some what new to tomato growing need advice

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, so here it is...I have grown tomatoes for 2 years but both years they have become kinda straggly, got some good fruit both years, but I had some issues.
so this year I am starting from seed again, my girl friend tells me I need to start them in seed trays, when they get 2-3 inches tall I need to transplant them to the bottom of 4-6 inch pots burying them deep covering up the stems to the top of the bottom true leaves, then after they get 4-6 inches tall again I need to transplant them to 1 gallon pots again burying them deeply to the lower set of leaves. I am to wait till they get to 6-8 inch and plant the in the garden...again deeply, as deep as possible. She tells me I won't have any issues with thin scraggly plants if I do it this way...does anyone else do this? Thanks for your help :-))

Tonto Basin, AZ

Sound like your friend has it about right, IMHO. Check out this thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/490323/

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I think that explains everything...THANKS!!!!

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Dr. Carolyn Male's method is by far the accepted way for this forum, it really makes a lot of sense.

If you're only starting a few, perhaps six, you could use a cool-whip container and Jiffy pellets. Add two seeds to each pellet. Once they have germinated thin the seedlings to one per pellet. Let them grow on at cooler temps 50-60 degrees with lots sunlight. When the plants get tall enough, simply put the pellet and plant in an 8 or 9 ounce beverage cup (hole punched in bottom) and fill with a good quality potting soil. They should harden off nicely if kept cool outside. Another 2 or 3 weeks and they'll be ready to plant in your garden.

Al

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Starting indoors, they might need a lot of light to prevent becoming leggy.

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

A sunny window or simple shop lights will provide plenty of light if they get leggy pot them up deeper. If they are leggy when it's time to plant out they can be planted horizontally.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.