Impatient Gardener: The right plant at the right size

Baltimore, MD

I have ordered both perennials and shrubs through the mail to get exactly the plant I wanted. My experience is that I have to sacrifice size for obtaining my preferred plant. An example: Four years ago I mail-ordered two compact viburnum bushes so they would not eventually reach 8 feet and outgrow the space alloted for them. Now, four years later, they are almost 2 feet tall and have developed their first flowering buds this past fall, 2011. I believe I could have looked hard and long at local garden centers without finding these particular small viburnum which will max out at 4 feet. Most of the past three years, I have referred to them as "my babies" but really I should have called them "my infants". Are there any resources unlike such catalogs as Bluestone Perennials or Wayside Gardens that offer other than ordinary mainstream plants at more than "infant size"?

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

You could try Fairweather Gardens and Rarefind Nursery, both in NJ but you might look for some boutique nurseries within driving distance from your place.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7a)

Violet, you're not too far from Homestead Gardens, in Davidsonville, MD (just outside of Annapolis), and they've got quite an extensive selection of perennials. It might be worth checking out.

Here's a link to their website: http://www.homesteadgardens.com/

They have a store in Severna Park too, but it's much smaller.

Good luck!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hoemstead is awesome. I wonder if you could order from them and pick it up in Severna Park, saving you another half hour drive- but you really want to see the original Homestead if you have a chance. It is awesome.
Very near Homestead is Main's Greenhouse, last time I went, several years ago, they had new ownership and some very interesting choices.
I'm trying to remember other mail orders...

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Violet, if you're ever in Howard County, try River Hill in Clarksville. They're much smaller than Homestead or Behnkes, but they have a pretty good variety and reasonable prices. I wonder if they'd order plants for you to pick up. I got a large, healthy limelight hydrangea from them this year.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I hate to spend a lot of $$ for a plant in a 4" pot just because I can't find it locally. I especially feel that way about Tropicals that I pay big $$ for and then find in Fl. for 1/2 the $$ at 3 times the size.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

I've not attended yet but I would think that the annual plant show and sale at the National Arboretum here in DC would be a treasure trove of the best plants around as well as sources of local specialty nurseries. This years sale is April 27 and 28. and admission is free.

http://www.fona.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=43&Itemid=75

"The public is invited to attend the FONA Plant Sale on Friday, April 27 between 1 and 4 pm, and Saturday, April 28 between 9 am and 4 pm. Most of the plants on offer from FONA will not be found at area nurseries and garden centers. Several of the best wholesale growers around the country are providing us with rare and hard to find selections, some of which they are donating in order to support the Arboretum. Our independent vendors include specialty retail nurseries offering hard-to-find hellebores and conifers. Click on the plant list on the left side of the page to browse our 2011 selections. Our 2012 offerings will be posted as soon as they are available."

Pequannock, NJ(Zone 6b)

See - and usually these places are inspiring to visit.
BTW, just because the label says so, doesn't mean it won't eventually reach 8'. Not saying you can't get one that stays smaller but plants do keep growing.

Baltimore, MD

Thank you all so much. I certainly came to the right forum to find local or almost local sources of unusual shrubs and perennials as well as sources of larger (and understandably more expensive) plants. Now I am longing even more to hop in my car and make a day trip out of plant shopping. Come on Spring! Today is Baltimore's first winter day of light snow.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Violet, What kind of plants are you looking for? Yes, field trips are always fun. Just got an idea for a book "Plant Hunters Guide to the Mid Atlantic: Day Trips." I love demonstration gardens where I can see for myself some mature plants and combos I'm thinking of growing. So, what are you into plant-wise? Maybe we can keep our eyes peeled for you!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN had some nice plants and the fall Arborfest at the Virginia Arboretum was great. http://blandy.virginia.edu/ Some growers had a good selection of natives and some unusual selections. Across the board I'd say most of the prices were reasonable. It's early enough in Oct. to get 'em home and tucked in. Ric

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

The Virginia Arboretum also hosts a really wonderful spring plant sale and I believe it is held on Mother's Day weekend. The Spring sale and Fall's Arborfest are not to be missed!

Coleup- I would buy such a book! The have them for knitters and quilters, why not gardeners?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

We're usually on our way home from OBX on the last day of Arborfest,the friends we travel with were going on the way home and RCN was going to be there, so we went. It was nice and broke up or travel day, I got some dwarf variegated boxwood for my garden border among other things. Thank heaven we're carrying 2 weeks of vacation with us, it limits our space. :-} I remember one trip home, after stopping at the pottery factory in Williamsburg, Holly rode home with her feet in part of a bird bath and the pedestal was strapped on the bumper if I'm not mistaken. LOL Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.