February, 2012: time for the seed catalogs!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Genna, my niece and her fiance both graduated from Auburn and they used an Auburn theme. It was really cute. They also blew up B&W engagement photos and put them over the pictures in the place where the party was held. It was really spectacular. They used Auburn football shakers, orange and navy decorations on the tables, etc. Really cute other stuff too & I don't imagine it was too expensive. The groom's father had them play a cute game where he put them back-to-back and asked them questions...sort of like the dating game. Like who studied the most in college, who is the neatest. They had to raise one of their shakers (one color for her, one for him) and see if they matched since they couldn't see what they other was doing. Really funny and fun for everyone.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri in this case it is a death sentence! In his case it has progressed so far there is not a cure - chemo might buy a month or so. Jeff got him in hospice this afternoon. The nurse spent a long time with him and answered a lot of questions. A nurse will be available 24/7 and he can go in and stay for a couple of days and then go back home if he wants to.

Yes Genna he has seen him recently. His dad was in CA in Oct and he said he seem fine then. Then Jeff was here the middle of Nov when his dad had a detached retina and had to have surgery on it. He sees and talks to him regularly.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Charlotte so sorry to hear things are so bad.

Genna we had sunshine today for the first time in awhile. My yard is completely saturated even at the tops of the hill. They are calling for more rain tonight and again by Thurs and again on Mon so I guess we won't be drying out anytime soon. We've been getting 2 inches each time.
I had 4 of my grandchildren throughout the weekend. I enjoyed them but am glad they have gone back to there houses.

Genna when my boys got married we did a vineyard theme with wine for oldest but I know that will will work for y'all. The other one was going to Aruba on his honeymoon so I did a tropical theme. All of that was 10 years ago so I don't know what kids are doing now.
I think the University theme was cute.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Cindy I called Clegg's and they have a full gallon of nun's orchid's for $11.99. Do you want me to pick some up for our March 15 trip. I could also check some other sources for cheaper prices.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

That sounds good Jeri could you pick up 2 dmail me your paypal and I will sent money. Did you find any
Ground Orchid Spathoglottis Plicata at all? They are hardier than the nuns. I would really love some of both.

Ripley, MS

It is pretty soggy here and we have not had a lot of rain like you all got.
Heather went home today, but they are still requesting a urine test (24 hour) in 3 days

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra, glad to hear they were able to send her home and that the baby is ok..... when is she due? They still have several months to go don't they? I lose track of time!

Well, I am horrible at decorating and theme type things! I was planning on a bbq with simple decorations and burlap etc..... but now it looks like we are going to have to have it at Harding as well and with them catering........ it will be in a conference type room, so not a lot of personality or individuality. My SIL is trying to help me come up with something - thankfully she is pretty good at such things! I love a lot of the burlap stuff off of pinterest and I know they like that look as well, just havent figured out exactly how I am handling everything or even what the menu will be now. I would love to do a more hands on so that I could personalize the food, desserts etc for them, but it looks like I will have to deal with this caterer....... oh well, I guess the plus side is that I will have more free time to enjoy all the festivities instead of stressing over trying to get everything done and transported properly~

Hope you miss a little of that rain Cindy and have a couple of days to dry out. It was beautiful here today....in the 60s with sunshine, but of course, I was at work! By the time I got off, the temp had already dropped quite a bit!

Genna

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Sandra glad to hear things worked out with Heather. I know that scared Jerry. I am also glad to hear Cayla is doing good and is going to settle in her own place.

Me too Genna we usually have a lot of wind here that helps dry out the soil but we haven't had much of it lately.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I'm also glad things worked out with Heather!
It rained really hard here last night. You could hear it blowing against the windows in front of the house. The sun is shining today. As far as I can check the forecast it going to be around 60 in the daytime and a low of about 42 except for this Fri when it's supposed to drop to 36. I think I'm going to start doing some clean up in the front when I get a chance. Probably want be until next week. I need to get all the leaves out of the beds and put down some fresh mulch. I'll probably just use the pine needles from the back yard.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Cindy it's ok to just pay me on March 15. Check out these plant database sheets

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1249/#b

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2540/#b

It said the Nun's Orchid is the hardier of the two.

When is the event Genna? That would dictate the theme I'm sure.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Forgot to say Happy Mardi Gras!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Memorial Day weekend is when they are getting married Jeri. They are getting married on Saturday, May 26th...... was briefly changed to Sunday when the venue was taken for Saturday, but now that event has been cancelled, so they have moved the wedding back to Saturday. I think that will be a lot better for everyone and that they will have better attendance on Saturday. Not sure if the holiday weekend is going to help or hurt attendance ....have heard theories both ways! ^_^ Oh well, the people who really want to come will be there and hopefully everything will go smoothly and they will enjoy the day! So far, my theory is that she is WAY behind on the details and planning.......................hoping it all comes together like she thinks it will. But, if not, either way, they will be married and it will be done! LOL.....

