What's happening in your neck of the woods .. Xmas 2011

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Woo Hoo .. it's the 27th .. winding down and enjoying the PEACE !

Flippin COLD here today due to a strong north wind .. no dog walking today ..

Hope all are well

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Evening all,

I cook my cranberries in a metal pot, haven't noticed that I shouldn't be..would love the cranberry recipe..

ohhhh snowing heavily out there..went to Barrie this morning with light jacket, before returning home temps had dropped and could have used a winter coat. Took a walk to the store and it's that heavy wet snow that at times break hydro lines..hope not. Great for making snowmen though. Am sure my snowmobilers were smilling NOT that they can be out using their machines but it's a start

Shopped in Barrie for about 3 hrs. this morning, omg all of a sudden I got so tired that I could have put my head down and slept..lol

Very peaceful here as well "M" kind of nice isn't it?

The 'Easterners' have the snow, and, we have bitter cold in NW Ontario .. venturing into the city today though, as I have run out of .. DISH SOAP !!! Think it;s the first time ever ..

The 'PEACE' after Christmas is wonderful Betty.

I also do my cranberries in a metal pot.

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Snowing ever so lightly but I would say we had about a foot yesterday..

Hardly a significant Christmas left in the house, now for dusting, vacuum and washing the floor and ,ain floor back to the way it was before decorating.

Greg called awhile ago, thought I'd be in Florida by now, nope home I am..listening to my body.

Was thinking of going out today and buying a new fireplace, I'm going, then I'm not, then I am and as I go through the process the day goes on...now look already 1:30 pm..hmm best I make up my mind!

Snowing here as well Betty .. remains cool though .. but, it looks nice ^_^

Company coming for brunch tomorrow .. have to clean away the flotsam and jetsom of Xmas .. hopefully it won't take too long ..

Had a conversation with a stranger in the checkout line at Safeway today .. quite a nice fellow who's first question to me was did I believe that 2012 was destined to be the 'end of the world' .. I had forgotten the predictions I had heard throughout 2011 with regards to that happening .. I told him my middle name was 'POLLY ANNA' and that I tended to be an ETERNAL optimist .. now I see the issue being discussed on the net .. weird ...

Lorna's parents called, seems they have a vehicle covered with about an inch of ice !!! Neither wants to slip slide out there to start the car and allow the stuff to melt .. perhaps tomorrow will be a better day for weather in that area ..

Off to rattle some pots and pans LoL

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Quite icy here as well "M" , just went to variety store, my turkey soup needed tomatoes..sure is nice having a variety store close by..coat over jammies and there you go.

I'd rather not be worrying about the end ofthe world, what is to be will be..doubtful the Lord gave anyone a sneak preview as to the final day. Think a few dates predicted have already been and gone.

Head still pounding, moving slow, might have done a bit too much today even though it was just a bit of work.. it's now couch time.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

See you guys had a bit of snow down there!

Wouldnt mind a bit of fresh snow in my back yard - what is there is hard and icy and makes it very difficult to pick up after the dogs! The back lanes are very icy too.

Ventured out to some stores yesterday, wanted a short black or grey winter jacket because most of my new hats are colors that look better with black than purple which is m y current winter wear! Found a decent one at Zellers, 50% off. Then went and bought a couple pair of new jeans - seems I buy two pair every year about this time, this year down from size 16 to 14! A bit snug but they have a slimmer leg this year so look nice - went straight to the dressmaker to shorten, ready by Friday.

I bought a couple of metal hat holders on line last week, they wall mount and hold 3 hats each, now I need to figure out where to put them. They came from somewhere in southern US, unfortunately shipped UPS which I hate, shipping and fees were more than the product.

Blood work today, chemo tomorrow

Victoria Harbour, ON

You will indeed be a fashion plate Carol.... Sounds as though you found the perfect attire and at a reasonable price..often see things on e-bay and net that I'd love to order but as you say shipping most times is more than the piece that is ordered.

Bitter cold day here..the kind that adds sparkles and glistens on all the snow touches..so pretty.

