What do you combine with Alliums, Phlox?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am considering phlox.They arent fully up and out when alliums are blooming.
I guess the real question should have been"Can you,would you combine Phlox with Alliums"
Not necessarily for the bloom combos,thats not possible.
I am trying to squeeze phlox into my gardens. The allium spots look tempting.

Thumbnail by ge1836
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That's a gorgeous phlox, Jo Ann. What is the name of it?

Our white David phlox are in several areas and, being so tall, they go well in the back of the borders.

My phlox bloom the same time as lilies in one area - Natasche and Bonbini here:

Thumbnail by pirl

In answer to your question as to can they be combined - I've never tried it.

Allium and columbine go very well together.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Georgeous lilies. I just finished a painting of orientals.
I cant remember who is offering the phlox.Its Mystic or Mystique Green

Thumbnail by ge1836

Beautiful painting, as always, Jo Ann.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont necessarily want a combo from the standpoint of color. I just wondered if they made good friends in the garden aka.spreading and flopping too much shadeing etc.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

thanks

Found this on Google: http://www.botanikfoto.com/en/details/allium-allium-sage-salvia-phlox-phlox-462122.php

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks so mooooocho. Thats the combo there only my sage is Eveline. They look happy. I also will plant Allium Schuberti with short lilies Its a late summer bloomer

Thumbnail by ge1836

It would be nice if others with Allium Schuberti would give you the actual date when it blooms for them so it could guide you. Often when it is stated that they bloom "late summer" it's not as late as we think.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Ohh yes I have been disapointed many times.
I have been lucky with crossover blooming.I get a good combo as the iris fade and the lilies start.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pirl ..pretty, pretty. Which allium is that with the columbine. I haven't planted any in this garden yet. Had the steel blue variety in a previous garden
ge..wow beautiful painting, is that watercolor or acrilic, looks like wc?.Was it painted from a garden scene? Just amazing. Want to learn to paint more flowers in wc., plen aire. Very pretty.
Kathy (here's my wc, santas comming, hehe.)

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

t si wc. Yours is very nice.
I did it from photo. I dont like painting outside of my studio. Everything is where I want it to be there.

Thanks, Kathy. You do lovely work. I'm amazed by the talented people here!

No idea of the name of the allium. It's on my original garden plan but that's lost in this room!

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Pirl...LOL. Ya, I familiar with loosing things. God I hope one day to have a place for everything. So many things packed in boxes yet, lol. Hoping after my kitchen remodel this winter I can finally unpack and have a real kitchen to play in. Pix; There do you see them, grrrrrrrrrrrrr. Taken a couple of weeks ago, next to the garage.. It's the male herd of 9. The females show up also, their herd is 10-12. Anyone I can ship deer to? They're free with my blessings.
Ge..I'm still amazed by your painting, atleast I had a pattern, photo and instructions (cheating I know but gosh I'm still learning,lol.)
Later all, Kathy.

Our herd numbers 17 but, thankfully, they don't all arrive at once. The most I've seen is 5 at a time. That's five too many, of course! Why can't they be content eating grass?

Sorry this isn't clear but the deer has made a hole in the mesh here and is eating the caladium through the mesh. I put a pot of ripe hot peppers there but the deer left it alone.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

makes me cry

Me, too!

Here are some allium, irises and lupines.

Thumbnail by pirl

One more...

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

great pix Pirl.

Athens, PA

I was thinking iris as well, given the time of year that Alluim flower.

I have coneflowers as well as Roguuchi clematis that flower with some of my phlox. I did plant some alliums in with the phlox coneflower mix. The heads of the alliums stay long after the alliums are finished flowering and should give a nice textural effect.

Andover, MN(Zone 3b)

The phlox is the most beautiful I've ever seen and it's "only" a photo, I've got to have one like it. Ge, as the flower head matures does it stay varigated? Also both water colors are amazing, what a great asset it must be to capsure art in that form.

It's funny, I woke this morning thinking about the phlox pic I'd seen on this forum and following up on it for next year's planting. I didn't know the phlox/allium answer but am glad I opened the question and found more great information. Pirl, your photos are always beautiful. At home we don't have many deer but at our lake place we have tons. The first winter I planted a huge frazer fir was an awful winter for the deer herd-huge snowdrifts and sub-zero temps. The next spring there wasn't one branch left on the tree except about 12" at the top. I've left the tree hoping it would sprout, but no luck. The birds sometimes nest in it but it's become an 'object de art' now and part of the scenery. I'm benevolent because they leave my plants at home alone.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I think its Sherbert Cocktail It will be new in my garden so I have no experience with how it behaves.
Thanks for the clem roguuchi hint.
I think I will check it out.
I am inclined to put pale lavander phlox such as Kathleen with the alliums they will be dead and the silvery sparklie clouds will look good with phlox.
Sherbert Cocktail will go somewhere else.Most likely with cone flowers.

