Suggestions pls...white-flowered perennial iris companion

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

If I have vegetation blooming around and over my iris rhizomes, they stay damp and more likely to rot. I fight the slugs and they eat my irises when it is damp. I have a couple of the 'Blue Clips' and really like those. I think I will look for those in white.
If not, the arabis I think will be my second choice! Thanks a million!
deb

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 6:50 AM

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I believe the campanulas will bloom all summer, am thinking the other is only a spring bloomer.
pix: Johnny Jump Ups, these are reseeding nicely in my garden, just planted some orange ones last fall, they do come in white also.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

the campanula do bloom all summer for me and the arabis will sometimes rebloom later in the summer here. but it does sort of clump up with fleshy like 'leaves' up to 6-8" tall so does provide a nice green edging. Dianthus in white would bloom all summer I believe. Oh, I give the arabis a 'hair cut' with scissors when they stop blooming in spring (which lasts a long time) and that promotes the healthy plants and reblooms sometimes.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I've been growing perrenial Gypsophila (Baby's Breath) for years with my Iris. I grow the dwarf variety 'Viette's Dwarf' and use it mainly as an edging for my rebloomer beds. It doesn't start blooming until around May here in NC and blooms till frost. I have very sandy soil and it is drought tolerant and seems to love the same conditions as Iris. I just love the airy foliage, makes a great contrast to the spiky Iris leaves. It grows about a foot tall. Sorry I don't have a pic, but it is in the plant guide here on DG.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohhh, that would be pretty. And you could cut some for bouquets with the iris.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.