Wow - both of those orchids are beautiful!! No wonder you are looking for them Cindy!! I know they moved us to zone 8 now, but they still wouldn't make it here! I love orchids but don't have any luck growing them inside.......

Well, hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra wanted to tell you this before I forget. In today's paper there is an article that says the CDC is considering having everyone born between 1945 and 1965 tested for hepatitis C. The reason being so many people born in those years have it and lots of people are dying from it. And they now have 2 drugs that have can cure it. Both cost $1,000 to $4,000 at week. Short, short summary of the article. I'll scan it and post if you want. May also be in your paper.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Genna if it's in May, I would do spring flower. What are their colors? With Alex becoming a Dr. Use that as the theme. Want something elegant do Black & White. There are so many options I would have to put all the ideas in a hat. Important thing is for you to have fun and NOT stress!!! ((((HUGS))))

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL.... Jeri, I am not sure they have "colors" yet!!! SERIOUSLY!! The last time I asked which was probably 3 weeks ago, she still said the same thing....muted tones....but I don't think she has narrowed it down to specific tones yet! SHe likes the pale tans, beiges, muted blue tones, etc............ EVERYTHING she wears is very muted - not bold colors or jewel tones EVER! I guess that is why they liked so much of the burlap stuff,....... but I have a friend who offered to cut some vinyl for the shabby chic look signs etc that so many people are using in their weddings but she didn't think that would go with her "style" but she isn't sure what her style is. I surely can't say anything because I am NOT a decorator and I have trouble telling "romantic style" which is more what she is after from "shabby chic",,....LOL but I am getting very few specific details. I offered to do things on the tables that she might could reincorporate into the reception if she wanted me to.....flowers, pictures, decorations?? she wasnt sure what she wanted. I am about to the point where I am going to have to plan out the rehearsal dinner regardless. I can NOT wait til the last minute because I have TOO much going on. Natalie (Alex's finance) will graduate from OBU on May 12, Jessica will have bacculareate( sp?) on May 13 and graduation on May 17! I know there will be countless showers, parties etc also thrown in there... so I need to be getting my stuff together now, or at least very soon! They really both LOVE coffee, and had originally wanted me to make some printed burlap bags for coffee that say "Natalie and Alex The Perfect Blend" for wedding favors. Now, she has decided against that, so I may use that and make larger bags of "coffee" to go on each table for the rehearsal dinner............. just not sure yet. They are both OBU Tigers.... so that could make an interesting them (Thanks Elaine bc I would never have thought of that!) and they were also both Arkansas All Stars in their respective sports.......Alex in Football and Natalie in Soccer. Might make an odd theme, but it is pretty slim odds that both of them would be all stars. Oh well.............. By the end of the month, I wont a theme established, or whatever and hope to spend March getting it all ready. Then I will just put it aside and hopefully pull it out and be ready to go by adding flowers or whatever the day of...................

Charlotte, what section is that in the paper? I need to read that article.... Leigh and I both fall into that category! Scary that they think alot of people have it without knowing!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna the article is in the A section on page 3.

For my 2 cents worth, I would do like Jeri said and just get some pretty spring flowers. Nothing more romantic than pretty flowers. Sounds like she is just trying to do a simple wedding. Wouldn't worry about a theme or colors. Then I would just ask the caterer to give me 2 or 3 recommendations for a menu and give the recommendations to Natalie and Alex and ask them what they would prefer. Then just call the caterer and sit back and relax!!

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Genna, I had written something earlier, and didn't copy it, and sometimes at work it doesn't post and I lose it. Makes me mad. Anyway, I was going to say something pretty much like what Charlotte said.

The caterer will likely have white tablecloths so you can use your burlap with other decorations if you want on top of those. The rehearsal dinner colors and decor don't have to 'match' the wedding colors. My niece used navy with spring green and ivory accents for the wedding, and the rehearsal dinner was Auburn colors (orange/blue - sort of navy). I attached photos of one of the tables. They made cute placecards with orange or navy trim, used orange napkins, blue mylar runner, blue & orange glitter, and some inexpensive flower arrangements one of the groom's aunts did. You could cut your burlap in squares and put the flowers on top and use burlap ribbons and still use the OBU school colors with the burlap. I think the football/soccer things would be cute and would personalize it more too for them. Isn't that what it's all about? Someone had also put together a slide show of baby/childhood photos of both Sarah and Ryan and it played continuously through the dinner on monitors set up in the room, and then again at the wedding reception. It was a big hit. And I told you about the game the groom's father came up with. Everyone enjoyed that and he came up with the fun questions himself. It was really like a big party and everyone had fun.

Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying Thumbnail by OutsidePlaying
Ripley, MS

Thanks for telling me about the article, there was something about it on the Nightly News too. The drug companies and medical communities have been knowing this for a few years now. That is why they are testing so many drugs. The study Jerry is in has 8 different arms, meaning 8 different types of drugs used. His nurse told him that last week, we had asked her about something and she was explaining why she had to look it up on paper, she said there was no way she could keep everything in her head, she has 18 people using 8 different treatments. He goes this Friday, so I did therapy today and will go again tomorrow.
Genna, the biggest cause of Hepatis C is dirty drug needles, bad transfusions, but if you are worried about it, the test is not that expensive. Jerry's sister had her doc do one on her, she had to have blood as a small child, I think she paid 140.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Checking in real quick. I am still in central AR, staying with friends. I learned while at Charlotte's last Saturday that my sister had a stroke Friday night. I have stayed down here to help out her kids--taking turns at the hospital with Jeanette(my sister). She has no use of her right arm at all and very little use of her right leg. Her speech has been impaired some but she is able to talk although it seems to us that she is worse now than she was on Saturday. It could be the anti-seizure med that they have her on is causing these effects--don't know but they will address these questions with the doctor today or in the morning. I will stay as long as they need me to help fill in. I am staying in Benton with "my other daughter, Michelle". I am welcome here for as long as I need to stay. :o)

Charlotte, I am sorry to hear about your ex. Jeff has his plate full right now--there are lots of decisions to be made, etc.

My daughter has power of attorney for her dad (my ex). He has bone cancer and has been in a nursing home since last July. He was taking chemo but he refused any further treatment since last June and he actually got better for a while--the chemo was literally killing him! However, I don't see how he can last much longer--he is down to 118 lbs. now--pretty much skin and bones--but he keeps hanging on. It's sad to see someone deteriorate like that.

WEll, I have to get ready to go up to the hospital.
You ladies have a good day.

Charlotte, I meant to tell you that I had a great time at your house last Saturday.. It was good to see those who were able to make it but we missed the rest of you "girls". Hugs to all.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I know your sister's family is really glad to have you around to help out.

Jeff does have his hands full right now. He is trying to get all his business in order this week. The hospice nurse was out Mon and Tues and she told Jeff that he will deteriorate very rapidly. She said a lot of people with a white blood cell count as high as his have already died. The blood transfusion they gave him in the hospital is what is keeping him going this week. Jeff tried to get an attorney out to get a power of attorney drawn up and it just really upset him. Said he would bloody his nose if he showed up. He was willing to sign all the papers hospice had which took care of his wishes for medical care and a DNR order. He signed his car title over to him yesterday and today he is taking care of one account that did not have Jeff's name on it as a beneficiary. He is liquidating that account and having the funds put in his checking account. I just printed out a letter for him and he has taken it over for a signature and is coming back to fax it. With that all his financial affairs should be in order.
I am cooking for him. Jeff said the only thing he has eaten is what I have sent over.

Ripley, MS

Poor Jeff it has to be so hard on him. I know he misses his family too.

Marilyn, i hope Jeanette has had a good day today.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Marilyn so sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she recovers all her facilities.
Charlotte remembering Jeff and his dad.

Jeri I tried posting about the ground orchids last night but dg wouldn't let me post. Last night post

Jeri I think this may be the ground orchid that is hardy Bletilla Ground Orchid ( Chinese Summer Orchid )I know I used to grow them at my old house and never worried about it. Just never knew the name. It is a zone 6. I just can't find them around here . Brent and becky has them on line ranging from 5.75 to 9 dollars . they just say they are top size 2 to 3nose. Thought maybe Cleggs or someone had a better price for size. Plant Delights has a striped one I love but ooooh at 26.00. http://www.plantdelights.com/Bletilla-striata-Gotemba-Stripes-Gotemba-Stripes-Hardy-Orchid/productinfo/8409/

Charlotte I found you a start of the striped aspidistra.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thank you Sandra. Jeanette did have a better day today. She was talking better--not slurring her words but it still takes her some time to get the words out. They are moving her to Baptist Rehab in the morning. She will have therapy for 1 1/2 hrs every morning and again in the afternoons. Family can visit any time and even watch the therapy sessions. I think I will drive home tomorrow afternoon once they get her settled in rehab.

