My Christmas Tomatos

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

It was great to have fresh tomatos for Christmas! I had two tomatos Christmas eve but never took pictures.but I picked these today and there are a lot of huge Big Beef on my five remaining plants. I lost one but the rest are doing great.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

What a great Christmas "gift"! Glad you could enjoy them! I'm envious, especially as it is finally getting much colder here! LOL

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Nice!!!! I have lots of hard green fruit, some seem like they are trying to ripen. Are those pretty tasty tplant?

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Wow!!! What a nice Christmas treat, TPlant. Hope you enjoyejust d them with your Christmas dinner.

We're still just planning our next growing season here. So nice to see your photos.

Ramona, CA(Zone 9b)

Yummy. Lucky you!! Do they taste as good as during the summer?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

What variety is it? Just curious as I remember the store bought Canadian hydroponic grown on the vine ones out in the fridge, which actually aren't that bad for a store bought.

Carolyn

They are Big Beef and have a deep red interior when fully ripened and are very juicy with a delicate pulp. I have so many, many more giants waiting to ripen. It is truly my special Christmas present.

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP - good job! YOu're ahead of me. I only have ripe cherry types. Looks like you started a few weeks ahead of me. What else are you growing?

Your old eb's saved me a lot of digging this year and are performing really well. I have fruit everywhere. Only 23 plants here this year plus veggies. Good to see you're still doin it right. You S Fla buddy,

Flip

Sorry for not returning your call! I was distracted by circumstances pertaining to Christmas presents. I'm not growing anything else for now but come February I'll plant my watermelon. Have to take it slow. There would be no way I could work 19 EBs at this time. Three is just enough. Big Beef takes 84 days so I'm not really ahead of you.

Here is the guy that deserves all the credit.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Another picture without him clowning although he makes me laugh. They sure grow quickly. It seems like he was just in pre-school and now he is in third grade .It hurts that I, as his grandfather, can not do things that a grandfather does with his grandson but just haveing him is my joy. Oh! Another tomato he picked yesterday with many more to follow. I'm not to proud of him am I? LOL

Thumbnail by Tplant
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Ahhhh! Nice pictures Tplant.....regret not what you cannot do, take joy in what you *can* do.

You are giving him the gift of your love and teaching him the value of the earth he walks on. Those two are plenty.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Tplant you are the only one with regrets, I KNOW your grandson is loving every minute of his time with you and he is proud of himself, as he should be. You are foraging a bond that will never be broken, and he's learning things that most kids never get a chance to. I hope you will be able to rejoice instead of regret. I think you are underestimating your own importance,

The only thing I regret is my poor health! I am learning to adjust because I don't have a choice but I do have a helper....

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

TP - I remember your grandson when he was crawling among your ebox farm and he loves you more now than he did then. Just keep doin what you're doin!
Flip

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

I'm a Big Beef fan. Yummy for you Tplant. Wonderful Christmas harvest. I did not grow any late toms this year. Still busy building the house ======sure miss my winter toms!

I'm starting to give them away as they are ripening very quickly.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Very, very nice!!!

Gosh, they are delicious but do have a thick skin so I slice them thin. "Big Beef"

Nauvoo, AL(Zone 7a)

That is one of the reasons why I like Big Beef. Thick skin and they resist cracking when it rains or over watered. But personally I do not like the skin on any tomato so I do peel my tomatoes and Big Beef is easy to peel cause they have a thick outter wall too.

That is why I have become to enjoy them . No cracking and good eating...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.