More Summer Brugmansias.

Cairns, Australia

Here is big y blooming again, but more, smaller because of the heat & humidity.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Victoria, Australia

Quote from ctmorris :
Can't wait to smell the perfume. Some of the brugs really wilt this weather even though I know they're not dry. They bounce back once the sun goes over. Some of them stand up tall and taunt the sun

Yeah same here.. around 30 degrees today and tomorrow and lots of sun. seems the suaveolens and sanguineas collapse but only in direct sunlight (unless it gets really hot which also cooks the flowers). aurea x's seem more tolerant.
Glad to hear the aurea is about to flower, you will love it. Great scent!

This message was edited Dec 15, 2011 7:41 PM

Clifton Springs, Australia

Ok, Chrissy...Angioletto he is....
My seeds are very odd this year...taking much longer than the last 2 years babies to germinate.....any wonder with this uneven heat....

Colleen, I haven't named the baby yet..he's one of these kids that you have to see what he does before he gets a name.....with Topsy last year...it was the way he grew...he's about to flush soon...I hope he retained that big bold Ecuador Pink shape...

All of the Apricot Versi X 2yr olds are about to flush....I wonder what they will be like and who might their pollen parent have been.....

NO velvet leaves.....so the cutting must be FFA......I will say yippee in lower case....just in case..lol
Angioletto is a big strong boy too...

Yay !!!!! then it's FF Dianne ...sing out if you want HB ...it will be after Christmas now though, because I have too much, going on here. I am happy Angioletto is doing well for you ...it is pure white in Summer and lemon sorbet in Winter. Yes the seeds have been all over the place but as usual once they start coming up ...it's almost all over night (the fresh ones anyway). The quickest was a green arch in 4 days.

Those versi babies will be interesting ...probably will be Apricot if cestrum's results so far, are anything to go by, good luck , we will be waiting for the pics.

Gena your Angel Tree is lovely ...that white looks very familiar. ^_^

One of Wayne's little seeds is a four cot, I consider that a good omen, (lots of flowers).
Shaun's seeds are up from the Pink and Green cross,
oh heck I have that many up it's making me a bit nervous, but you never get over the thrill of that little green arch rising from it's seed/cork.
So I have had to move lots of the earlier seedlings along into bigger homes today while there was no rain for once(no sun either). In a way, the cooler temps are more seed friendly, they don't get such a shock as they are moved.
It's exciting to see the rise of the cool temperature brugs I hope they all go well for everyone.
My Iochroma is only just starting up ...so late.

Oh I almost forgot ...I thought I had lost Bengal Tiger, but he has risen up finally from it's Winter sleep (he likes heat), I almost forgot I had him, so I dug him out and moved him to a warmer place today, hopefully he will like it better there.

barmera, Australia

I'm here..... I look a bit like BB but waxy and I smell like Clementine. mmmmmm and I'm about the same size as Arborea. but I'm me Yellow Aurea. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

it looks like there is a flurry of activity in here, i got home about 20min ago and started to pollinate some flowers., i have many seed caps but am still trying to get all my plants crossed with KNIGHTII.
i also received a package from Costa rica 2 day with 10 pks of seed 1 of which is
Strybing Vulsa X. vulcanicola 'Zunca' is there any special requirements for germination>???????

i also have many seeds up now thinking what to do with them>>!!!!!!! and more seed ariving YAhhooooooooooooooooooooooooo i cant wait for the 2 years mark with many of them the crosses are interesting Girls youll lve some of these

It' s very cute Colleen ...glad you have finally met an Aurea, now you know why we love them.
I don't get a scent like Clementine at all in mine but we all smell things differently, for me it's a warm buttery, toffee,almondy sort of scent.
So long as you enjoy it that is all that matters.

Good for you Shaun, that will keep you busy for a while ^_^
Sorry I don't know about cold climate seeds, the only one I have been successful with is the Arborea (less touchy)

I lost the seeds that Lucas sent on the one day that the temp shot up to 38C.
I guess I should have moved them into heavier shade, but at the time my Brother was not well and I didn't get out there in time (they were in dappled shade.).
When I was growing out the Arborea I just treated them the same as warm climate Brugs to germinate them ...grew them to a foot or so high and then into heavy shade (jungle foliage for the Summer heat.
I found they did not require coddling once more mature (no overwatering).
Better ask at BGI where they have experience.
Good Luck !

