Your Help Needed

Louisville, KY

Your help needed
Some of you know that my wife has had some on going health problems; she was recently in the hospital for eight days and is now home receiving care from three nurses with different skills during the week. I am her main caregiver and this keeps me quite busy.

One of the nurses cares for an elder lady in the same community we live in. I do not know her or where she lives. Her daughter is a caregiver and a son and his wife live a short distance away. They migrated from Russia and enjoy growing a few vegetables in a small space. They miss the tomatoes they loved in the old country. I was wondering if anyone here might have some spare Russian seed varieties they could share. I would be willing to send a SASE. Contact me via PM here if you have seed you might be able to share.
Happy Gardening to us all!
Gary

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

While it is actually of Ukrainian origin, I just purchased an heirloom called "Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato." It was chosen by a Russian space engineer turned gardener Mikhailovich Maslov. It is described as "early enough for a quick Russian summer...." Tomatoes mature 80 days from transplanting. Vladislaw Volkov was a Russian astronaut who perished while returning from the first trip to the earth's space station. We're strting them indoors this weekend.

You can check out seedlibrary.org. I bought them from the Hudson Valley Seed Library at the 2012 Connecticut Flower & Garden Show on Thursday.

If you need any more info, please D-Mail me.

Gary, I hope your wife is improving. Care-giving is tough on the body and tough on relationships.

Marcia

Dearborn, MI

I didn't see your post earlier, but I have seeds for several varieties listed as Russian or Ukrainian on Tatianas tomatobase. They are Black Krim, Black Prince, Caspian Pink, Gigant Pelina, Gregori's Altai, Kazachka, Malackhitovaya Shkatulka and Moscovich. I also have the Polish variety Bawole Serce which is the same as the Russian variety Bychye Serdtse. Just send me a D-mail if interested

Hope things are going a little better for you by now. I know you have referred to your own health issues before and this must be difficult. Thoughts and prayers.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Gary, for some reason I don't see the post that I made here, so I'll shorten it up.

I have several varieties from what we used to know as the former USSR, now the CIS ( Commonwealth of Independent states) and the only overlap with what Nancy offered is the variety Kazachka, a black cherry, which I got from Andrey in Belarus several years ago and have been offering my annual seed offer at Tville for many years as well..

I always forget to check my DG mail so if you're interested, please e-mail me at cmale@aol.com

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.