Already dressed..need wool for a cowal I'm knitting as a Christmas gift, can you believe up it?? Lol. A stop at Canadian tire (not sure where my snow brush went that i just bought) then off to home depot, thinking I might purchase a new fireplace ( the one i ought 5 years ago isnt working, probably just as expensiven to fix than buy new) ...won't fit in my car but I'm sure Greg will pick it up for me IF I find one before he goes home tonight.. I often think his thoughts are mom should have moved further away, seems its always mone mom calls when she needs a favor!

If I leave shortly should be home by 9:30-10:00 and still have the day ahead of me

Yeee HAW ~~ We have S N O W, and lots of it .. just 'tenderly' shoveled about 3-4" from the patio .. and .. 20 minutes later, looks as though it could be done again !!

Carol .. I save a lot of money by picking up my US purchases at the US border store, just have to put up with the inconvenience of driving the 90 miles one way ..

Hope you get your frieplace Betty ..

Having the family over for brunch (thank you M&Ms) .. should get going

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

M I did something similar couple of year ago with a big fabric order. I have a friend who goes across the border regularly for agility trials with her dogs and I ship to her friend of hers and she brings it back for me. But she does not go in the winter so I did not think of it this time. Need to remember that. It is too far to the border for me to bother driving across.

I find Fedex and Purolator are not so expensive but it seems most of the US shippers use UPS. And it is even better to use the USPS in my experience as far as shipping expenses are concerned

M I bought 3 roasts at M&M before Xmas- pot roast, pork and turkey breast. Just finished the turkey breast (toasted turkey and cranberry sandwiches for lunch for a few days!) I usually share with a neighbor of mine so I dont have leftovers for too long.

Victoria Harbour, ON

"m". Just came in from shoveling as well..snow was from yesterday..Greg picking up my fireplace after work, felt it would be easier through front entrance..quite a bit larger, hope it doesn't overpower the living room..will be cozy though.

Talk about a quick trip. To tow, hit 3 stores inside of 1/2 hour and homeward bound.
Not dong much, working on knitting a cowal shawl (knit2/lpurl2) easy going and had a pair of rag quilt slippers cut out, wanted to sew them and make dozens..not really not making the one pair so am sure there will be no more, I'll stick to rag quilts..

M&M make fantastic products..only second to homemade..guess it depends whose homemade though lol. Enjoy your company!

Carol, some fabrics and supplies can't be sent cross border only because some companies have that policy but I should order what. Ant and have shipped to be of the dg gals I usually meet up with in Buffalo from time to time.
Should check to see how "m" got a postal box, if it's hard to get one??

I've got the turkey soup that never dies going, added to tomatoes, had full pot..ate some, today added more broth and turkey, ful pot again..likely be eating soup until spring!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Marilynne - likely a late response, but the big issue is what KIND of metal the pot it made from. You shouldn't cook anything acidic in an aluminum pot, but stainless is no problem.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Likely mine are aluminum..are you still away ViolaAnn?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi,

Betty - I'm home. We flew on Wednesday and had to spend about half an hour chipping ice off the car when we arrived in Ottawa. Have dinner guests tonight and I've been doing a lot of shopping as the larders were pretty bare.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, yard is being plowed as we speak..luckily we got son's and not freezing rain many are getting in our region..says its heading east, hope not your way!

ViolaAnn, still chipping ice from the other day off my car..not fun especially when you come from warmer climate and have to stand in the cold..Bet you were wishing you could have stayed till spring.

Yikes,midd something I'm just sick about! Last night after fireplace was delivered Kyle came over to show me his snowmobile, came in and shirtlynwent to bed...this morning while getting coffee I heard scratchingnatnthe door...ooooh my poor old Sailor girl had spent the entire night out in the freezing cold..she has difficulties with her hips and in pain, sure hope I didn't cause her more pain..she is laying on the rug and enjoying heat of fireplace..lordy I feel bad!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty - not really. It was RAINING in Vancouver and hovering only a few degrees above freezing. That cold damp gets to you. I'll take cold, clear and sunny any day.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

g'morning all
I'm back - uneventful flight there and back.
Fabulous to see my Mom, DD & DSIL, 2 sisters and their DHs.
Wonderful visit with 2 friends also.
DD did a great dinner last night - 2 kinds of lasagna. 2 kinds of cake (chocolate & cheesecake), salad, etc.
Got pics of family, and friends.
Going to have a nap now........... very tired - 2 hrs sleep last night, and can't sleep on the plane.....will post some pics later
Bob will see me when he gets home from work.

