February, 2012: time for the seed catalogs!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236144/#new

Join us with your latest news and chit-chat.

Thumbnail by marsue
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Marking my spot. Pretty picture, Marilyn!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That is a pretty picture. It reminds me I've got to get some valentine candy to send to my grandkids!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra hope the pain in your arm is better today!!

I was just walking around the backyard and realized my carolina jasmine is getting ready to bloom! It's full of buds and some have already opened!

Ripley, MS

My arm doesn't hurt as long as it is still and propped up, but every time I move, ouchie !!!

i hope I have thanked everyone for the b-day wishes yesterday, they really made the day

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

the other end, which comes half way between elbow and arm pit, i don't know if you can tell, but my elbow is bent

Thumbnail by slcdms
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ouchie, Sandra! Hugs to you!!! By the way, who painted your toenails? :o)

Ripley, MS

LOl, did not realize I was showing off my pedicure, I never had a pedicure in my life until I broke my arm, I got one last week after the surgery date was set. I had one somewhere around Thanksgiving. I could not cut them myself and they were hanging on everything. There are so many things that are a problem you would not think about when your dominant hand is out of order. I will be so spoiled when my hand gets well, I will probably have her keep doing my feet. Being a diabetic it is a good thing, we really have to watch our feet.

Jerry had an appointment today for a blood draw, she told him that the blood she drew last Friday showed 0 HCV !! Praise God, the treatment is working!! He has not had any side effects so far !! She told him to eat some bananas, his potassium was down, slightly, not enough to worry about right now.

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Hello everyone!!! I'm back to the land of the living!!!

Got the end of year accounting stuff done finally so I have time to come and chat again.

Sandra Happy Belated Birthday! So glad you were able to get the surgery done. So glad Jerry's treatments are working!!!

Terrye how in the world do you have the time and energy for it all? My goodness that is a lot to take on, so glad you kept the employees of the store, bet they are a big big help.

Let's see, Jeri I would say you're feeding the cats too much! LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!

Genna you are another busy gal, so glad the storms went around, or over, you, guess there are more coming tomorrow. I hate tornadoes, I'd rather have blizzards.

I read everything and I don't remember it all.

Cindy LOVE the boat, it has character!

Kim don't know if I'll make it to Rita's and Homestead again, if we can afford it we might be in Mexico soaking up some Mexican sun then.

Charlotte my hydrangeas never went completely dormant, they just lost their leaves but the stems are still green, my brugs are still half green but I cut them anyway, my 6 different hibiscus all went dormant, and my daffodils are about half grown, and my not hardy upright ee hasn't gone dormant either, I was waiting for it to so I could cut the bulb in half and share it with Sheila, guess I can still cut it down but it's so big I hate doing that. I'm thinking if we don't get any weather that's colder than this, the bugs are going to be horrible!

Oh yeah, I am definitely coming to the luncheon!!!!

Marilyn I have a hot lips if you want a stem, if I left a stem to root that is, I cut it way back but I'm not sure how close I cut it to the ground. I can go out and look this weekend.

I've been busy busy busy at work and lazy lazy lazy at home, did get my beds cleaned out and everything trimmed back.

Well the phone so I gotta go, see y'all tomorrow!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra really good news about Jerry!!! Know you all were glad to hear it!!!

I don't usual get pedicures in the winter when I were closed toe shoes. But in the summer I always get pedicures as I wear nothing but sandals. Professional pedicures last so much longer than doing my own and feels so good too!!!

Christine good to see you posting!! We haven't heard much from you lately!! I don't worry about taxes until the end of March! LOL I don't have any where near all my stuff yet anyway so need to worry about it!

I pulled a few handfuls of weeds this afternoon. They will be back by tomorrow I'm sure!! I did pick a big bouquet of daffodils and put them on the kitchen table to enjoy! I have some of my ground cover type stuff that has started to bloom. Can't remember the name of it.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Hello all ! Trying to catch up... it has been crazy the past several days.

