Building a New Garden

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

It's the dead of winter in the Midwest and I've got cabin fever. I miss the hours spent in my garden, so I've been scanning the garden catalogs, looking at all the plants I'd love to add to my garden. Unfortunately, I've run out of room in my border garden - in order to plant something new, I'll need to pull out something I already have (and love). Plus, many of the things I'd like to add require full sun, but my lot has many mature trees, so I have very few areas of full sun.

Yesterday I decided the only way to solve the dilemma is to add a new garden space. It occurred to me I could build a new garden in the center of my lawn. This will solve all my problems - the area gets the most light of any area in my yard (as close to 'full sun' as you'll find in my neighborhood), it's a large, clear space - a 'blank page' on which I can design a new garden - and, it will eliminate a lot of grass!

I'm excited - this will give me something to work on in the cold, winter months. I can spend hours planning the space, researching plants and mentally 'planting' the new garden.

This thread has 314 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!