Busy days for everyone .. 2012 can arrive anytime now ~~~

Brunch with the family went so well yesterday .. altho .. it did cost me a pretty penny. My son had bought both his kids something called a Blackberry Play tablet .. WELL .. by the time they left I was enthralled with this thing, and now have one on order LoL .. here's hoping GRAMMA can cope with it !!!!

No more snow ... YET ...

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm enthralled with the KOBO aka e-reader! My DD started talking "kobo" and I was clueless! then she started talking "books" and I realized she meant e-reader. Apparently their price has come waaaaaaaay down, so I may get one in March for my b-day. Anyway, I'll mention it to Bob :-)

I got Gord an eReader for Xmas .. a KOBO .. thought it'd be a hit, but, he has VERY ecclectic taste in reading materials. We searched for Fishing and Hunting magazines, books he would enjoy, but .. altho there were thousands available .. the KOBO is going back. I also didn't find it that easy to use, altho my DGD and DDinL whizzed through it ..

Just had the dogs out and the snow is melting !!! The eaves are dripping away .. if this keeps up the roads will ice over tonight :-(
We;re going to a bonfire party over the road for a little bit .. may not last til midnight ..

May I be among the first to wish you all a VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

~M~ and family

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" Jeff my son has downloaded about 1,000 books to many e readers (everyone in town he says) lol. Best is new Sony e-reader..think you gave up too soon! He has put that many books on my iPad, computer at work and my Sony..

He is an avid reader since childhood, never a book inches from him, said he'd never go back to books..the Sony has the most look alike page and easiest use system.

Susan, mentioned it on another thread..get me a memory stick, will let you know how much memory it needs..let me know some of your favorite writers and I'll have Jeff download for you..not many authors he doesn't have on his program..says that he has availability day they are released..

We had freezing rain last night..good day to stay in..needed bread but I can get that at the little variety store!

Was smart driving to Orillia to fabricland yesterday,, picked up enough supplies to keep me busy all weekend.

Did want to go in search of a more modern table/chair set but that can wait until next week.

"M" a bonfire sounds nice..NOT my time of year..it will be 21 years tomorrow Roger passed away..same day as my eldest was born..so mixed feelings always..never wanting to celebrate the NewYear but life goes on right? Although many years ago it is like yesterday at times...

Hoping you all enjoy the day ..be watchful of the weather...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

~M~ Love the Snoopy dance LOL

Betty - I MAY get an E-reader - if I do, then I will send you the memory stick and you can have your adorable Greg download (geeze, what a sweetheart!). I'm not an eclectic reader - love just about anything (no hunting/fishing/gory books though lol). How's your headache? Hope you're not overdoing!

Tonight we will be spending the night just the two of us, with wine and hottub. Right now I'm cleaning/clearing the house. We have 3 guests for dinner tomorrow - Ham & Scalloped Potatoes.

brrrr - temp is now -7. Going to +9 on Monday though! I go back to work on Wednesday.

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Carolyn I got an Sony Reader too! At present I'm engrosed in Dianna Gailbaldrons' newest book.I had to buy it.I didn't know I could get books downloaded from others.How does it work....in simple language? Hope you are feeling better.I have some health issues but nothing terminal...just a pain in the neck and foot and leg and wrist and need I say more? JOY

Victoria Harbour, ON

joy, my som is high tech, not sure but he has thousands of writers on his system, I simply give him a reader or memory stick and he downloads all the books..have to go in search of your favorites, who other than Gailbaldron's do you read??

Everyone made me hungry with talk of scalloped potatoes and ham so just got back from groceries..have enough food for an army..wish they would sell smaller portins for we loners

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - that's what freezers are for!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy New Year everyone...

Hope this year is filled with good health,great times and the best of friendships.

Sky is heavy this morning, I'm thinking rain...hope not, winter sports enthusiasts need a break.

Been up early sewing some quilt swap blocks I received from dg friends back in 2010.. Decided that in 2011 I'd get them into a project..actually have 4 projects sitting with same type swap blocks so at it I am..thought a runner for the end of the bed would use some up..if I'm a good girl by mid afternoon it should be done.

