Japanese Water Iris, Japanese Flag, Russian Iris 'Sing The Blues' (Iris ensata)

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Boy Pirl, you really have added ton of great shots! Are you joining us hobby PlantFilers?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

No, I'm actually just reviewing all photos in my Picasa program and eliminating folders (870 since early December) so when I come across photos I think are worthy I post them to PF.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

All your iris are just so beautiful. My favorite kind!

Thanks, Kell. I have several more but there are no entries for them even though they have been on the market for a few years. I am a total failure at adding plants!

I am not a failure at devouring lobster rolls!

Thumbnail by pirl
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I haven't had one in ages. Those look so good! Esp the lower middle one. I want it!

Lobster rolls are much more fun than adding new plants.

Arnold's, Route 6A, Eastham, Cape Cod - 2011. Their lobster bisque is perfect and better than I've had in any NYC restaurant.

Yes!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

My besf friend from college lives in East Falmouth. I will have to tell her so the next time she is over that way, she can have 1 of each for me!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

I remember seeing this iris shot before in a thread, it's center perfectly picks up the lilies behind it, great shot pirl.

Now, that lobster shot is a new one, yummmmm!

Kell - Arnold's offers a double sized lobster roll for less than double the price of a single roll. They also offer it hot or cold. Such hard decisions for vacation food fun.

Thanks, Sue. I also loved that shot.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I still dream of the lobster rolls I had in Maine in 1995!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

There is a place in Maine I saw on one of the cooking on the road shows that had the biggest and best lobster rolls. I need to come East! We could all meet and do a lobster roll tour.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, boy. Did someone say crab? I dream of deviled crab the way they used to prepare it at Fisherman's Wharf. It's impossible to find these days. Must have gone out of style, I guess.

Kell - that could easily be Red's Eats in Wiscasset. The line there stretches over the bridge.
http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=2959

Zuzu - so glad to see you again. I've missed you so much! I am still killing whatever roses the deer don't devour, sadly. I don't actually kill them but they don't thrive for me.

It took a few minutes to find it but I succeeded, Kell.

Thumbnail by pirl

Ohhh, looks like a popular joint, look at the line!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

That is it, Pirl! YUM! Really special rolls on their site. Donna, is that where you had lobster rolls?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Unbelievable! Yes it is!

That is funny, that you had been there and pirl has a photo of it! Zuzu, Kell, we west coast gals need to make a major road trip!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And I had seen it on TV! Amazing what a small world it is and how we are all connected in many ways we may not even know about.

Tom tells me he grew up on lobster rolls sold at Mcdonalds in Portsmouth, New Hampshire.

Now I am thinking of fried clams ......... WITH THEIR BELLIES! I could eat a whole plate of them just about now.

Tonight we are going out to a raw bar, not sushi but they have lots of raw fish in non Japanese traditional ways in SF. I wonder if they will have lobster.

Red's is on the way to a Japanese iris nursery so we pass it, and get snarled in traffic, both ways every time we visit Eartheart Gardens.

McDonald's is supposed to have very good lobster rolls but I've never tried them.

Kell, you "wonder if they'll have lobster"? Well, they won't have lobster for long! Enjoy and take photos.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

OHHHH, fried clams! Drool!

I've got tell you, I envy those of you on both coasts. That's where I go to vacation, and the seafood, especially shellfish, is one of the many charms of both.

No traditional Koo's tonight Kell?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I love all your Japanese iris photos, Pirl! My favorite iris! If I ever get to Maine for the lobster rolI, I will so stop at that nursery too! I always take food photos! I am so bad. LOL I drive my husband nuts.

Ayumi and Kiyoshi are in Japan, Sue. So our sushi friends picked this raw bar to go to instead that they love.
Anyone eat sushi? Here are some of my sushi photos. http://www.flickr.com/photos/33909421@N03/sets/72157623115948623/

How about uni? I have a thing for uni! http://www.flickr.com/photos/33909421@N03/sets/72157623503481545/

Shoot, I was looking for a fried clam photo for you, Donna. I know I have some. I grew up on the East coast eating lobster, fried clams and fried soft shell crab. Oh I make myself so hungry! I had no clue McDonalds still sold lobster rolls! In California, Dungeness crab is the biggie. No clams or lobster! If you ever get here Donna, we all will take you out for crab. You will love it!

