Where is Everybody?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

You'll have fun, BTW, Stan's buddy Ned is right here in Beaufort. www.plantfolks.com

Sumter, SC

It's truly amazing that Stan grows Satsumas w/o protection down in Scranton's rural, cold location. I'm overwintering my Satsuma and cumquat in the GH until they get too big and heavy to move about.

Johns Island, SC

This must have been a "good" year for tangerines! A few years ago, my wife had picked up some tangerines at a local Harris Teeter, and I was sitting on the back deck thoroughly enjoying one. It was one of the best I'd ever had! I was mindlessly spitting the pits off the deck when the thought occurred to me, "wonder if these pits would germinate"? To make a long story short, they DID germinate, and I grew all 5 of them out. Now, I'm familiar with all the published knowledge about citrus not breeding reliably from seed, but I'd also read a few articles who cried "BS" on that. I now side with the latter group. I gave 3 away, kept 2---one was much bigger than the other. Too big, in fact, to reasonably get in and out of the GH anymore. So with much trepidation, I planted it in the ground in the spring of '09, fully expecting it to crump over the winter. I DID plant it close to the GH, hoping the radiated heat from the warm GH might help it survive the chilly winter nights we get here in Charleston. Whatever the reason, I picked 50 some-odd absolutely delicious Tangerines from that tree last November. I took a picture of it, and if I can ever figure out how to post pictures from that mysterious little camera, I will. It was a proud moment! And the fruit was just as good as the parent...

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Oh wow, that's awesome! I really need more land......

Johns Island, SC

Finally figured out how to post a picture of that crazy Tangerine tree...

Thumbnail by StonoRiver
Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I like that kind of crazy!
Barb

New Bern, NC(Zone 8a)

Love the tangerine picture, Stono.
Hi from George Town, Great Exuma.
Entlie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.