Livestock Runoff in Pond?

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm thinking there's got to be a way to test my pond water for fecal contaminants. My pond is directly downstream from a pond that serves both cows (on one side) and horses (on the other). They have direct access, so there is every likelihood that the water is getting manure in it. Since I lost 95% of my garden last year to drought, I'm thinking that since that water is there and is free, if I could use it for irrigation, all might be right in the world. However, I sell my produce and obviously consume it as well, and safety is my first priority. Other farmers have told me they use pond water for irrigation, but between the livestock (e. coli) and the turtles (salmonella), I'm afraid I might poison anyone who eats my food! So does the extension office test water, or is there a home test I could do? Does anyone have experience with pond irrigation? Thanks!

This thread has 5 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!