Vine Selection - Northern California

RESCUE, CA

I am trying to find a good grower for a specific spot on our property. I either get too many results when I search, or more frequently almost no results.

I am in zone 8a - we get down into the 20's (F) during the winter and as high as 105 in the summer.

The location is full sun, mostly clay soil, but good drainage as it is a hillside. I can irrigate as needed in this location. I am looking for a vine to cover the open space between our deck and the hillside below. This is roughly 10'-14' in height and a total spread of about 70'. I can provide any kind of support for the vines.

My wife's only requirement is that it does not produce yellow flowers. I know it will most likely "die back" during the winter, which is fine. And it does not need to produce flowers, but that is preferred. I know some (most? all?) of you may cringe, but the best I have seen so far is Akebia quinata, the Chocolate Vine. I would prefer a fast growing vine, but I can be patient as well :)

I look forward to any thoughtsinput. Thanks.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Trachelospermum jasminoides (star jasmine) and potato vine (Solanum laxum) are two very readily available options that ought to do fine for you. Neither of them die back in the winter and both produce white flowers...T. jasminoides has a scent while S. laxum is not scented. T. jasminoides can also grow in shade so you might look around your area and see if anyone's growing it in full sun or not--S. laxum shouldn't have any trouble with full sun and those temperatures (it's gotten as high as 117 here and mine didn't blink an eye even though it gets ~12 hrs of west-facing sun a day in the summer)

For a somewhat less common option, I love my Passiflora 'White Wedding' on my back fence--it also has white flowers which are scented and attract butterflies. It also doesn't die back during the winter. It also handles my sunny west-facing bed very well and has never shown any signs of heat stress.

All of the ones I mentioned should be fine with your winter temperatures and grow reasonably quickly (S. laxum probably the fastest in my experience, but the others will fill in the area pretty quickly too)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.