What do you use to tie down your greenhouses?

Dix, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi, I bought a Palram Nature 6x6 greenhouse a month ago and it's still in its boxes due to the weather. We have a lot a wind here and a lot more storms than we used to and I've been researching different methods of anchoring a greenhouse and was curious what everyone has to say that actually owns one. My plan is to mount mine to a 4x4 wood foundation for rigidity and I'm thinking about using ground augers, maybe. Any pros/cons with your set up? Any advise and hardware ideas will be very appreciated. Thanks, Tracy.

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

I anchored my 12x15 GH with 4x4's 30 inches in the ground on each corner. It hasn't moved so far.

Wayne

Dix, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks, WayneKY! Wow, a 12x15, I'm jealous. I am assuming that your posts are just buried and not in concrete?

Cadiz, KY(Zone 6b)

Correct just buried, no concrete. My greenhouse has a 2x6 base so I shot long screws through the 2x6 into the post. I'm growing in the native soil below the greenhouse so I assumed that at some point I might need to move it.

Wayne

Dix, IL(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I didn't want to use concrete in case I wanted to move it in the future.

Houston, PA(Zone 6a)

Mines the same as Wayne's but we used 6 instead of 4 and mine have some concrete in the holes too.

Thumbnail by roxxanne
Dix, IL(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the picture, roxxanne. That helps!

East Prairie, MO(Zone 7a)

I am looking at one of the small greenhouses that Big Lots has for $69 dollars and was wondering how to anchor it down. I too have high winds here at times. wondering if it would hold up and how to anchor it down. Any thoughts on this little greenhouse as a starter one.

Sami

Mint Hill, NC(Zone 7a)

We used wire rope and duck bill achors on a 8x11, drilled holes in the base run the rope through the holes clamped the ends and achored it. If it needs to be moved I will just remove the clamps and cut the rope at ground level.
It has been assembled and disassembled 2xs.

Dix, IL(Zone 6a)

Sami,

I'm guessing you are referring to the walk in greenhouse with shelves. Looking at a picture of it, you might try the set up solxexx uses for its greenhouse. They use a J hook bolted into the metal frame legs and then use a turnbuckle to tighten it to a ground auger. If it's attached at all 4 corners, I would think it would be pretty sturdy. the duck bill anchors that Chicory31 uses would probably work as well. I think those are attached to a bolt into your frame.

Bark River, MI

We used four screw-in type ground anchors, one at each corner, to hold down a 7 x 15' hoop house and have had no problems. We attached the anchors to the frame using 'cable ties' so we could move it to a different location more easily when/if we decide to do so. The tops of the anchors are the red things in the photos.

Thumbnail by Weedwhacker Thumbnail by Weedwhacker

thanks for the info I think I missed the sale on the greenhouses anyway. I have a patient that I take care of in my home and did not get a chance to go and get the greenhouse It is probably gone by now.

Sami

Well I spoke too soon. I decided to call big lot and they still had them. Sending DH to get one for me. Would it be better to put it out in the open somewhere are should I try to put it close to the house to break the wind from it. We have the sun coming up in front of the house in the am and then back of the house afternoon. I have the dog fence that I could also anchor it to in the back and it would get full sun all day.

Sami

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.