When & How to prune an apricot tree

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My mom has an apricot tree that is around 5 - 7 years old. We're in SW Virginia and I'm having a hard time finding a site that tells when to prune. Some sites suggest winter, some spring after leaves appear - wide range of google searches. Any help will be appreciated. I do not know the variety of apricot.

Kathy

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

I suggest you google Dave Wilson Nurseries for some good info. on their website. I prune right after harvest for tree size and while the tree is dormant for cleanup and shape. Don't forget an appropriate spraying routine. Don

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Don,
Thanks for the response. Please tell me more on the spraying. My mother has the tree and I know she doesn't do anything to it. I purchased it for her some years ago and now that her husband has passed away she doesn't know what to do for it - any help will be appreciated. I will google your suggestion.

Thanks Don
Kathy

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

The subject of spraying is to diverse and envolved to condense it into one brief post. You will get some tips, I believe, when you goggle Dave Wilson Nursery. I use an oil spray during the winter as a precautionary preventative spray. Other than that most spraying is for a specific pest or disease.that might be threatening your tree(s). You can find out what might be a threat in your area by contacting your County Agent or the Ag. Dept. at a local University. Don

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

My opinion -
Don't prune or spray unless you have a reason to do so. After you read up on what you need to do, if it is describing a problem you don't have, then you don't need to do it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.