Sandra, sorry I missed your birthday! Happy belated! I know you will be so thankful to get that cast off! So excited to hear such good news on Jerry! That is awesome! So thankful it is working!!
Pedicures are so nice...don't get to do them often, but I sure enjoy them! :)

Crissy it is good to see you posting! haven't heard from you in a while!

It has been a stressed filled day.... I think I am going to TRY to get to sleep!

Genna

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I ran across this on my son's FB page. He was commenting on a post another friend had made. Struck me as an interesting concept. The school system now seems to be more concerned with standards than actually teaching students.

"Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart; intelligence is not information alone but also judgment, the manner in which information is collected and used." - Carl Sagan

One of my engineering professors used to say that RAM was no good without a CPU. Same thing I guess. He also said that our education system tried to turn students into RAM - void of CPU. Another continuation of Sagan's theme.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Crissy, thanks, I would love a start of the Hot Lips--it should come back from the roots. I never cut mine back as it always put out leaves on the old stems but it put out new shoots from the roots, too. It was one of my favorite plants and best performing ones, too. Sandra gave me my first start of Hot Lips and I bought a plant at Rita's, too, so I had two of them.

Sandra: Great news about Jerry! About the pedicure: it never hurts to spoil yourself a little bit every now and then, especially when you can't do it yourself right now. I have pedicures in the summer when I wear sandals all the time.

Looking forward to seeing the central AR ladies at Charlotte's very soon!
You all must be having some really warm weather for all the plants to be blooming. We have probably been about 10 degrees cooler than ya'll, on average, but it still has been unseasonably warm up here in the Ozarks, too.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, we crossed. There are a lot of "intelligent idiots", if you ask me. Highly intelligent people frequently don't have a lick of common sense and they don't even know when to come in out of the rain!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here is my bouquet of daffodils! Don't remember picking them this early! Decided I should enjoy them inside!

Thumbnail by cperdue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful daffodils, Charlotte! I hope all mine come up that I just re-planted back in December. I looked yesterday and there are a couple just now emerging from the ground so I guess that is a good sign! There is one clump that I missed digging up last summer before we put in the fence. They are about six inches tall now but no buds on them yet. This particular clump somehow ended up right in front of the back gate so I will have to dig them up when they finish blooming and put them somewhere else. The original owner of the house planted these daffodils years ago. Isn't it wonderful how hardy daffodils are!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte:; I went to the "contact us" page (link at the bottom of each page on DG)

and clicked on the FAQ link and came up with this:

http://davesgarden.com/signup.php

It should take you to the page where Sarah can sign up.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for looking that up marilyn. It's been so long since I joined I had forgotten how to do it. I was actually a paying member for about a year before I found out about the communities! Debra was the one that told me how it all worked.
Debra has been really busy helping with her FIL. He had a mild stroke a few weeks ago. Recovered from it fine but they now have sitters going in to be there when he showers and also in the afternoon. He went back in the hospital last week for a few days but is back at his apartment. He is 97 and is also has dementia.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Good morning ladies we are having some nasty weather. It has rained all night and the bones are feeling it.

Sandra That is wonderful news about Jerry. I hope you are getting better every day.

Charlotte love the daffs. I have been planting some new ones down my long driveway. I know they won't bloom this year but I like to buy them when they are discounted. Now if the weather would just cooperate a little.
Your son's thoughts remind me of one of my favorite Albert Einstein quote.
Not exactly the same thing but it all boils down to how you process the information you are given. This quote shows that although he was a genius he could reason on a common level. We must still think for ourselves. That is why practical thinking and reasoning robots are still a thing of the future. Maybe not the distant future though.

This message was edited Feb 3, 2012 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Love the Einstein quote!!!