Have my ham and scalloped potato fixings so might call and see if Greg and family have plans for supper...may already have seeing its Greg's birthday today.

Hoping whoever celebrated last night do not wake with after effects..lol

Will you have company in or simply relax?

HAPPY LEAP NEW YEARS !!! We all have an EXTRA day to make the years EXTRA perfecto !!
We did go over to the bonfire, it was SO mild here, but, DAMP !!! After an hour decided the young folks could tolerate it a lot better ~~
Damp and mild again this morning with a brisk north wind .. it's sure icy on the patio !

Know this is a day of mixed emotions for you Betty .. I hope your day goes well .. sounds as though you are pretty busy ..

Cooking a roast of beef, just a couple of friends over .. pretty much a QUIET unassuming day (OH WHY did I say that) !!

Take care everyone, break the trail into 2012 with care ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" at least you were brave enough to venture out to the fire..
Cold and damp, even feel it in the house so up went the heat.
Was going to cook a big meal, called Greg to wish him a happy birthday and invite them over..had plans to go out to New Years bash today, gathering of all their friends but Melanie has the flu so will damper their festivities...he might go for awhile while Mel rests..

So as you say Susan, that's what the freezer is for, in goes my ham ..
Might make a spaghetti sauce though, that way I could get away from left over turkey!

Back to finishing my runner.

Should I get out of my Jammie's do you think? Lol

I think Jammies are the order of the day Betty .. I went to get dressed once and never did succeed LoL
Tried again, and AGAIN started doing something else.

Hope Melanie feels better sooner as opposed to later .. crummy to have the flu now ~~

OKAY .. I RESOLVE to get going, right NOW !!! LoL

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy New Year all and best wishes for 2012.

Going out to an ex neighbors for dinner- he still keeps in touch with a lot of us and providing nobody has a cold it should be pleasant. The invite prompted me to remember to tell people to stay away from me if they are not well.So I am sticking a couple of notes on my doors!

Looking for something new to eat for breakfast- have eaten corn flakes with fruit for years but it is starting to taste off ( chemo effect) A couple of weeks ago I bought a package of Special K with oats and honey or something similar and it was so sweet I threw it out! This morning I made porridge which was OK. Some foods are starting to taste off which is not unexpected. It seems sour things are better than sweet. I have been consuming dill pickles like crazy.

Have to make a trip to Fabricland today or tomorrow- everything 50% off and I need to buy a lot of polyfill for dog beds I try only to get it when on sale as it is generally more expensive than the fleece and denim we use. We have a fund raiser coming up in 2 weeks so I have the sewing machine set up in the kitchen and try to get 2-3 beds sewn every day. 2 other volunteers are also sewing. Joan and I cut up a huge amount of fabric before Xmas so it is ready to use- has to have the fill put in and trimmed and pinned ready to sew. That is the time consuming bit! I have all this in the basement but I find it is more productive to have the sewing machine set up in the kitchen and I just keep a couple of beds on the table ready to sew!

Fredericton N B, Canada(Zone 4a)

Betty In answer to your question to your question about my favorite author...I havn't been reading much due to poor eyesight.I've had a cataract removed and once more I'm reading.At the moment I have a list of best sellers from the newspaper that I'll ask my GD to get for me.I will also get some from the library. Really no favorite author but do enjoy Dianne. JOY

Betty .. watch for me flying by your house anytime now !!! Lordie, we have had 'ferocious' winds since early Sunday afternoon and they have not let up !! The drifitng is incredible ... poor dogs could hardly stand to do their business !!

Lots of cereals out there Carol .. but with your taste buds 'off' it'll be a challenge .. what about eggs ?
Good luck with the dog beds .. I was to have purchased one for Xmas for the lot of them .. but surveyed the living room, counted FOUR beds and 3 animals and decided against it !!

For the first time since sometine in the 1990s, I got sick to my stomach last night :-(
Upsets a person that, especially when it comes on so quickly !! No one else was ill, so, I guess I should just count myself lucky that it seems to have been a ONE time thing . Have an 'ishy belly' this morning, but, feel OK.

May have to brave the wind and go out and tie up the large ste of windchimes .. they're crashing, not chiming ^_^

Have a super day everyone

~M~

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Had a lovely ham and scalloped potatoes dinner last evening. Always tastes better when somebody else cooks!

