Noiré De Cremée

Helena, MT

My wife requested I plant some ‘black tomatoes’ this spring. My first thought was Black Krim, however after reading through Carolyn’s book “100 Heriloom Tomatoes for the American Garden” (published 1999), I thought I would try the Noiré De Cremée, cousin to the Black Krim. Carolyn stated in her book that Noiré De Cremée was not available commercially at that time, but I decided to do a Google search and came up with several sources. I have seen several comments which state that some sources may consider these the same tomato. Since both tomatoes were not listed in the two sources I considered, how can one be sure of getting the correct seed?

Carolyn also mentioned that black tomatoes typically do not get as dark in northern climates. Could this a condition of heat, or some other factor? I plan to place several of these plants in wrapped cages which will be ready for transplants by mid-May, and may be covered again in mid-August to extend the season.
The covers are removed around mid-June after threat of frost is over. This gives me up to 120 days which may compensate for our cool, short season. Weather this would improve the dark color is my second question?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

They are about the same but you can read the comments I made in my book why I prefer Noir de Crimmee, which I got from a frenchman in a huge trade in 1992.

In the general, the so called blacks, which are not my faves with several significant exceptions don't get as black in the northern climes just b'c of the lessened UV.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.