Victoria, Australia

Wow, that (strybing x zunac) cross should yield some Very interesting seedlings! I am soo jealous. Good luck with them!! hope you do well.

They should be easy to germinate as with sanguinea if fresh... don't need peeling or soaking
Dunno how fresh they are, perhaps better to wait til Autumn as they prefer cooler conditions...
or you could try sowing a few now and a few later on maybe...

Merino, Australia

Heres my cutie pie this morning.
Little arborea.
Such a cute little fellow.
I went down last night to smell the scent. Reminds me of a perfume my mother used to wear. Very nice.
He is all curled back this morning.. I had to run down early before hubby even got any breakfast.
I also collected the nice pollen already. Lots of it and so fluffy.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Another view. There are 2 more nice buds coming

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Last pic.

Wow Shaun, you are going to have fun with those seeds. Cant wait to see how they go.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Beautiful ! Jean it smells just like 4711 cologne ...sometimes like Tosca depending on the temps.
Congratulations ...aren't they adorable !

You are going to be very busy, Shaun.....
Unless you made a typo, check the spelling on your Strybing Vulsas x Zunca......I think it should be Zunac...they sound like Michael Graupe x's, he is a friend of the person in Costa Rica.....
They will be very good seeds....the Strybing Vulsas x Sanguinea's that Colleen, Lucas and I are growing were his and they have been brilliant growers......

Chrissy, I am so glad that Bengal Tiger is still around.....in very early posts, it was mentioned quite a lot, but I haven't heard anything about it for ages....please post a pic when it flowers......

Gena, I am amazed that your Big Y doesn't snap off....It must be in a protected spot.....it's flowering very well.
Colleen, aren't Aureas just great, now that you've smelt it's lovely perfume and they are so strong..
My white seedling flower (what's left of it) has dropped it's second skirt but I don't know if it's because of the damage.
The second flower has opened so I'll wait and see if it does the same....pics coming..

Beautiful Jean......well worth the wait....

Victoria, Australia

Ah there's the ol aurea, actually does look quite similar to arborea!
Well done Colleen.

Jean, very nice. Now all you need to do is raise those sanguineas to flowering size and x pollinate them with arborea and grow out some of your own flavas...

Dianne i have a TYPO it is as you stated 'Zunac' i have not germinates cold group befor so looking for some info.
is there anything i need to know about the cold group that will help in the germination of seed or even cuttings im finding that i dont get a good result with them..?????

all you girls are so bizzy with the flowers and crossing i wish i had more time and didnt work as much as i do or id bee a hive of bee's just doing every flower and hoping for the best results
Jean your arborea looks so pretty and i hope he give you more

Merino, Australia

thats it Chrissy. 4711..
I said that to hubby last night but couldnt think of it this morning. ..

Shaun, I am still learning about the cold climate brugs too.
I treat them the same as all the other brugs when growing seeds. Once they are grown, more care needs to be taken on where you keep them in the hot weather.

Colleen, thats not GHA is it ?
I am waiting on other aureas to grow so I can compare them.
I love the scent. So much stronger than the other brugs.
Jean.

Shaun, Lucas knows more about them than we do....so take his advice and plant just a few now and the rest from Autumn on.....
He is the one to ask about the cuttings too.....the cold weather is best for them.
We have only just started on the cold groups and Lucas has been growing cuttings and seeds from them for some time....successfully.

I didn't think that it was GHA, Jean... did you?.....it looked pointy.
I thought that Colleen would have mentioned the name if it had one....

This message was edited Dec 17, 2011 8:37 AM

Victoria, Australia

That aurea (Colleen's pic) came from me.
It may or may not be GHA... and similarly it may (or may not) be the same as Diannes.
I attempted pollination with donated pollen from the latter on it, without success... for some time I have suspected that the yellow ones in Melbourne are for the most part the same clone propagated via cuttings and distributed by nurseries and amateur gardeners... x pollination attempts will go some way to clearing this up. Jean I think I sent you a piece of this one?

The vulcanicola x seeds should I assume be as for sanguinea as it is closely related though I have no experience with it. Simply sow in moist soil just below the surface, no soaking or peeling necessary. Maybe contact people on BGI who have experience growing them?? I am interested to see how you go.

