Anyone still making terrariums??

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Thank y'all for the kind words. I sometimes sell the terrariums at the local farmer's market. I'm just now learning that the moss doesn't like the lids being on the jars, so I'm having to rethink my plantings.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Must be the time of year. I always start thinking of terriams about now and then with the summer rush they tend to get forgotten. I have a couple of old containers and a new tall glass vase to plant. I picked up a few small plants and am planning on getting one or two of them planted. Will post pictures when I do.

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

Seems like there are some great finds in decorative jars out there this year. It's taken all my will power not to buy them. We have a store called "Tuesday Morning" that sells expensive items at reduced prices, they had some real beauties. Maybe I could let a few of my old houseplants die so I would have room for something new, LOL.
I am going to the Shell Shop on my birthday next week and pick out a big shell for a planter, I found the cutest miniature porcelain hermit crab to put in with the plants. I'm going to use succulents.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

AhHa, That is just where I got my last jar from. I think it was less than $9. It is 7in in diameter and 12in tall. This one didn't come with a lid but I am sure I can come up with something or just let it open. I picked up several plants last week and I have some very nice moss growing outside that I can harvest. Sorry the pic is sideways.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I want to see it with the plants in it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I planted it up tonight with a couple of small ferns, some moss from the yard and a dark leaved pepperonia. Pictures didn't come out too good I will try tomorrow and see if I can get some better pics in the day light.

toms river, NJ

This has been growing covered all winter - took top off today.
Saw some great terrariums at Philadelphia show recently. Some with great blooming miniature sinningia.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

dggardenerguy, Do you have any pic's? We didn't get the the Philly Show this year but their terrarium displays always make me want to run out and make a few. Some of them are just spectacular. I always wonder where they get such great pants for in them. I never find that kind of variety. I bet those sinningia are just beautiful.
Here are a couple of pics of the one that I just made.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
toms river, NJ

HollyAnn,
Took some pictures but not of terrariums.
Like your terrarium and leaded cover - did you make the cover.
I had intended to attach a picture of one of my terrariums to above comment but somehow it didn't take - it is at top of this thread.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I did make it. The glass jar I bought didn't have a top, but I was pretty sure I could come up with something that would work. This old leaded piece that I made years ago just seemed to be the thing.
On to the next one.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That worked out well, Holly.

dggardenerguy posted this photo on a separate thread ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1353376/

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks,
That is very attractive and growing quite well.

Letcher, SD(Zone 4b)

I have what looks like a Nano Aquarium with a small adjustable LED light. The body is 8x8x8 inches. The light only lights up a small section of the tank no matter at what height it is set at. I had thought of desert plants but it was to heavy to move after filling it close to the top so the plant would have air flow.
It doesn't have a lid either (rummage sale find). I am trying to figure out what kind and how many plants as well as soil to use in it.

Letcher, SD(Zone 4b)

Anyone have thoughts on how to use AeroGarden Sprout (old style) with CFL Grow Lights as terrarium?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.