I will look more for that photo later.

I LOVE this shot, Chef Kiyoshi is an artist! http://www.flickr.com/photos/33909421@N03/5479472503/in/set-72157623503481545

This looks yummy http://www.flickr.com/photos/33909421@N03/6044126799/in/set-72157623115948623

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Kiyoshi is a master, no doubt. I have had so many not on the menu specials from him. We are so lucky! He just knows what flavors go together. Did you see our not on the menu anniversary dinner he made for us last month? I am so bad, I did post more than 1 pic per course if I had good photos. LOL http://www.flickr.com/photos/33909421@N03/sets/72157628384408359/

Well......................... I enjoyed dinner. We went at 5 for happy hour specials. I should say, I made the reservations early when I read about happy hour, my idea. Tom does not do all you can eat buffets or happy hours so he had a mean face on. LOL. Then we had the best fish chowder but Tom got a shrimp first spoonful so that was the end of that. He is allergic to shrimp. I had to eat it all. Poor me, NOT!

We had a ton of $1 oysters that went to $2.50 after happy hour. I will say you do get what you pay for. The $2.50 ones were so good, the $1 ones not so good.

I did get a new photo or 3 for my uni page of photos on Flickr, Uni toast. SO GOOD!

Oh there was lobster on the menu Pirl, but I did not see any in person.

I am off to bed early. Did I mention the happy hour glasses of wine for $5? The waitress liked me for some reason and every last sip I had of wine, she had a new glass ready for me. She extended Happy Hour wine for me till we left. I was not even asking. Tom was glaring. LOL I will never learn.

PS The place was so loud and so full at 5! People standing all over waiting for a seat. I had fun, though I always have fun no matter where we go! But Tom will never go back. Mary and Paul love the place. Bar Crudo. http://www.barcrudo.com/

Tomorrow night we are doing Southern cooking.

Uni toast! YUM

Thumbnail by Kell

Fabulous photos, Kell, and sounds like you had a great time!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Pirl that iris is gorgeous!!

You talking about lobster rolls again?? Humph! You guys ain't seen nuttin till you come to Maine! ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That's where my addiction began.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL!

Thanks, Celeste.

You know Jack and I love Maine! That photo has me itching to make reservations right now but it's always the weather that determines our visit in winter.

On Picasa I see I have 1,765 photos in 33 albums of Maine, so maybe I should be the official DG travel agent! That's just digital photos, too. There are hundreds more from Ogunquit to Houlton & Caribou and the New Friendly Restaurant (for lobster rolls) in Eastport...hardly a mile from Canada!

Too funny! We went out of our way coming from New Brunswick (and meeting DG's agedgardener in Fredericton) to go to the New Friendly Restaurant "open 7 days a week" but they were closed! We had been there before and loved it. Yes, I do have photos of their lobster rolls. People from St. Andrews, Canada, do drive across for them - that's how we heard about it.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's 'Maine Elegance', a JI from Eartheart Gardens.

Thumbnail by pirl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

Thank you, Celeste.

Let's see, we've talked about JI's, Maine, lobster rolls and Maine travel so I guess we're missing an entry on pets. Harry loved the soft serve ice cream in South Portland!

Thumbnail by pirl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

LOL! I bet he did!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, Pirl, have you been to the Ogunquit Museum of American Art? It's on the water. Such a lovely museum, and best of all, not far from lobster rolls!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WOW, that is a lobster bake, Celeste. I have never been to one. Amazing. Are those steamers on top? And eggs? Do they cook like that? Hard boiled eggs?

'Maine Elegance' is just beautiful!

Donna - We may have missed that one, Donna, but we've been to several museums in Maine and Canada. The Cryptozoology Museum in Portland (three minutes from our favorite Portland lobster rolls at Becky's) is next on our list.

Thanks, Kell.

Love the anniversary dinner shots Kell, a true master in presentation too!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes Kell, thats a traditional Maine Lobstah Bake. You lay seaweed, a layer of lobsters, layer of potatoes and onions, then the clams and then the eggs on top, cover completely with seaweed and cook . When the eggs are done on top, everything below it will be done also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.