Your sanguinea 'yellow' cuttings.. only one remains but it's hanging in there... we will see...
You are better off trying cuttings in autumn-winter though they still take quite a while to strike. Arborea similar. I have to date not had any success in warmer months with sang cuttings.
For interests sake:

http://www.greenfinger.at/Brugmansia_vulcanicola_en.html

Zunac vulcanicola:

http://ibrugs.com/Admin/ArticleAdminFeaturedPlantsMore/tabid/213/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/40/Sphaerocarpium-Brugmansia-vulcanicola-Zunac.aspx

http://ibrugs.com/Community/iBrugsCommunityPods/PodsView/tabid/222/asg/31/aft/317/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx

Strybing vulsa (vulcanicola x sanguinea):

http://www.strangewonderfulthings.com/189.htm

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/56057/

Merino, Australia

Yes, Lucas, I have your piece doing well. I also now have Shauns aureas
They do grow well here.
Colleens flower looks different to GHA even when he is in pale mode.
May just be the different climates, water etc..
As mine was originally a purchased one, it is logical that its parent stock came from a city nursery, probably Melbourne...
I just love that vulcnicola color. A pity it is not easily obtainable.
I am sure it would just love my cool climate. We do get hot but not so much for so long as other places
All my cool climate babies are doing well even with a few hot days.
I find that seed does take a bit longer to germinate here, but once up, the babies do very well.
I am so pleased with my arborea a sit is only just 3' high and flowering.
Chrissy , thank you for the seed. I only got the two up but well worth the effort.

We are all turning into quite a brug growing community on here. Go , all of us.
We will have a large Aussie gene pool in no time. Warmies & coldies.
Jean.

Jean Dianne & Lucas thanks for the help
the threads were informative and a little help
i am glad that the aurea i have supplied has moved for all of you i think its a cuttie and only 4foot tall.

Lucas if you need more just ask i have a plant just about to flower here, also your not far from Clayton????????? i know of a brugmansia on Orloff Close, Clayton South, Victoria, it was a very soft flower and if your in the area could you get a cutting or 2 of it.
I remember a friend telling me about it many years ago!!!!!!

I also hope that the Strybing Vulsa X. vulcanicola 'Zunca' will do good things for me in about 2 years or so
ill keep u all informed

white ruff

Thumbnail by SolMan

Shaun, your Aurea that is only 4ft tall, is it a seedling or a cutting from another 4ft Aurea.....that would be a very handy plant if it stays that small..
White Ruff is very pretty.

For some reason my Buck's Fizz doesn't get tall, it's about 5ft high x 7ft wide.....touch wood, I have never seen really strong vertical growth.....if it does put any out and I am assuming it will, I will take the new growth out...it's perfect the way it is....
It's been in flower since early November and there are lots and lots of flowers to come...
I had to take out the lower branches,while they were in flower as they were suffocating the plants underneath, I am always taking out lower growth on this one.
Took this pic this morning.

How tall are everyone else's?
Dianne.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 8:54 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Dianne, the aurea is a full grown plant it is around 4 foot tall, it is not from seed or a cutting either,

this is aurea form which i have had for about 5-6 years and has not grown any larger then what it currently is in my garbage bin, i think it's a slow grower and is very happy in full sun and is not a big water drinker

i think its a very cute plant and i am now using it as a breeding plant both ways.

Thumbnail by SolMan
barmera, Australia

Shaun, please tell me, how can something not come from a seed or cutting? Aurea form means what? Colleen

it come from a cutting many years ago ((SORRY ABOUT MY MISTAKE all plants come from seed at 1 time or another LOL )) and i have supplied to a number of cuttings to members here so i have no idea if it will get bigger

I asked Alistair what this variety ::::
It is a form of B. aurea which at one time he thought was Goldenes Kornett, but it is not. It has no cultivar name.

sorry about confusion guys

Merino, Australia

Your plants are looking good Shaun.
What is the breeding of White Ruff ?
I havent heard that name before.

Dianne, my Bucks Fizz is only about 3'high. . I had put it down to just slow growing, but if it stays that size, very good.
It does seem to put out all horizontal growth . It has Y'd but the small buds fell off last year . No more so far.
It will get a haircut with the rest in late autumn. .