Charlotte, I hope all goes well for Jeff with all the paperwork, etc. It can be very frustrating at times when you are dealing with that sort of thing

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

She must really be doing good if they are moving her to rehab already. Hope things go well Marilyn. Have a safe drive home.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Cindy, we crossed. Thanks for your good wishes and prayers for Jeanette.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad Jeannette is doing so well Marilyn!!

Jeff's dad is very strange!! Jeff is seeing just how difficult he can be to deal with. His dad will talk to people on the phone but doesn't want anyone coming to the apartment but Jeff. The hospice Chaplin called this afternoon and wanted to come out and see him. He really got upset over that. He would not want me over there either but wants Jeff to ask my advice about things. He doesn't have any problem with me sending things over there. I sent some clean sheets yesterday in case they were needed.

The more I learn about hospice the more impressed I am with it. The nurse will not be back out until next week unless they call her. But someone will come 24/7 if you call with a need and stay as long as needed. In addition to the nurse someone will come up to 5 times a week to do things like change the sheets, bath him, etc.

Cindy thanks! I had written a post a few minutes ago and it wouldn't let me post. But the variegated orchid reminds me of the walking iris I have. Don't remember for sure who I got it from. But I bought it on one of the Memphis trips. It didn't have a tag but Kathy Ann says it a walking iris. It made it through the really cold winter last year without any problem. Be glad to give you some, if you want it. I'm going to try and post a picture after I post this (if it will let me). Don't want to lose all this again!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

OK now I'm going to try and post the picture. This is from early last spring. It spread a lot during the summer and is much bigger now.

Thumbnail by cperdue
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Forgot to say it stayed green all winter.
It took forever for this one picture to post. It is not letting me post the way it should. I would never be able to upload 5 pictures at that speed!!

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Charlotte I would love to have a small piece if you can get one. I need more variegated foilage in my beds. I had some flag but lost it to the flood.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have plenty Cindy. No problem getting you some. I'm like you I'm trying to get a lot more variegated stuff in my yard. Especially in the back.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

That varigated orchid is nice Cindy..... but that is a pretty steep price. I guess they must be hard to find? didn't realize there was anything in the orchid family that was hardy to zone 6.

Marilyn, glad to hear that your sister is improving enough to go to rehab. My father in law was in Baptist Rehab after his stroke and did really well. They were really good to him!

I have several friends who work as hospice nurses...... amazing people! I am not sure how they do it day in and day out, but I am thankful that someone is willing to. We also have a new hospice facility in El Dorado which is where Troy was before he passed away. They say it is awesome - that the entire family can stay in there with them and that the staff and care is impecable. I have heard lots of wonderful things about it. My friend Diana was at home when she passed away..... hospice was there on a regular basis at the end but they kept her comfortable and she got to spend her last days at home which is what she wanted. Hope that Jeff is able to get everything lined out that the needs to get done. I know that type of thing is very frustrating!

Sandra, I am wondering if HepC is something they would have tested for when I was pregnant, or if that was too early on for them to do so. I have had blood, but it has been since all the testing, but it still made me nervous! Not sure if Leigh had any prior to all the testing or not....... I will need to check with him. Hope Jerry is continuing to do well with his treatment!

Hope everyone has a great day. Have a safe drive home Marilyn.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Really sorry to hear that things are going down-hill for both of your ex's, Marilyn & Charlotte. It's really hard to watch your children go through this. It has totally changed Terrie Ann since Linda died. I pray that your families be strengthened to walk this journey with their loved ones.

Genna I sent you a link to wedding rehearsal & reception ideas. I hope it helps!!!! Pininterest is fast becoming one of my favorite sites.

I've gotten all the house work & office work done, that I'm gonna do this week. Now if the rain will hold off I'll be in the yard. I have lots of winter weeds this year. That bright green one that spreads everywhere. I hope to eradicate it!!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Jeri when you eradicate that bright green spreading weed let me know how!!! I have that stuff everywhere! I've been really busy this week with work stuff and cooking but hope to have more at home time next week and I plan to get out and start cleaning out leaves and pulling weeds in the front beds.

I am glad to know Jeff has figured out how he is going to handle funeral arrangements. His dad wants to be cremated and does not want any kind of service. Jeff is going to have him cremated but after he gets back to CA he plans to have memorial service for him at his church. Jeff says he needs to have a service for himself and wants to do it with his friends and people he knows. Of course he is not planning to tell his dad that. Jeff is keeping his car which has only 50,0000 miles as the boys can use it and he is going to drive it back whenever that is.