Athens, PA

JoAnn

I have to think - I put in Sherbet Cocktail this past summer. I kind of tucked it in - I received it in a trade. I am at work, but need to go back into my garden to figure out what is growing with it. I believe it is with Stachys Hummelo. Not sure what else. I also put in the new Mystique phlox this past fall. I'll look to see what I put that with too and let you know.

The Rogucchi flowers forever and I love it with the coneflowers and the phlox. I have Starfire and Franz Schubert with that clump....

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am looking at a lot of phlox for my gardens.
The Mystiques are among the ones I will heavily order. Black is just scrumpteous and Green resembles Sherbert Coctail.These are all under 24 inches. The tall ones I have my eye on are Nikki,Prime Minister,Blue,Davids Lavander and some sort of orange and reds to go in that part of the garden.
will need to wedge them in as the space here is getting full.
I never thought of the Staceys Hummelo I do have it so there might be room between Hummelos and lilies . Its all an adventure.
Appreciate anything you can give as far as advise goes.

Thanks!

Sounds like you ended up with a Snoopy Christmas tree, mai.

Athens, PA

JoAnn

I am pretty sure I tucked Phlox Sherbet Cocktail in this area with the Stachys Hummelo and the Astrantia Major. It is hard for me to tell this time of year. I tried to put colors together that would go well together.

I was able to find a tag on my Mystique, but that was planted this past fall and Mystique was planted with Coneflower Hot Papaya. I like the shapes of the phlox with the coneflowers and the deep purple should look good with the hot orange.

The picture is the area where I am pretty sure where I tucked in the Sherbet. I am hoping to see some flowers this coming season.

Carolyn

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Carolyn I have Mistique Green and Mystique Black ordered. either would go with my Hummelos. The Mystiques I have on order are 20 inches high. I believe they might be too short for echies. I cant wait to see how this pans out

Athens, PA

JoAnn

My Mystique is supposed to be the black one - I planted it in front of the HP echie. We will see - you may be quite right about the heights being an issue - I will have to look at it a the time and move Mystique if I have to.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have Mistique Black as 20 inches. Good luck to both of us.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Here the Stachys Hummelo blooms much earlier than the phlox. Boy, I bet the Astrantia would be gorgeous with the phlox. Is your Astrantia a named variety, Carolyn?

Athens, PA

Polly

I do get a much smaller second flush on the hummelo when I deadhead. It tends to make the bees happy. I should also get a continuation of color - I put the Sherbet in late last summer, so time will tell.

The Astrantia was marked as 'Astrantia Major' when I bought it a couple of years ago. It is really coming into it's own and I am quite happy with it.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Lovely, Carolyn! I remember seeing a pink Astratia that would be nice too. I'll have to be better about deadheading my Stachys, then.

Athens, PA

Polly

It's a very small flush, but as I mentioned, the bees love it and anything to bring back the bees....

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'm with you. I love those bees. When my hydrangea paniculatas are blooming they are so covered with lots of different kinds, all getting along well together. Such fun to watch.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I see that several are talking about stachys humello, I have stachy macrantha very similar. LOL, and I thought the plant was rare, I grew it from seed gotten out of England. So how did others get theirs? Is it available locally?
Pirl...just love the pix, will have to think about adding iris with my lupines. which allium is that ( very tall I like that). Pix is caliroe and creeping babysbreath. Kathy.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a 4 year old stacys macrantha. It has been moved a couple of times so its just gettig a leg up.
I bought it from an online nursery that is unfortunatly out of business.
Have you tried Plant Scout?
Now that I see that pix I will try for another one,this one isnt much to shout about.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

better look

Thumbnail by ge1836
Lake Stevens, WA

I have been reading this thread and all your pictures are gorgeous! Now Jo Ann where are you ordering those mistique and sherbert plox.
I did a little look but could not find a source. These chat rooms are so bad for my budget!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Check Plant Scout. I cant remember .Sometimes Googling a plant will find the website.
I looked on PF but its listing plants from nurseries that no longer carry it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.