You can never get too many daffs!!! I just love them! The ones I have blooming now are just the plain old ordinary ones. The bigger ones don't usually bloom until later so maybe I'll have them blooming for a while.
It rained here last night. Right now it's just overcast and sort of drizzling now and then. The few weeds I pulled yesterday probably just made room for twice as many with all this rain and warm weather!

Thanks everyone!!

Marilyn I have to cut mine back, it had a slew of thatch in it and it was way way too big for where it's at. I'll get you some of it. YES!! People who are too smart for their own good!

Nice daff's Charlotte! I got some big bulbs from someone at one of the RU's, must have been Kenny's RU. Those are half way up already and my little ones are about to start budding. Crazy crazy weather.

(((((((((((((DEBRA))))))))))))))

LOL Cindy that's great! Those daff's are going to look good next spring!

It rained at my house too last night, actually came down pretty good for a little while.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Love the Einstein quote Cindy! Thanks for sharing.... and Charlotte your son is right, our educational system is ridiculous! In other countries - Japan, China EVEN, and India , all the European Countries education is SUCH a BIG deal.... and considered to be an honor to continue it....... Our first exchange student's brother had to get out of school at 13 because he wasn't making the grades. He had to get up at 6 am every morning and ride his bicycle to work. At some point, he would be given the option to go back and finish his work but ONLY if he did the work and kept his grades acceptable. The ACT range in Jessica's class goes from 11 - 33! The average is 19...... so even with all the 'teaching to the test' the kids aren't even bothering to put out any effort. I know not all of them will be straight A students, but the kids don't really care if they graduate, or what their gpa is or if they get into college or not ! WHAT do they think they are going to do for the rest of their lives??

Ok, off my soap box..............and back to work ! :)

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Genna, they think they are going to sit around on the couch and download Itunes to their Ipod or play computer games all day while their parents continue to support them! Sad, but too true in many cases!!

Great Einstein quote, Cindy! Some folks are college material and some are not but that doesn't mean that they aren't intelligent. My son could put together model cars and airplanes before he could read. He would just look at the directions and before you knew it he would have it all glued together. When he was 9, he put together a stereo cabinet for me just by looking at the pictures--he didn't even read the directions. I had read the directions and still couldn't figure it out! LOL However, he is not good when it comes to "book-learning" but he is very smart. "Different strokes for different folks". :o)

Crissy, you may have gotten those daffodil bulbs from me. I dug up several hundred of them last summer when we were putting in our new fence and took a couple of big sacks of the bulbs to one of our get-togethers. I'm glad to know that they are coming up, even if you didn't get them from me. :o) I didn't get my own in the ground until after Christmas--had them in the bottom of the fridge for several weeks. I hope I didn't freeze them to death! LOL

Genna Marilyn is right, this generation is horrible, they don't want to do anything but mooch off of their parents. I even heard one boy tell his mom if she didn't want to support him his whole life she shouldn't have had him. Mom didn't do anything about it, just said, OK. My Goodness!

I think I did get them from you Marilyn. I seem to recall.... hhhmmmmm I can't wait til they bloom!

Ripley, MS

Jerry was shocked at how the kids in his class acted when he was in school too. These were the kids coming to school straight from high school, they slept, listened to their iPods, talked on phones, went and played pool in the rec room instead of attending class.
Amanda has 14 and 15 year olds in her class and she can tell you some wild stuff !

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn I totally agree! College is not for everyone. Good example was my son's good friend in high school. He just had a difficult time with school work. My son spent many a hour helping him get through high school. He never considered college but got a job with the state on a survey crew. He discovered it was something he really liked and went to some kind of survey school. He is now the successful owner of his on survey co. On the other hand his high school girl friend who he later married made straight A's all the way through grade school, junior hugh andhigh school. She was an engineering student in college and made only one B in her entire 4 years of college. She was extremely upset she made it. She was in high demand when she graduated. One she was a female engineer and two her high grade point. She married someone without a college degree but they were each just as successful in their own right. Guess I'm trying to say that a college degree doesn't always dictate whether someone will succeed or fail.

