there! In addition to my usual tomatoes, peppers, melons, basil, and assorted flowers, I'm trying several ornamental grasses, some water plants, and angel wing begonias. I can't wait for it to warm up a touch.

Thumbnail by Lauribob
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I'll bet it's getting cozy inside the greenhouse when the sun is out. Such a nice feeling. That snow level is also looking pretty manageable.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I MEANT to start Salvias, Petunias and Violas inside in mid-January. Late!
I meant to start Lobellia & Lupines inside a week or so ago. Late!
I meant to wintersow some poppies ... oh well.

Unfortunately, I only have one light shelf, and I overwintered some plants that are currently filling it.
Funny: they are COVERED with what I assume are aphids, but I don;t see any leaf damage at all.
Brunnera, Penstemon and some lobellia from last year in 3" pots that "aren't dead yet" and indeed have thrown out just a few blue blooms. And three Salvias I was given as rooted cuttings ... one of which has put out a few blooms under lights.

Gotta move these hibernating aphid-hotels SOMEWHERE outside so I can start more seeds.
I've been thinking about bending some 1/2" EMT conduit for months ...

Maybe instead I will actually get around to cutting some garden fencing or maybe "rabbit fence" (stiff wire, like 1-4" mesh) and making hoops out of that, big enoguh to park somee 11"x21" trays under it, and throw p[lastic film over that. If it flaps too badly, maybe chicken wire over the whole thing, or just weight down the edges with bricks.

Then surround it all with some kind of slug moat. (bait and beer saucers).

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I am determined to start something tonight. Any old thing. My options for buying plants out here are limited.

Would anybody be interested in a super-simple round-robin plant swap of what we sprout? I'm thinking that you just pick 10 tiny plants & mail them to the next person on the list. That person can keep all 10 & mail 10 of theirs on to the next home, or pick a few & replace those. Very low key, no big lists of haves & wants. It could include rooted cuttings too.

Us seed starters always have extras with a capital 'E,' right? Even if you got 2 plants that you wouldn't have thought of or have access to ... could be worth your while, no?

I, too, plan to start things tonight... Probably trailing lobelia, marigolds and ageraturm. Trying to do things that I can identify easily in the same flat.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Sharon, I am always impressed by people who get their seedlings going in the Winter and have strong little plants by the time they are ready to go outside. I've always bee a bit on the late side with seed starting, and mostly end up direct planting right in the garden bed, I'd like to learn how to get a head start, but have to put it off until next year when I'm not taking so many classes.

Also, how are Julie and Lynn? I haven't seen either of them post in quite a while.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Mauryhillfarm,

You may not realize it, but you're being very smart about at least one thing. When we start indoors TOO early, we go crazy trying to keep plants healthy until the weather catches up with our optimism. Seedlings need lots of light to stay healthy, and enough well-lit space may be in short supply if you fill your light space with seedlings in trays of cells, but then have to pot them up t6o keep them happy.

Late may be better than early, if you have no greenhouse or cold frames!

Twisp, WA

You are so right! I get so excited to get stuff going early and then the poor things have to struggle along until the weather is more in line with their schedule. And that's with an unheated greenhouse. Last year was very challenging for me - very poor germination, and then it got hot all of a sudden and fried half my stuff. I'm hoping to do better this year and try out my new bottom heat mat.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> an unheated greenhouse.

Lately I've been reading about double-layer protection: like floating row covers inside a greenhouse, or a low hoop tunnel inside a tall hoop tunnel.

>> new bottom heat mat.

That should be a big help. I hear that many plants want bottom heat to germinate and get their first few leaves, but then tolerate or even prefer cool air.

Lake Stevens, WA

Yes, the bottom heat mat helps. Things dry out much faster so keep an eye on things.

Direct seeding is very difficult here in the woods as the slugs love those tender new seedlings! More about Julie and Lynn when I have a bit more time to type. But both are doing reasonably well considering all the personal issues for each of them these days. We had a "few" glasses of wine with Lynn and Joe a few days ago.....

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hi Everyone!
I am still here!! This is the first time I have been on DG in months. I have been putting it off because I am so far behind in the news.

I had back surgery last year, Joey's mom passed away last fall, I had rotator cuff surgery Dec 23, and this Friday, lucky me, I get to have trigger finger and carpal tunnel surgery on both hands. So, I have been a bit down. Of course, stupid me, I ordered a zillion bulbs in a coop, thought they would be here by now, too late to back out. OH well, can you picture me planting them with a spoon in my mouth? Or maybe with my toes!

I will try to get back on here again, I just don't know where to start.
Please keep in touch with me, I missed you all. My em is lynnp@skynetbb.com

WE NEED TO PLAN THIS YEAR'S ROUNDUP AT OUR HOUSE!!!!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Lynn, good to hear from you again. Stay in touch, we can all commiserate together. Gary is just recovering from back surgery and scheduled for his first of two knee replacements. Unfortunately, my skill set does not include nursing.

Lake Stevens, WA

Yes, good to see you post Lynn. I saw your name over on Mama's. BH, that's a tuff one for your guy and knee surgry too. Take care both of you!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

It is good to hear from you Lynn, though it sure sounds like tough times at your house with myriad health issues and family loss. I'm sorry about that. I hope you don't feel like you have to catch up on every word on every forum. It is certainly fine to jump in and say hello now and then.
About the zillion bulbs: I bet some of those grandkids would be happy to run around with a trowel and dig holes. Digging holes is a favorite pastime of lots of kids I know.

Started soaking my pea seeds this weekend. Will be in the ground next weekend.

Yesterday I planted my tomato seeds in the greenhouse on heat. . Was shocked to see that I did that last year on March 3. We shall see how they turn out relative to last year's. I think the cold springhas us thinking it is pretty early yet!

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

I am thinking about starting some seeds today. Is it too late to sow petunia seeds in the GH? It just doesn't feel right to see things starting to bloom, and I don't have any seeds started. Bulbs haven't arrived yet.

Is anyone interested in coming to our house for Round Up this year? I was thinking about mid to late June.. I miss seeing all of you!

Lake Stevens, WA

I planted my petunias just a few days ago! Go for it!

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I still haven't started everything. Getting there. I've been down in San Francisco all week. Lots in bloom around here.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

I'm "starting" all my oldest packets to see whether they are still viable. So mainly right now I have a bunch of bare containers.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm with you, Summerkid, with plenty of old seed packets to choose from. Having stashed far more seeds than I could ever reasonably plant. I have no time this year to even try, so I've been thinking about throwing handfuls of seeds here and there on bare ground and just letting nature take care of it.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That is my main method with seeds. I usually get a few plants and that is all I need anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.