Is this blossom end rot?

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm hoping it is, because that's simple - add some calcium to the soil or spray a foliar calcium treatment.

but I thought the blossom was at the other end - this was actually where the tomato was coming out the stem.

Unless I'm missing something.

thanks.

SFC (Dawn)

Thumbnail by SoFlaCommercial
SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I've always known BER to be on the OTHER end of the tomato. Not sure what your picture shows. Go find Dr. Carolyn and send her a dmail. She'll know what it is...

k, thanks.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

No no, don't ever send Carolyn DG mail b/c she doesn't go there and only knows if something is there about three days later when she gets a notice.

I'm here every day, but as most folks know I use AOL whose browser is a Microsoft one and so can't post at the site and Dg has long had problems with AOL users, that I know. I have to go to IE, whose browser is also MS, but slightly different and that means closing out my faves list and so much more to get to IE.

No, that's not BER on that small fruit so I don't think I'll even go into the comments about adding Ca++, etc, but the article I wrote about BERt is in the Members Fave Sticky at the top of this Forum.

it looks fungal to me, but how about some more information?

How many plants do you have out there and of those how many have fruits with symptoms like the one you showed?

And what other symtoms do the plant(s) with those affected fruits show and I ask b'c most of the time there are leaf lesions that can give a clue as to what the disease is that's causing that problem.

Did you raise all your plants from seed or did you buy some plants and is the affected plant, fruits one that you raised yourself or purchased?

Hope that helps, so far.

Carolyn

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Dr. C!

Linda, who apologizes profusely for suggesting the dmail....

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Linda, I've sighned off on every post I've done at many message sites since about 1983 as Carolyn and I really do prefer to be called Carolyn by everyone.

There's a professional life and a private life and I've always tried to keep the two separate. And my professional life wasn't about tomatoes. LOL

Carolyn

Linda:

Attached is the bed that it came from. This is my 'tomato' bed.

Measures 4' x 9', non pressurized wood.

Three Roma Tomato plants
Two Parsley Plants (placed at alternating corners)
Two Greek Oregano Plants (placed at the opposite corners)
Two Basil Plants in front

Five Marigold Plants: One between each tomato, and on opposite sides, between tomatoes and outside edge of bed. One Marigold between the basil.

Until everything got established, had it bare dirt for a few weeks. Noticed (what I then thought was) blight, then mulched everything with cypress mulch, per someone's suggestion here on DG.

Would water periodically, but (so far) mother nature taking care of irrigation.

Have scratched in coffee grounds and crushed egg shells about a month ago. periodically fertilize with liquid seaweed/water sol'n.

Tomatoes had what the 'vegetable doctor' at the county extension office said was bacterial spot, but he diagnosed my basil as possibly having 'wet feet' or fungus since it wasn't black spot on the basil.

Yesterday, I hacked my roma plants and took off anything that looked like it had or was getting black spot. The above tomato deformity was the only one I found, but admittedly, I didn't get back underneath the tomato plants to look more closely.

thanks, Carolyn!

Thumbnail by SoFlaCommercial
Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

SFC - I noticed you have Marigolds growing between your tomatoes and thought you might like to read this article about them from the University of Florida.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ng045

HoneybeeNC: Don't take this the wrong way, but...

I LUB YOU! LOL!

awesome article; thanks.

❤☆҉‿↗⁀☆҉❤☆҉‿↗⁀☆҉❤❤☆҉‿↗⁀☆҉❤☆҉‿↗
╠╗╔╗═╗║║╠║╔║║║
╚╝╚═╚╝╚╝╚║╠╚╝╚♥
★ ═══๑۩๑๑۩๑ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿(◡‿◡)♥☸ڿڰۣ ๑۩๑๑۩๑═══ ★

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I may be way off here but I think Marigolds are a magnet for Spider Mites so if Spider Mites are a problem in your area they will be more then happy to jump from one plant to the next.

Im really wondering what that is exactly on the fruits?

dunno - it litterally looked like where the stem had come out and curled out off the tomato.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

SFC - you're welcome!

What font did you use?

❤☆҉‿↗⁀☆҉❤☆҉‿↗⁀☆҉❤❤☆҉‿↗⁀☆҉❤☆҉‿↗
╠╗╔╗═╗║║╠║╔║║║
╚╝╚═╚╝╚╝╚║╠╚╝╚♥
★ ═══๑۩๑๑۩๑ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ✿(◡‿◡)♥☸ڿڰۣ ๑۩๑๑۩๑═══ ★

um, i stole that from someone on facebook. :) but it's not a font - it's actually a photo created by characters on the keyboard

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I forgot to take the link with me to IE but as regards the basil, Google Downy Mildew of Basil which started in the US in FL and is still going strong there. However Downy Mildew of Basil is not infectious for tomatoes.

Since you say it's just one fruit that appears to have what looks like a fungal infection at the stem end, which can be found with both Early Blight and Septoria Leaf Spot, as well as the early stages of Grey Mold, but haven't shown any leaf or plant stem symptoms, I'd ignore that one fruit for now but watch for any leaf symptoms as well as stem lesions on the plant itself.

And I agree that planting a marigold here in there can do nothing to deter Root Knot Nematodes (RKN's)but can attract Spider Mites/

Tagetes marigolds must be grown as a cover crop, very dense planting, and then turned over into the soil. Tagetes marigolds are a trap crop for nematodes b/c they can infect them but not muliply within them. And they also secrete a nematocidal substance, that isn't all that storng

From feedback I've seen from folks even the desnse plantings don't do much. The way to deter RKN's is to continually add organic matter if you feel you really do have a pathogenic nematode problem. Nematodes move from sand grain to sand grain via the watershell around each grain, so the more you can seperate those grains with added organic matter the less the nematodes can spread and build up to infective populations.

But first you have to know if you have RKN problems and I can't see that happening in a raised bed unless you bought some infected plants and so the disease was imported.

Carolyn

well, like i mentioned before, there is some sort of leaf issue which a supposed veggie doctor diagnosed as bacterial spot.

the romas in question came from home depot, so it may be a possibility that I imported something.

however, how would i know if i had RKN's unless i pulled the plant up?

What made you think you had RKN anyway? OK I havent read the thread that carefully. I had them one year when my ex put left over construction sand in my garden. The Co extension agent had never seen them before because its so rocky here. I just added a bunch of OM and they disappeared, but the plants that were affect were very noticable. They had what I would call failure to thrive, they stopped growing, wilted and eventually died. When I pulled the plants the roots were gross looking. I dont see that in any of your pictures?

Is this the only fruit that has set or the only one with these symptoms? If so Im wondering if its "just one of those things" and the rest of your harvest will be fine.

(so far) only one fruit has shown this symptom.

but i've had to cut off a bunch of branches because of the bacterial spot.

...and although i have some decent fruiting on the plants, I'm getting a ton of flowers with no pollination.

What made you think you had RKN? You might be surprised about the pollination thing, they may just be too small to see. I pull out (carefully) the bloom and many times there is a tomato button (tiny) left at the bottom.

I don't know if i have rkn - someone sent me a link to an article about marigold (which i have planted with my tomatoes) and the article mentioned it.

OK, I just wondered why you thought you had them, I dont see any evidence of them at all. When you do pull the plants it will be very evident on the roots, if you do have them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.