Show Us Your Snow!

Lake Stevens, WA

Looks like we have 3-4 inches. Dogs like it.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Birds feeding

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Hellebore coming to life.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

This is pretty under the snow! BH I think you have this as well.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Witch Hazel. Still smells great even in the cold.

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Duck are thinking maybe we should have gone south!

Thumbnail by springcolor
Lake Stevens, WA

Burrrr!

Thumbnail by springcolor
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice pics springcolor. What is the yellow flower with the green stalks?

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

We had a nice covering of snow today. More expected to night. It was a beautiful day!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

A herd of deer wandered into my neighbors yard and hung out for a while. I enjoyed them very much.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

The snow was knee high on my chihuahua Sweetpea. She does not like cold feet!

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Lake Stevens, WA

WW, that is Winter Jasmine

So many deer Bedhive! What do they do to your yard or do you just plant things deer don't like. Cute pup.That liitle sweetpea would freeze in a second. What does she weight? My niece has a brown one named Tessy.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful pictures! feels like winter. I'm happy so long as the power doesn't go out and I have heat.

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

There are many deer in this area. I moved to this house 6 months ago..so I am not sure what will happen to the garden come spring. The back yard has 4ft chain link fence (ugly) but it seems to detract the deer from coming in. I have an appointment to put a picket fence around the front garden this morning. My guess this appointment will be posponed due to the snow still on the ground. The front yard was planted with "deer resistant" plants and the back with things I love but will really need to keep an eye out for the deer hopping the fence.Sweetpea is about 5lbs. She has a sister dog named Blossom.

Thumbnail by BeaHive
Lake Stevens, WA

She is cute too. Looks a lot like Tessy.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

We still have our outdoor Christmas lights up and are still turning them on.

Thumbnail by kosk0025
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

kosk, That is a very nice winter garden picture. I like the lights.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Our ol' fisherman sitting on top of a snag.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

The pond is not even frozen, just not that cold out, makes for some sloppy snow.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Leo the cat gingerly trying out the shoveled walk, otherwise she'd be sunk up to her eyeballs I think.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

An upward shot through a curly willow.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

Another shot of the heron, with the creek in the foreground. So pretty out there. Looking forward to another dump tonight, then it should warm up and go away. Perfect.

Thumbnail by bonehead
Lake Stevens, WA

Kosk, Love your lights! They would be nice all year.
BH, so you got some snow. We must have 8-9 inches now. Your cat looks mad. Nice picture of the heron. There is one that flys in here every evening.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

The view from the living room this morning.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl
Lake Stevens, WA

Sharon,
How are you and Julie doing up on the MT? Sure a beautiful picture. Take care.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful shots. Love the curly willow. Your cat looks just like my Shadow. Same coloring.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Torrential rain in Oregon with rapidly melting snow = a big mess in my yard. I've never had puddles like this before. I hope the Washington snow melts more gradually.

Lake Stevens, WA

Word on the news is no. Not looking forward to this mess. Kosk, how is the wind down there. Sure was pretty while it lasted.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

On a gardening note---the heavy snow crushed and destroyed my pop-up greenhouse that I use as a cold frame, which resulted in the overturning of all of my "Ruffled Patty" and "Patty's Plum" papaver orientales that I had started out there. :-( Neighbor's creek is flooding their entire yard and horse pasture, and the road is blocked due to high water. This could be very ugly for people at risk for flooding unless this rain lets up. It is absolutely TORRENTIAL. I had to give my chickens food inside of their coop, b/c the external run is soaked/puddling. It's nasty out there. I don't know if this tropical warm front is going to head north or not. Probably not. A gradual melt-off is what you want. It's ugly down here. Went from snowing hard yesterday with 5 inches of snow to 52 degrees and heavy, heavy rain = perfect flood conditions. We had the exact same thing on January 16, 2011! when 3 cabins on the river where we have a mountain cabin, literally washed away down the river (zigzag river on Mt. Hood).

Lake Stevens, WA

Kosk,
Take Care. Sorry about your pop-up greenhouse. When things settle can you replant the Papaver? It's frezing here tonight with frozen rain. Then going to warm up! If you don't get your poppies I have a very pretty peachy ruffled one that needs dividing. There is a picture on one of these threads from last spring here on the PNW forum. Could sent your way in the spring. I would post the picture but my computer crashed in November, pictures gone. Anyway, least of your worries right now. Take care and keep those aborable kids of yours safe.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

It's nice to be inside, looking out.

Thumbnail by Pistil
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Nice snowy deck and view pic.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

We're still sitting on temps in the mid-20s and it snowed most of today, but lighter flakes so not as much accumulation. Kinda waiting for that warm blast to roll through, although I'm guessing that will be one sloppy mess.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

We had snow all day. It stopped at about 4:00. Total of about 6". I'm ready for the rain and warmer.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Rain break for us. A good thing. 2 more inches coming tomorrow.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Total mess out here on the coast! We've had a lot of snow, followed by a 3-day monsoon & then what felt like a hurricane. Aside from losing power frequently, I'm fine here in my mountain aerie. I no longer have an island, just a wide river, but the torrent is spectacular as long as it stays down the hill & across a meadow. Several big chunks of the bank are missing, though.

Haven't ventured past the little market at the foot of my hill all week. Roads so treacherous & trees down everywhere. The shopkeeper, who lives in Salem, has been holed up in the back apartment for 3 days because of highway closings!

So sorry about your flooding, kosk. Is it subsiding?

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Summer---yes I've heard things have been a mess on the coast and coast range. I think things will improve quite a bit here today. More rain today, but we had a big rain break overnight. So I expect when the sun comes out, I will see the neighbor's yard improved. No probs in my yard, just a big puddle by the front door. School was cancelled today, though. It's been interesting to see the power of water up close. I'm fascinated by natural underwater springs that must have filled, and then just pop up in our valley spouting water out of the ground like a fountain. None in my yard, but I've saw three of them in other pastures.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh wow, really? That sounds wonderful.

I see the power of water up close every day. If not here in my own back yard, then down on the beach whenever I make a grocery run. That's one of the reasons I'm so in thrall to the coast -- you see the awesome, inexorable force of nature all day, every day.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

I should say the springs are more like a water fountain like the Benson bubblers in Portland. Watched a dog drinking from one---he was perplexed and enjoying it at the same time. At least our well won't be going dry any time soon!

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

We have no power and a BIG clean-up project ahead. This is our driveway road.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.