M. I can eat eggs but tend to keep them for lunch, Will try Rice Krispies and maybe puffedwheat if I can find small enough boxes.In the mean time porridge will do.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Had blizzard conditions here this morning but wind has died down..no plows on the road but don't mind. Imagine roads are very icy considering snow was melting yesterday and then the night freeze.

I have spent part of the morning cleaning and organizing the craft room, put some sense into what project materials I have then trying to figure out what my next project will be. Runner for my beads done, you know me need something to be working on at all times, call that resting. Lol

Have knitting beside me on the chesterfield, making a few cowals (type of scarf) for next Christmas. Ann was here yesterday, said if I am trying to figure out what to get her just put her name on one of them.

Carol, how did your dinner go yesterday..you sure are a trooper to take on making those bed Matt's..yikes, such an undertaking. You usually sell all the ones you make right..are they washable? Should make one for Sailor but don't know at her age if she would use one?? Do the dogs need training to use them?

Joy, haven't real any of her books..at the beginning I became a member of Barrie library so I could download their e-books but they had limited amounts to pick from and then when I did get notification that one of my choices was available I would download and only have a few weeks to read..

Victoria Harbour, ON

Carol..bought the fixings to have same for yesterday but because I'd be on my own decided to not cook..you have my outh watering..I love porridge but buy the variety boxes so a bag is just the right amount and easy to make

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy New Year to you all
Health and Happiness for 2010 and don't forget to have a great time in the Garden!

Carol what about the little box's of Cereal that have just a big selection, although they are aimed at kids so maybe really sweet.
I found that Smoothies with some protein powder hit the spot most days. I used Mango's a lot as they didn't upset me the frozen berries worked well too. That way you get some power food in a drinkable form and I just would have some sips and put it back in the fridge , it lasted all day.
I haven't tried an e reader so can't comment on one do have a friend that travels with hers a lot.

It's + 6 today, and we don't have much snow cover as it is, I'm worried about my perennials as they are not going to be happy when the temp drops.

This is my last day off and back to work tomorrow and my friend just called , our seeds are in! Spring must be on its way.
Alberta Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I got a blender ;last month but so far have not hit on a combination i like for a smoothie. Had to throw out a couple of tries! Have the protein powder and a bag of mixed fruit, probably try with orange juice and yoghurt.

Just back from Fabricland - thought it would be really crowded but it was fine. I got 10 metres of polyfill- regular $17/metre, 50% off today. Also found a nice dark green corduroy to use for backing instead of denim.I an always on the hunt for colored denim and cord- hard to find.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good Afternoon, everyone! Hope your New Year's Day dinner was all you hoped.
Carol - sucks to not be able to eat the cereal you've come to want all these years. Surely you'll find something soon. How was your dinner at your ex-neighbour's? We had ham & scalloped potatoes, too. Again for supper tonight lol Bob says he's getting sick of turkey, but I don't mind it yet. He's going to work tomorrow and I have another day off, so guess what I'm having for sandwiches? lol

Betty - how are you today? Still have that headache?

It's +9 now, and going on 4pm, but have not changed out of jammies lol Trying to learn my new e-reader, but when I tried to add the Desktop Installer for my Aluratek (one of Kobo's models) my Virus checker said it was a Trojan and deleted it..... siiiiiigh Anyway, reading some books and hope to be able to download some others from you, Betty. I'll send you the memory stick perhaps tomorrow :-)

I watched Jumanji today. No matter how many times I see it, I really like it. It seems like a moralistic movie, so maybe that's why?!?!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Carol I found that Mango worked the best for me and don't overdo the Protein powder, yogurt and ice chips blended to death. I found the orange was too acidic for me. Maybe a 50/50 split of mango to orange would be good too it was a bit like a creamcycle ( can't spell that one)

A bit colder here today but still right around 0.
Back to work today and will start dreaming about gardening as the days are getting longer!!

Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just dropping in quick 'hi'
Just got back from hospital, best girlfriend Darlene called to say they rushed her hubby Mike to hospital...bleeding in brain, not good..drove in, taking him off life support once his mom and dad arrive..56 yrs old, kind hearted, call him my earthly angel now soon to be with the angels...

Not a good day!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.