Growing Hardy or Regular Cyclamen Outdoors in Zone 10a or 11

Vista, CA

We have had frost here in Vista that has turned my outdoor Begonia leaves to mush, but which the Cyclamen I planted in the same area just love. I like the Cyclamen very much and would be happy to plant more of them, but have found information mostly for potted plants. I would plant seed, tubers or bedding plants, but since I am too old to even buy green bananas, I prefer started plants in flats, or tubers.

I have found informationt that says they do not bloom in the summer, but that is okay.

Information about your experiences, sources of supply, or just general comments will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ernie

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Ernie, here in Las Vegas, this time of year, they are available at just about every nursery. Here, they bloom the majority of the winter and in the summer, the plant disappears. That is why I do not plant them because I have noting in that area in the summer and I usually disturb the bulb when I try to plant something where they were planted.

Some landscapes here use them as an annual. When they stop blooming, they are removed. I plant Jonnie Jump-ups and various colors of violets. They bloom all winter and when it starts to warm up they quadruple in size and bloom for another two months. Sharon, again.

Vista, CA

Sharon, I did read that most people either use them as annuals or potted plants, but they did so well here in the frost, and some people use them as perennials, letting them go dormant in the summer when there is other color around. I bought 14 more today, as the first six did so well and look so pretty. That planter has a sand bottom, which they like, and i will test a few in the adjacent planter. If the begonias do not come back, i will replant them one more time, and see which does the best.
Thanks for the information.
Ernie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.