Has anyone tried the new seedless tomato from Burpees?

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I am tempted to order seeds, this seems to be the second year that these are avaiable from burpees. I am wondering if anyone has tried them.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I know several who have and then showd pictures with the fruits cut showing seeds. I also have been following threads at two different message sites enumerating the problems with Burpee,which used to be a wonderful company.

If you really need/want tomato fruits with few seeds there are some alternatives.

Carolyn

Tonto Basin, AZ

hmmmm , , , ,

An heirloom variety? LOL!!!

Canterbury, CT

I grew them during the 2011 season. I didn't find the germination as poor as some people said but I would say it was around 75%. Plants grew much slower than any of my others but picked up speed once transplanted outside. They produced later in the season than all of my others (Goliath, Brandy Boy, Better Boy) but produced well once they got going. I don't eat tomatoes, I'm the grower, but my husband thought they tasted pretty good. I don't plan on growing them again though. We did not find seeds in any of ours.

Alexander City, AL

I tried Burpee's Sweet Seedless last summer (2011) and I think they're good. I ordered tomato plants instead of seeds. They did well, but I had early blight that eventually ruined all my tomatoes. I'll try them again this summer.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Did you order from Burpee's and if so, how well packed were they?

Alexander City, AL

I ordered the Sweet Seedless plants from Cook's last year. They were fine. However, this year I've ordered them from Burpee. So you've had a bad experience with Burpee?

Quote from Carolyn :
I know several who have and then showd pictures with the fruits cut showing seeds. I also have been following threads at two different message sites enumerating the problems with Burpee,which used to be a wonderful company.

If you really need/want tomato fruits with few seeds there are some alternatives.

Carolyn

Yes, so many companies have been purchased by large corporations and then they concentrate on their latest "new hybrid wonder"...

Well, at least there are some good companies left so it is up to us to give them as much support as possible, even if their seeds might be a little more money. They cannot compete with the larger corporations.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I buy seeds from Tomato Growers Supply and have never been disappointed and find no need to go anywhere else.

Alexander City, AL

Based on Carolyn's remarks about Burpee, I have also ordered Sweet Seedless tomato plants from Cook's. I'll let you know how they compare when I get them.

Carolyn, I am interested in seedless or almost-seedless tomatoes, which is why I want the Sweet Seedless. Your suggestions would be welcome. I have read that Mortgage Lifter has very few seeds and might try it too.

I read a blurb in either Cook's or Burpee's information (I think) recently that claims what people think are seeds in the Sweet Seedless are not exactly seeds, but can't remember how they described it. That's not much help I know. But for those of us who need to avoid seeds, this tomato is a great thing.

thanks for all your input.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Same company. Cook's Garden is owned by Burpee.

Alexander City, AL

really? Well, my plants - Sweet seedless tomatoes - from Cook's, arrived in good shape and did well until the early blight got them, as it did every tomato I grew. The Sweet Seedless actually held up longer than the others, but that may have been because the early blight started at the other end of my 4' x 8' raised planter.

I've been happy with Cook's plants.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Plum, if i still have tomatoes in Nov i will try to remember to save a few mortgage lifters and bring them when i come home. They taste alright but not my fav and i will only grow them to put up and give yo the neighbors.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

PLum, first, for those who have been told they have to avoid small seeds b'c of Diverticulitis, etc., I highly suggest asking the opinion of another gastroenterologist b'c studies have shown that while it was thought that the seeds got caught in pouches of the GI tract, that that isn't the case.

But to answer your question directly, almost all true heart varieties that I know have desnse flesh and very few seeds. The same is true for many varieties with beefsteak shape, and as a matter of fact the original definition from the 1939 Michigan State Bulletin defined them as having fruits that are longer than their height and having few seeds.

If you want me to list some hearts and some beefsteak varieties I can do that as well, but I do encourage you to seek another opinion, or just go online via Google and enter diverticulitis about small seeds.

Hope that helps.

And yes, Burpee bought Ellen and Shep Ogden's Cooks Garden several years ago, and the interesting thing to me is that for 2012 they offer, what they think are different varieties, but aren't, in both catalogs, and have changed the names of others.

Not good at all, but then I'm one of many who gave up on Burpee many years ago.

Carolyn

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I love Motgage Lifter, its one of my favorites. I have the Radiator Charlie strain, but as this is the last of the seeds I may have to save some. OH..NO... PICTURE ATTACHED

My youngest son told me that was the only tomato he cared if we got. Now if they dont blow away Ill be good!

"And yes, Burpee bought Ellen and Shep Ogden's Cooks Garden several years ago, and the interesting thing to me is that for 2012 they offer, what they think are different varieties, but aren't, in both catalogs, and have changed the names of others." THAT bothers me. Talk about confusing. I get the science but I dont get the advertising..it just seems....WRONG!

Thumbnail by 1lisac
Alexander City, AL

I did not realize Burpee's owns Cook's. Do you think this has affected Cook's quality?

I know the diverticulitis issue is controversial and a big question mark. Medical community seems unsure what is going on.

thanks for your help.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ellen and Shep Ogden who started the Cooks Garden lived quite near me, just over the border in VT.

I met Shep when I was in IA at SSE a few years back doing an heirloom presentation and book signing b'c they asked me to.

Without going into detail, problems arose between Shep and his wife, they divorced. I don't know if Shep approached Burpee or it was the other way around.

But if you knew the Cooks Garden catalog, as I did, I'm sure you'd know that there is absolutely no relationship between what they offered and what Burpee did to their offerings.

Carolyn

That is very sad. More "corporate take over" of our seeds. I read about what has been happening to SSE as well. Not a pretty picture!

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

My Dr. told me I have Diverticulitis and would have to give up tomatoes.
I told him that wasn't going to happen, haven't had a problem since.

Carolyn is right again :)

Paul

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.