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Charlotte I was just getting caught up - so sorry to hear about Jeff's dad - do you know what kind of leukemia it is? Remember back in the summer my mother-in-law was diagnosed with AML leukemia and given 2-3 weeks to live without treatment. She only lived 2 weeks and 4 days and I don't think she would have made it that long had she not also had a transfusion while they were trying to get to the bottom of the situation. Someone told me later that AML is often diagnosed at autopsy because many times the person just dies without ever knowing they have it. I'm not sure which of those would have been easier but I know that I was there and it felt like a slap in the face to hear the doctor say 2-3 weeks, she was very calm and matter of fact but it is still hard to believe sometimes.

I can honestly say that 2 weeks seemed like 2 minutes to her kids and it was very surreal. I am praying for you and for your son:)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Karen he has the same kind and basically the same thing happened here. My son's dad called him last Thursday and told him he needed help. He had a really bad sinus and ear infection that he had been to the doctor for twice within the month but the antibiotics were just not working. He had called his doctor back and the doctor told him to just go into the emergency room. His dad told Jeff he was so weak he could barely walk around. So Jeff caught a plane out of San Francisco at midnight and got here at 10. Jeff was thinking it was probably not as bad it he was telling him, but decided he needed to come. He took him straight to the emergency room and as soon as they got the blood work back they knew it was leukemia and really bad although they didn't know the exact kind at that point. They did a bone marrow biopsy the next day and by Sun they knew it was AML. In the meantime they were giving him a blood transfusion and a IV. He went home Sun about 7 pm and was actually feeling pretty good and also felt pretty good Mon and Tues. The doctors said the blood transfusion had given him a boost but that would wear off quickly and he would rapidly go down hill. Yesterday Jeff noticed that he was sleeping a lot during the day however he was still walking around ok. I haven't heard anything from him yet today so I don't know what today has bought. Jeff has been coming over here around 6 pm and picking up dinner for them and then coming back over here just before bedtime and sleeping here. He has tried to stay over there the last 2 nights but his dad insisted he come back over here. He knows that he will soon have to stay there at night. Tonight may be the night. They got him admitted to the hospice program Mon. The plan is for him to remain in his apartment as long as possible and then they will take him to the hospice on Bowman.
The whole thing has been surreal here too! My son plans to stay here until he is gone. Luckily he as the ability to work remotely.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

We hit an all time record high for Feb today 90 degrees. I was trying to put out pine straw but got way too hot. Now I find out we are going to have winds gusting between 22 and 37 mph for the next 24 hrs. I fought the wind to put out the pinestraw since there is nothing to stop it down the drive, so it will probably be blown away by noon tomorrow. I couldn't wet it because it would take 1000 ft or more of hose to reach it. I feel like it's a fight around here to get anything done. Fri night we are supposed to go down to 36 go figure.

Oh Charlotte that is so sad and sounds so familiar. Wayne's mom slept a lot but other than that she was so normal that his sisters asked the hospice nurse on Tuesday 2 weeks after the diagnosis if there was a chance that they were wrong about the diagnosis. On Thursday she slept all day and was counting to herself so they called Wayne to come by, on Friday she was again super sleepy but still getting up to go the bathroom by herself in fact on Saturday just about an hour before she died she went to the bathroom with help. We were there on Sat afternoon until about 2:00 pm and they called hospice about 5:00 because she was very agitated. They were supposed to call us when they knew something but when they called at 7:40 she was already gone. They believe that she had developed a bladder infection and of course without white blood cells her body could not fight that off.

One thing that really made Wayne feel better was someone who told me that her sister had AML she was in her 40's (Wayne's mom was 86) she did the whole treatment - chemo then a bone marrow transplant then more chemo which lasted almost a year and she died within 24 hours of her last treatment. She said her sister was begging to die by the end. All of that made us realize that even had she agreed to the chemo she would have only suffered and then died which would have been even worse.

Just tell Jeff if he wants to be there to stay because it happens very very fast, which is a good thing in some respects but I think it is very hard on the kids. I am praying for your family.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thank you Karen! That's what the nurses and doctors have told him - that something else will get him - that he will get some kind of infection that will end up taking him out. Right now the thing he is complaining the most of is his hemorrhoids.

How old is he? I'd probably complain too if I had hemorrhoids - that seems like a double curse:)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

He is 73.

According to what Jeff has been told and what he has researched, the chances for someone over 60 responding to treatment is very slim. Someone younger like your friend's sister has a much better chance. But sounds like that treatment was very difficult for her.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 8:06 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.