No it does not Charlotte, you are right there! Dave didn't even graduate high school, he lived in Malvern, AR at the time and his dad was a very violent, mean man. Got tired of him being around all the time so he threw him out when he was 15. No choice but to go to work in the brick yard. After him and his best friend moved to Houston where his mom lived at the time and there was lots of work there he went into the Army to get his GED and other Military benefits and went into manufacturing when he got out and has worked at quite a few companies and makes good money when he works. The problem with manufacturing is it's only good as long as the product is being sold and/or the economy doesn't go kapoot. He worked for Compaq when the .com crash happened. He made $100,000 a year there. He now makes $17 something an hour at Slime Tire Sealant as a Production Coordinator. He took some college but never graduated with anything.

As for me, I was a very very average student, B's and C's, sometimes even D's, and if it had anything to do with Literature Comprehension I flat out flunked. I didn't go to college for a full year after I graduated high school, I just wanted to make money so I could move out of my mom's house. After I saved enough to move out at 21 years old I went to Modesto Junior College off and on for a number of years, then decided to get somewhat serious and went to Heald Business College for an AA in Business Administration, which I got in August 1997. I couldn't find a job utilizing that at all, I must have changed career paths 10 times before I woke up and realized that my love is computers, I love working on, being on, programming on, and whatever else a geek can do on a computer. So in 2003 I went to University of Phoenix in Modesto for a BA in IT, graduated Dec 31, 2005, so I was 33 years old before I got my BA degree and guess what..... I'm still not utilizing it, now I'm utilizing my AA Degree that doesn't even count anymore, go figure!

Ripley, MS

Crissy, you are so funny, I got a good laugh out of your post. I did not finish high school either as the girls got married young at that time. I did get a GED later on, but I would encourage everyone to get an education now if possible. For one reason the manufacturing business has pretty much tanked in America, that is how uneducated people always made a living. When I was in my 20's I could get a job easily at any of the manufacturing plants, I had learned enough at that time to function well at any company. There was anywhere from 30-40 furniture plants within a 50 mile radius. Now there is only one major plant- Ashley's and maybe 5 smaller family owned businesses.

I am glad to hear Dave is working again!

LOL!!!! It's true though! You're not the only one who is glad he's working again! Sheesh!!! He was soooo frustrated with everything, he's so hyper he has a very hard time blending in here, and pretty much is way too Californian. A Californian finally called him, they flew him out at their cost in mid September to interview him in person after one phone interview, hired him on the spot, he came back home then flew back to CA for one month training, which he got sent home early because he's done this job before, he just didn't have the title to go with it.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I think every one should further their education but it may be a vocational or technical school is better suited for some people.
They do need to apply themselves regardless of what they do!

Ripley, MS

Charlotte, do you have the app that you can take free classes on? I was thinking about getting it, I think it is free and some of the classes are free and some are not.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I didn't know there was an app like that. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Ripley, MS

I am loading it now, it is ITunesU. It is free

Wonder if there's an app for Android.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Found it! Sounds interesting! I'm downloading it also.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have it downloaded and it is really interesting!! I've already download a few things! I don't need to get all involved in it tonight! It just continues to amaze me what all is available through Ipad apps.

Ripley, MS

I found a few things too, lots of different subjects too.

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Did we set a definite date for Rita's? Just need to put it on my calendar.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Cindy I don't think so. But I think Kathy Ann said something about it will probably be the 20th. Don't hold me to that however.

Finally got my dining room painted. It was supposed to happen last winter but I just didn't get to it after the hallway, foyer and living room. Spring happened!! Still have the spot behind my big china cabinet but I'm going to have to have a neighbor help me move it out from the wall. Also going to have to have my neighbor help me get down and put back up two huge chinese urn things. Don't know how I got them up there. I guess Richard helped me but he can't do that now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.