Wanted to share is all

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

This flower opened this morning on my varigated chalis vine and I was stoked (little dance) so I had to share.
I don't think people realize how big these flowers really are so I wanted to try and give a visual so anyone can really get a grasp of there size, I placed a AA battery in it and yes, the flower is holding up the battery believe it or not, I think the last flower pollinated, and who knows how long that giant thing will take to ripen or if the seed will come true varigated...but I am willing to wait it out...thanks for letting me boost

Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Very nice!

Blackshear, GA

Hi Florida.
I love it! I have one also that has been a little neglected. What do you do to yours to make it healthy and bloom?
I definatley need to repot mine and probably fertilize it.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Actually it seems to be quite happy root bound as long as it has something to climb on, I use 2 times a year a good hand full of rotten chicken poo and what ever slow release I have on hand once a year it's the 9 month stuff, and I make sure I (try) to keep it watered regular, that doesn't always happen, but last year I didn't have as many blooms as I did this year and I am thinking maybe it is because I trimmed it back bit, it was getting a little bigger than I wanted, this year it's busting at the seams with flowers, too bad they only last about 3 days.
I tried to catch a finch sitting in a flower the other day but missed him, that would have been quite a pic, have a great day :-)

Titus, what zone are you in?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Beautiful bloom!!!

I did a google search and Titus is in zone 9b.

Mulberry, FL

Yes very nice I have it too love the new shoots that purple really sticks out thanks for sharing...Dana

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 9a)

It's beautiful. Now if I plant a battery, will a battery vine grow? I really could use one.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Yep says 9B but I am thinking we are starting to get a bit colder than that as time goes on. It does have to be dragged inside to a protected area or it gets squishy it doesn't like sustained 30's or lower and last year we had 60+ days of 20's...yea...in FLA imagine that?

Mulberry, FL

Yup it happens this has been a mild winter so far Have to live in Miami if you want to let it stay out side year round I'll drag them back and forth lol

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Danaspalnts....about 9 years ago I moved away from the Miami area...I never looked back!
In Miami this thing would be soo happy right now, you all are a allot warmer than we are and more rain fall as well we are crispy dry right now, tired of dragging hoses all over...Uggg!!

Mulberry, FL

Trust me I know I lived in the Kendal area not for me I can walk the streets here at night If I want and when I go to a store everyone understands me :)

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

exactly the reason I moved...NORTH...LOL

Mulberry, FL

Yeah but they sure did have some cool plants there

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I agree :-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I love my Chalice Vine .. it's not the variegated but you are right .. the blooms are big!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Verrry Niiice Xeramtheum!!!
Your looks like it has a slightly different coloration to it than mine, your stripes look more purple and a very neat veining distribution of the color as well threw the flower.
My flower starts off this yellow in the photo and then turns a dark goldy color before it drops, but I find if we pick them up before they droop to the point of no return, cut the end off a bit the flower hangs around a long time in a bud vase...up to 10 days far longer than it stays on the vine only on the vine 3 days or so.
Do you green house yours for the winter?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Yes I keep mine in the greenhouse.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

X...how are those gingers doing for you?
The passions and others you sent me are going quite nicely!
My husband built me a bamboo trellis for the passions and they are busy covering it here in from of my picture window inside...can't wait for flowers :-)

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The gingers are doing great .. all in the greenhouse waiting for spring!

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Gorgeous! I had a plant a few years back but lost it when I was ill. I've bought some seeds, so I can't wait to start them.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I got another flower opening on a different plant, I'll post that when it opens.
Perennialgirl, where did you get seeds? Are they big? I've seen the seed pods in the nursery where I bought this and it was huge, like 7-8 pounds huge...it was still green and they had it straped up so it didn't break off...I was astounded!!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Yea, it's midnight and I am out taking pics of flowers, I saw it this afternoon working on opening, so I thought maybe it might be open.
So here it is, this one wasn't blooming when I bought it so it is the first flowers for me on this plant. Don't have an ID on it yet, that can be a tomorrow job.
Not near as big as the chalis vine but I like it and I don't notice an odor or fragrance...oh well!

Thumbnail by FlaFlower
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I'll have to check my list as to where I got the seeds. I think in Europe. The new flower you posted floridaheat is also very pretty. Could it be a Easter Lily vine?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

The Easter Lily Vine is Beaumontia grandiflora.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Very possible! Easter lily vine, it does have an elongated flower...boohoo not a hint of fragrance.
I still haven't looked it up...need to do that...soon
Bed time for me now!
PerennialGirl you didn't say how large the individual seeds were...so curious

Mulberry, FL

LOL and I thought I was the only one that runs out there to sneak a pic

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

What is it about brugs that look their best only after midnight?

Mulberry, FL

They look good 7 am too! and the scent hangs out till about 10 am

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

Enjoy these now cold's finally coming back after i uncover and put away everything

Thumbnail by Danasplants

Dana, those are gorgeous! Yep, I have to go back out and cover everything I JUST got uncovered. By Monday, we'll have to uncover everything again - WELCOME TO FLORIDA! LOL

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh My...those are fabby!!
Just traded for a few, these will be my first Brugs ever.
rain... we are getting rain, glorious rain, we haven't seen any in at least 45 days.
Thank goodness! Means no dragging of hose tomorrow. Also means the cold is coming again...I'm with ya Danasplants!!
I can't wait to try my own baby Brugs!! Woo hoo :-))

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Here's a pic of the seeds for Solandra Grandiflora. They are quite small.

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 8:43 PM

Thumbnail by PerennialGirl
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! Those are a bit small for what the plant is but I shouldn't be surprised, my black slippery elm puts out flat seed smaller than a hole punch by the billions and all year long I chase them till I have just about yank the last one up before winter comes again and it is snowing seed all over again...LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.