quick lamb's ear question pls

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

I'm cutting back plants right now for winter. Do I cut back my lamb's ear?

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

If it still looks good I would leave it.
Some plants add intrest to your garden during winter.
If it freezes you can cut it back then.

Paul

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

pull out the old brown leaves at the bottom. I never do anything except that to mine.

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Okie Dokie...thank you bunches. I had to trim some back because it grew so good. First year for it and it looks like it's been there for years. I have a feeling I may have some in the spring to trade. The neighborhood kids like it because it's so soft. Thanks for the help. "T" :)

Sledder

Did you know .... and here a bit of completely useless information for you all, you can use clean leaves as a sticking plaster for cuts, they feel like a luxury band aid! This is what the plant is traditionally used for but of course in the interests of hygiene they must be clean.

Stachys, I understand, means staunch as in staunch blood and the common name for Stachys in England is Woundwort.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Baa, that's something really cool to know, thanks!!!!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I didn't know that. Next time I cut myself in the garden (which happens more than it should), I'll grab a lamby ear and put it on the cut.

I planted my lambs ear this spring and it was a .99 tiny pot from walmart. Now it's a huge plant. I can't believe how fast that thing has grown. And it's still green and hanging in there when almost everything else succumbed to frost long ago. Great plant.

Joan

Pittsburgh, PA(Zone 6a)

Baa, Yep I knew that but I've never tried it. Kinda like that aloe thing for burns. I also didn't think they sent off blossoms but mine sure did. When I was working in my gardens getting them cleared for winter I wasn't sure if to cut them back or not. Mostly because they are beside my pond. It's definitely one of my favorite plants.

Scotia, CA(Zone 9b)

The flower stalks are great in dried arangements. I like the look of the plant without them though.

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Nov 28, 2001, mine is STILL fresh and lovely; how I enjoy the feel of those leaves!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.