Can anyone ID these Beans or direct me?

Mesilla Park, NM

They are from plants that I gathered seeds from which have flowers Identical to the regular blue snail vine phaseolus caracalla. The seedpods were also long and looked like the same seed pods for long bean type plants, but the beans are way larger than the regular P. caracalla. I originally thought they were the p caracalla when they were green pods, a few months later I went back to gather seeds and was surprised to get these beans out of the pods.

Maybe one of you may know of a site that Identifies beans, I am wondering if any of these could be beans they put in those bean mixes, they are tan in color by the way.

This photo is of the beans, the next will be of the beans next to some Clitoria ternata seeds for size comparison and a rechargeable digital camera battery.

Thanks for your help in advance.
A.

Thumbnail by Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

2nd photo of beans and clitoria ternata seeds for size comparison.

edited to add, that they could be pole beans of some type.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 3:41 PM

Thumbnail by Gourd
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

They do look like beans from the Vigna genus .. which species I don't know, possibly unguiculata.

This is what the unguiculata flower looks like.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mesilla Park, NM

Thanks X, for your help.

Please take a look at this one and let me know what you think. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/288922/

There isn't a photo of the flowers in the plantfiles here. Let me know if you want some seeds to try out, they do make a nice addition to any trellis. Thanks again for your help. And I found some beans in that 13 bean soup mix and will grow a few to see what they produce. I do love the flowers on them.
A.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Welcome .. I'd love some to try out. Vigna flowers are pretty. This is Vigna angularis. Pretty much every Vigna I've grown has prominent EFN's (extra floral nectaries).

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here's a picture of the EFN's

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mesilla Park, NM

Those are great shots of the EFNs, I can see how the ants love the nectar... I just got seeds for this yellow vigna to try this year.
Pls send me your address and I'll send them out Monday or Tuesday, I have a 10 cubic ft of Pecan mulch being delivered on Monday, so I may have to wait most of the day at home, they are supposed to deliver after 11:am, but you never know, so I'll probably get the seeds mailed out on my way to class Tuesday..

A.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I just wish the Corkscrew Vine pollinated as easily as other vignas .. I have to hand pollinate those and usually get 1 take out of ever 4 attempts!

Mulberry, FL

It looked like double blue pea vine seed I will have to pull mine out and look

Mesilla Park, NM

X., yes, you have to pull back the petal very slowly and the pollen anthers come out. They look very intimidating when you do that, but it works.. I've got the envelope ready to go tomorrow.

Talking about pea vines, I got some wild pea seeds about two years ago and have had them bloom and the plants have overwintered here, but, they don't produce seeds, I thought I saw a pod, but so far nothing. I think it is a perrennial pea. I'm hoping this year they bloom earlier so that I can get some seeds for this one.

Dana, this one does not have pea leaves, they have a bean type leaves like the vigna. By the way, I'm glad you had the corkscrew vine bloom for you, I've got a plant in my studio but it is more dormant than anything. I can hardly wait to take all the plants out of there. Do you have a photo by chance of the double blue pea that you have? Dana, let me know if you want seeds for this one, I won't be able to get the envelope ready for tomorrow but can send it off during the week. I think if it is a vigna and they way it produces pods, we will be very happy with all the flowers.

A.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Over the years I've developed a one handed technique for pollinating the Corkscrew and Snail flowers.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I dissected a Corkscrew flower just to see what was going on. - Complicated!

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mesilla Park, NM

Oh my goodness, it almost looks like an embryo of some sort.. very interesting. It looks like kokopeli relaxing (before you enlarge that second photo. You have a great camera. I like how you were able to hold the flower and take a photo of your hand at the same time.. cool.

The seeds are on their way...

I used both hands and it was a daunting task for sure. I did get one or two seed pods two years ago for the regular snail vine but now can't find my seeds.. Anyway, that was all I was able to get through hand pollinating. I'm getting excited waiting and thinking about Spring, so much that I filled 5 small containers and started some perennial type seeds yesterday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.