Vegetable growing

Tacoma, WA

I know urban gardening is popular now, but I have limited space and I like my "forest-y" look, which is not conducive to sun loving vegetables. I know there are neighborhood plots available, which I'll look into. Any one else into growing vegetables in containers, on patios, etc. ? What do you grow? I love herbs, which are easy, but fresh beans, rhubarb, and raspberries sound even better.

Lake Stevens, WA

The only food I have grown in pots is tomatoes, potatoes, walla walla onions. They were fine. Was great with the potates all you had to do is push over the pot on a tarp. Could just pick the potatoes out with out digging.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm thinking of doing a salad garden this year. I don't have deer here and I have lots of sunshine all day long. I also have very good soil. Haven't raised veggies since the 70's. I do have two big gray squirrels which I haven't had. They will probably appreciate a salad or two.

Tacoma, WA

Thanks for your replies. I scoffed at the whole organic food movement, until I actually tasted the difference. I am a convert. I like the potato idea, Springcolor. I'm going to have to try that. I saw a show where Ciscoe Morris harvested his potatoes in a container that way. I really like him.

Willow, the squirrels remind me of an article in the Seattle Times recently - this lady (lives by Green Lake, middle upper class) actually traps and EATS the gray squirrels on her property. Very weird.

Lake Stevens, WA

It's seen a few years. If I remember right your add soil as the potato grows. Just google growing potato in a container, I'll bet it comes up.
I really like Ciscoe too. Have been to several of his talks.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

My sister told me about that lady that eats squirrel. Course I'm from Indiana so I've been aware that they are eaten, but yeck.

Lake Stevens, WA

Tastes like chicken? I went to see my cousin in Phoenix and we went to a place that served Rattlesnake! I had one piece. Was good!! Just like years ago I had one escargot!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm very slowly adding veggies back into my yard as companions to my perennials. Last year I planted a small raised bed with pole beans, carrots, scallions, lettuce, and snapdragons. Still digging up sweet carrots. Tucked a single zucchini plant and patty pan in a couple corners. I like the spud in a pot idea, may give that a whirl. A few years ago, I transformed my prior veggie plot into an herb garden, but did leave the berries and rhubarb along the perimeter. I'm also thinking of adding fruit trees, even though I know I will have to wait a couple years for any significant produce. My loose plan is to use dwarfs and to plant in an irregular fashion.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

You might be surprised at how quickly trees begin to produce. I've had small harvests in their 2nd year after planting 4-5' pears & peaches.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 8b)

Once I grew my own broccoli, I couldn't enjoy the stuff from the grocery store. Be careful! You might get used to a champagne diet on a beer budget. I did, then realized that I liked the work more than paying for inferior food. Square foot gardening made me a convert to home grown veggies. Yummmmmm!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.