Tropical Plants and Gardens #116

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sigh, guess I have to start feeding my fancy broms, maybe mine would set buds then. LOL I am so spoiled by these bilbergias, those things bloom no matter how badly you ignore them.

Last year, because of the cold I think, my Taiwanese cycad did not form it's cone until very late in the summer. It has not yet disintegrated and a new cone is already forming underneath it. See my little friend hiding between the layers?

Thumbnail by ardesia
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow Elaine that last Bromiliad is really amazing, never seen any that striking. There are quite a few different kinds out there....the one growing in the tree is something else, I didn't know they could do that.

Ardesia that is a great photo catch!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I think that tree limbs are the most common place for broms to grow in the 'wild', Sherri.

Here's a pic of a big oak tree at the Marie Selby Botanical Gardens adorned with broms and orchids. It really is a sight to behold.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

Wonderful pictures! Come on spring!

Thumbnail by homer1958
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Sherri, if you're interested, I made a new thread with some pictures of broms I took at a local garden center today. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241055/

On a mission here . . . there must be some that you'd like, and they're really such great plants as far as easy care goes. Their only drawback that I've ever found is some of them are a bit thorny. Great for keeping the local dogs and cats at bay, though.

Cheers Elaine

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Elaine, gorgeous colors on those.

homer those leaves are huge already and they arent even outside yet. i agree come on spring!

Thumbnail by candela
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Cassie, I don't like to post without a picture, so apologize for the repeat. That's a gorgeous floofy orchid!

Drew, you'll be living in your car. Only room in the house for plants and cats pretty soon!

Got a cyclamen with pretty leaves at HD yesterday. You just never know what treasures they'll have.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

So, I left two teenage brugs unsupervised in a jar of water for a few weeks, and what happens? They mesh their roots, and make buds!
I feel like a bad parent.

They didn't want to come out of that durned narrow-necked jar, either. Nearly a shotgun wedding, I'd have had to take the shotgun to the jar . .

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Anyway, I have 9 healthy starts of Monster White with lots of roots. Six of them fit in the 4in. pots I had prepared, but I had to go back and scrounge up some gallon pots for the three biggest ones. I'm going to need to send them out in a couple of weeks if the weather stays warm, or they'll get too big.

You can see the teenagers are still embracing each other, too. It must be spring . . .

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Elaine, if you cut the bottoms with roots a bit off and plant those as well you can get at least 3 more plants from what I see... LOL
I did an inventory of my brugs downstairs... 39 all named except 6 noids... so guess I will be sending a few more out.. lost the tag off my MW so would you please reserve a monster white for me? Someone got the Damien since I can't find him, he is white as well.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Um, that would be me who got Damien. Here he is with a sort of bonsai look going on . . . must be the pot.

I was thinking a couple of those long ones will get cut off again. But . . do I need more? I sure will save a Monster for you, and you can have Damien back if you want? He's had a nice vacation in my veggie garden this winter.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Elaine and Deb, you made me laugh - both of you are SO SWEET!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Picked up a hint somewhere (have no idea where) that Rita has moved. Anyone know?

I do not know if Rita has moved or not, I sent her an email today, maybe she will respond? I really want to meet her and as many people I can while on my trip this year..
You can keep Damien, Elaine, I have not seen him bloom, hopefully you will and show me and then I might want a piece of him, I thought he might be a triple white, but don't know for sure.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, if Rita's been moving, we sure can forgive her for abandoning us temporarily. I'd hate to think of having to move all those wonderful plants of hers!

Anybody notice the new feature? We can upload up to 5 images per post now - yay!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I contacted Tropiflora about the pink flowered billbergia and they thought it might be a B. Porteana, which they do not carry but is similar to the B. Rosea that they do carry. After looking at lots of pictures I think the leaves are too different but what do I know. I have now emailed Selby but their "contact us" page does not allow for a photo to be attached. I told them I had a picture and hopefully they will follow up and give me an address to send the photo.

This shot shows more of the leaves.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Alice, post it on the DG plant identification forum - those people are AMAZING!

That is gorgeous! gollly!
also, I wanted to say the purple orchids are really nice, almost look like iris.

Pretty cyclamen, their leaves are so unique!
No word back from Rita, yet.

The last time I heard from Rita, she and her husband were considering moving to the Texas Hill Country. You Texan's may very well know where she may abide now. Hopefully she will check in before long.......

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 11:22 PM

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i did my morning walk through the rain and heat has woken everything up. so this is the first try to upload 5 images.

Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow it must be staying warmer down there...I've got new growth showing up on alot of things but nothing is blooming like that here. We FINALLY got an whopping 1 in. of rain. We sooo needed it.
Cassis I love the Orchid !!

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

i am so glad it has poured for the last 3 days. the begonias are starting, osmanthus, brunfelsia.

Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela Thumbnail by candela

Holy COW, Cassie - just beautiful!

Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

Four weeks without my garden--Yikes this is rough! SO I got a table fountain, a Publix orchid, a friend brought camellias and I have Valentine's Day to look forward to! I'm living vicariously through DG and the pictures my neighbor takes. She's taking great care of the garden, but when I go home--field trip to the east coast!!!!!
The camellias have expired, but here's my desk. We have huge numbers and lots of new people as well. Can't complain.
Our office is surrounded my very large old oaks and after the rain the resurrection fern was spectacular. Would have take pictures if I had had a moment free.
Happy Gardening!

Thumbnail by Debijaynes
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a cute little desk garden there, Debi. Our sympathies on your case of garden withdrawal. I thought of you on our orchid hunt in Apopka Tuesday afternoon. It's about an hour's drive south of you, maybe less. Dozens of orchid growers selling out of their massive greenhouses at mad prices there. You really should take an afternoon off and go.

Sweet little Encyclia alata I got for $8 at Krull-Smith Orchids. Plus a yellow Tolumnia that turns peachy as the flowers age.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Red Oak, TX

Hi Everyone!!
I am still in Red Oak and have a few more houses to look at, it will take us some time to make this big decision, it is supposed to be our second and last home. We have also decided to stay in Texas to be close to our family and friends.
I have enjoyed all the pictures and comments, especially where the plants that I shared were posted. I felt very proud. In the Spring, I will have pictures to show of plants that you have sent me. A few have perished from bugs and a flood last month.
Please forgive my absence, again it is good to see everyone posting and sharing pictures!!

I did have a few blooms that I did not have time to post, the first is a Clerodendron from RJ, the second is a Amazon lily and the third is the first bloom on a Uncarnia grandidieri

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita
Red Oak, TX

These were my Christmas presents, Lady bugs, macho fern and a heavy duty oscillating fan for my hoop house.

Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita Thumbnail by prita

Hey, Lady Bug!!!! It's wonderful to see you posting again. Take your time and make an informed decision on your home - I know you will!!! Please come back, when time permits, and update us! Hugs, Jo

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

We sure did miss your posts and wonderful pictures, Rita! Hope the house hunting is successful and you find a place that fits you.

We were afraid you'd gone to Belize, never to return.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

omgosh, rita, what are those purple blooms of? Please tell me those are from queen emma crinum.. LOL

Hi, Deb! Yes, those are Q.E. Crinums - aren't the GORGEOUS?!

Oh My Goodness! Oh gosh! I can't WAIT for mine from Rita to do that.. here is hoping, she looks so good right now..

here she is tonight.. and company on that end of basement..
and Kaitlyn a couple weeks ago.. and now.. she will get more color today.. erm.. tonight.. and a little bloom on the glory vine this am....

Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife Thumbnail by joeswife

Those plants look happy and wonderful, Deb!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Love that blue MG with the pink throat, Deb. Just beautiful.

My 'Shooting Star' clerodendron is finally opening flowers after a wait of over 2 months since the buds appeared! The plants have been in there for over 4 years, and this is the first time they've managed to bloom as well. Now, (wouldn't you know) we are in for a couple of cold nights over the weekend. Sure hope the flowers don't all get zapped!

Elaine, will you root me a cutting of that Clero, for trade with me, if it's possible that I have something you don't already have!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

I have 3 cuttings of it that look like they're getting ready to send out roots. BUT

Are you sure you want this variety? It's been really tender and not bloomed for me until this year. You'd have to keep it in your greenhouse and baby it through winter every year. And they get to be huge plants every summer even though I prune them down to 3ft. every year! You can't prune them down to a reasonable size for winter either, because you'll cut off all the potential blooms.

I love it for the pretty foliage, but wouldn't wish it on a friend, even if you lived in Sarasota. You're colder than here, so . . up to you!

I'll be glad to trade you for some of your red Aechmea bulbs, if you want the clero.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 12:09 PM

Red Oak, TX

Good morning Everyone!!
It is awfully cold here this morning, I have been up making sure that my heaters are working properly.
Kay Jones, thanks for the kind words.

Joeswife if your Crinum does not bloom for you this summer, I will have a blooming size blulb for you.

dyzzy, after seeing the Clerodendron shooting star posted by you and candela, I brought my plant indoors. I hope to have blooms next year!
You asked to show pictures of my Bromeliads for Sherri, I started a new thread and showed a few of the new plants.
Follow us over here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242077/

Thumbnail by prita
Marco Island, FL(Zone 10b)

I wold LOVE to take an afternoon off! I'm on my 28th straight day of working and we don't think we'll have a day off til the end of circuit--March 20!
I plan to hit that wonderful grower in Sarasota on the way home-way too many temptations there and then I can go home and play!

Huntersville, NC(Zone 7b)

What kind of circuit Debi?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.