February Pictures and Chit Chat

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Just got done disbudding and removing leaves from the Species rupicola. It was growing in one direction, so I also had to take it out of it's pot, cut off part of the soil/root ball, then put it back in the pot and fill in the empty space with more mix. My hands were shaking the whole time! If even one of the crowns had snapped, I don't know how that would have looked. As it is, it looks like it's been manhandled, that's for sure! This one has always handled being repotted and disbudded very well, so I wouldn't be surprised if it looks better by tomorrow.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Just out of curiosity, how far from the lights do you grow your trailers?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Since it's almost Spring I decided to bring the subject up. Are we having a Spring Bingo Game. It's always a lot of fun. I also have to post some pictures of the new plants blooming tomorrow.

Columbus, OH

How does the bingo thing work??

Montgomery, AL

Look at the gorgeous Wrangler's Pink Patches featured in the newsletter. Does anyone grow this variety?

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Bingo is fairly simple. The version we've played the last few games: A list of 75 plants compiled from various gesneriad varieties is compiled. Each person chooses 25 plants (which makes up their "card"), and submits card to the cardholder (cardholder verifies each "Bingo" call). Another person makes the calls . . . the goal of the game is to "blackout" your card before calling Bingo.

Columbus, OH

Is there a prize for the winner, or just the undying esteem of other gardeners? lol

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

There are usually prizes, donated by some of the players or those watching the game. Of course, undying esteem is always good, too!

However many prizes are donated, a number is attached to each one. The first confirmed Bingo picks a number, and that is their prize. Nobody knows (except for one person - not playing) which number goes with which prize.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

So I haven't posted pictures in a while so here are some new bloomers. I also like this feature of being able to add 5 pictures now.
The fist picture is AV. Music Box Dance. The second and third picture is AV. Fancy Free and the fourth and fifth picture is AV. Rob's Dust Storm.

This message was edited Feb 21, 2012 1:25 PM

Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Now on this set of pictures the first two belong to AV. Rob's Outer Orbit. The next two photos are of AV. Mama Red Dust and the last one is AV. Angel Eyes

Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217 Thumbnail by Roly0217
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Now on here we've got AV. Candy Stripe in the first picture. The second and third picture are of the growing rack as you can see lots of color which makes me happy. Finally the last 2 pictures is a non gessie. It's the second bloom on my Phragmipedium bessiae which is an orchid.

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous Rolando! I only wish my stands looked like that.
Lynn

Columbus, OH

First bloom ever. Super tight crown, though.

Thumbnail by Celene
Sanbornton, NH

Great pictures, Rolando. A sure way to brighten up the winter. No new AV pictures right now, but here are a couple of pots of Sinningia tubiflora that are just getting going.

Earle

Thumbnail by EarleG
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I've got a question for the Sinningia experts. Should I be worried that one of my Sinningias went leafless??? The tuber is still firm every time that I feel it.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

All Sinningias with tubers can go dormant for different amounts of time. Most mini Sinningias, if they decide to go dormant, only do so for a few weeks but sometimes take longer. Keep the medium just moist - no fertilizer! - and wait. That's all you can do. You can't "force" a tuber. It simply doesn't work.

Olaf

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Wow! I somehow missed everybody's GREAT pictures!!! Congratulations!

As usual, some Sinningias: 'Country Crocus', 'Gabriel's Horn Mutant', 'Heartland's WOW!'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

And one more thing...

Rolando, that Phrag. bessae is OFF THE CHAIN!!! Wow! Congrats!

How big is the plant? Is it one of the "monster" size Phrags?

Olaf

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Love the pictures everyone!

Montgomery, AL

Gorgeous photos! Spring is comining, spring is coming...
This is Ma's Melody Girl which is suppose to be a small standard, but grows as a semiminiature for me.

Thumbnail by jamiew
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

jaime, that is a beauty. I love the fantasy color. I have quite a few babies and I'm waiting for them to grow and start to bloom. Right now I have a few blooming violets, and a couple of sinningia. I took pictures of my micro-mini sin 'Bright Eyes x self. I have two that are blooming. I can't believe they are so tiny. I'll have to get the pictures off my camera and post them here later today.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, Jamie!!!

How are the seedlings coming along?

Sinningia 'Country Tiger' x self, 'HCY's Coral Candy' x self, AV 'Heinz's Seduction' - making buds and blooming after a month of TOTAL neglect, Primulina (Chirita) 'Deco'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Montgomery, AL

From left: Rob's Sticky Wicket, Kohleria Hcy's Jardin de Monet, Rob's Wagga Wagga, Foxwood Trail, and some of the too many seedlings taking off!

Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew
Montgomery, AL

It didn't post my first 4 images! Aarghh.... I've got to go get the kids from school. I'll try again later.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Please repost the pics for us, Jamie! :)

Well, and the picture that actually got posted truly answers my question... LOL

Olaf

Montgomery, AL

Here is Rob's Sticky Wicket begun by leaf on June 8, 2010 and now in a 4 in azalea pan via the Japanese method. I've given lots of these babies away and have more for the RR. I'll send leaves or shake off as much soil as possible and wrap in saran wrap (no more sending solo cups for me).

Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew
Montgomery, AL

Rob's Wagga Wagga in solo cups (had started from leaf) in June 2011, and now in a 6 in Azalea pan via Japanese Method again. How is everyone doing with that technique? It sure does take awhile. Kohleria Hcy's Jardin de Monet

Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew Thumbnail by jamiew
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

'Rob's Sticky Wicket' and 'Rob's Wagga Wagga' sure are favorites and your plants are just charming! :)

Well, needless to say that I'm a bit partial towards 'HCY's Jardin De Monet': I love the BIG BOLDNESS in contrast with the rather subtle colored flowers on this Kohleria!

Olaf

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 5:29 PM

Montgomery, AL

How are your seedlings coming along?

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Hey Jamie!

Despite having been down with a very pesky flu and not having had much time to take care of anything, let alone my plants, the seedlings that germinated are coming along fine. Some Gloxinia erinoides, Paliavana sericifolia, Drymonia serrulata, Neomortonia nummularia, Sinningia cardinalis x eumorpha "Saltao" (my own cross and a repeat of a classic cross replacing eumorpha with eumorpha "Saltao"), S. eumorpha "Saltao", S. pusilla 'White Sprite' and a ton of Begonia seedlings... LOL

Olaf

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Tried to post four pictures, but it timed out. So here's two, I hope. First is Sin. Gabriel's Horn, and second is Sin. Bright Eyes x self. It is so tiny. I hope I can keep her alive.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger
Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Opt. Little Anythyst and Christening Gown.

Thumbnail by imadigger Thumbnail by imadigger
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous, Eileen!

Don't be afraid of the micros! They are very tough, given good humidity, warmth and moisture! :)

Olaf

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

LOVE that Sticky Wicket jamiew! I have one as well! I'm becoming a real lover of trailers too!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2012 7:34 PM

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Here are some micro mini Sinningias:

S. 'Wood Nymph', muscicola (a little over a month and a half after coming out of dormancy), concinna (Five buds! That's a lot for this plant), 'Treva McDaniel' (Didn't do almost anything for almost six months but is now growing and full of buds), pusilla 'White Sprite'

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972 Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Well, and here's Sinningia 'Freckles', which is NOT a micro miniature and, in my growing conditions, hardly even qualifies as miniature. I would rather call it medium size, compact... The one feature of this plant that's simply AWESOME is its floriforousness! This one is just getting started...

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Wow !!! So many more beautiful blooms !!!! I've got to get my Sinningias to bloom. All of them (which at the moment is 4). But before that I need culture tips.

Olaf: Pharg besseae is small compared to other Phragmipediums and Paphiopedilums. Leaf span is about 20 inches and this is a single growth that I got at the Tamiami Orchid Show at the end of last month. It has become my favorite Phrag because of it's sequential habit which gives me bloom after bloom. And the best part is that it has a tiny new growth so hopefully in about a year I will have another blooming size plant.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info, Rolando! It's a beauty and I'm sure that you'll eventually wind up with a nice, big clump of this stunning, dramatic beauty!

Well, ask me anything, you need to know on Sinningia culture. I would never consider myself an "expert", maybe "advanced novice" would be a phrase, I can live with... LOL

However, Sinningias are generally of easy culture if you can provide them with a sheer minimum of care... :)

Olaf

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Well then I'll pick your brains. What light, temperature and humidity do they generally need??? As you can see the African violets are growing and blooming beautifully and I grow them right next to them. I am worried that out of the 4 that I've got one is completely leafless but still hard tuber and then 2 are stalling and one which is in bloom seems to be the only happy one.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

I'd be happy to! :)

Okay, I assume that your four Sinningias are some kind of minis, correct?

Minis essentially require the same care as a Violet and there are plenty of people who grow them side by side.

Things change a little when in bloom, as mini Sinningias turn into water hogs!

When and if they decide to go dormant, I do this: I cut down the leafless part to about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, give the tuber new medium (you can rinse the old mix off and don't worry if you get rid of some of the old, dead roots) and keep the freshly repotted tuber just moist untill new growth appears. That's the moment when the tuber starts making new roots. When the new growth starts actively growing, you can carefully start increasing watering. Until the new growth is about an inch tall, DO NOT give it any fertilizer. The salts have nowhere to go and will just build up in the medium and the new roots will most likely be damaged by that.

Dormancy can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. The tuber decides. There's nothing you can do about it but be patient!

I hope that helps. :)

Olaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.