I was looking at all my brugs a while ago. They enjoyed the bit of rain but I see that a lot are getting either lighter green leaves or some yellowing along the leaf veins. I did read somewhere that sometimes a citrus fertiliser will help. I feed regularly and rotate fertlisers. They are always watered . It is occurring on both the ones in pots and in the ground.

Our water does have a high calcium content and I can tell you , tastes awful.
Any advice , please.

Chrissy, StarDancer seeds are sprouting but sadly Hope , like your Birthday Angel earlier is gone. Just went all soft and rotted.
FFA is still struggling on. It grew tall but only has a little moptop of leaves.
Maybe it will do better after I cut it back next year. Its funny that only these are the ones that give up.

Jean.

Jean.

White ruff is an Alistair Hays Cross between 'Frosty Pink' X.suaveolens White
soon there will be a fic in the BGI galleries to view them as well as Dwarf Pink & Green

When chrissy said to increse the australian pics & varieties in there i started to send pic there
I have in there at the moment
B. suaveolens
B. 'Dwarf Pink & Green'
B. 'Knightii'
& soon B.'White Ruff'

Dianne when your cutting back Bucks Fizz can i please have a cutting i dont have this 1 as yet
Thanks ill send address in PM

Jean I have chopped HOPE on Friday and I have nubs on the cuttings sitting on my kitchen window, I will root one up for you. looks like some of these plants do well in some places and not in others. I will forward you a rooted, when ready. FFA is a telegraph poll with an umbrella top.makes it perfect as an umbrella form or Alley tree. This is from the Miss New Orleans Lady Gene because my other Ludger crosses are only 5/4 ft bloomers.
The Cuttings like to grow in a very shady situation while actually rooting up (a little morning sun).
Could you tell me if you got nubs before you planted them ?
It makes a huge difference. My guess is that the heat lovers may not like your area ...console yourself with the fact that the cold group will probably love it. A lot of the "warm climate" babies don't mind a cooler area than mine, it's just a matter of seeing who likes what, that is why we try plants in all areas.

My Bucks Fizz has remained shorty too. I am pretty sure most Brugs will be taller in the ground of course, so I haven't seen the ground height yet. You have a beautiful plant there Dianne, mine gets chopped up a fair bit,I will not chop it this year and enjoy it in all of it's glory.

Edited because I forgot to spell HOPE in Capitals (smacking my hand :) )

Shaun a Brug isn't full grown if it is in a container ...to really find out how big it grows you need to plant it.
Witness your Knightii picture The Knightii waterfall) to see what I mean ...most of us have knightii in a pot and it remains shrub. I think the cutting taken from above the Y blooms sooner but the trunk cuttings give you a more sturdy and taller ultimate growth.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 12:40 PM

Shaun good on you for putting your pictures into the Gallery ...looks good in your own Gallery now too :)

Your pics in the gallery look lovely Shaun...especially 'Dwarf Pink & Green',
I will send you Buck's Fizz ASAP...

Jean, I think that it's the inconsistent weather that's causing the yellowing.....my big bottom leaves are doing the same and some little leaves are too..but the plants are growing like crazy......give them some epsom salts if you are concerned, the magnesium and iron should give them a boost..and green them up...

Zabaglione isn't a tall grower either, it has gone sideways too, just a bit more open than BF.
Chrissy that FFA? is teasing me.....I moved it to the glass doors so I can see as soon as it opens..
There are about 20 buds on it, they are getting bigger, but oh so slowly.....it is in the largest size pot with it's brother...and I can see trouble coming...Angioletto has sent up this massive shoot, that is shoving FFA to one side, but FFA is fighting back by spreading at the top...lol
Back later.

Merino, Australia

You are most likely right Dianne. It will be the silly weather causing the slight yellowing. I give all my brugs a dose of Epsom salts in Spring when I do the roses.

They are growing well so nothing serious.

Chrissy, Usually I stick cuttings in a bucket until nubbies show.
Didnt help with these though.
GHA , I just break off and stick in the ground. I must stop doing that or I will have a forest of him.

Jean.

Jean there is a big difference to those that are almost pure like GHA and some others, some hybrids need a bit more cossetting to get going, (just my experience ) because of the multi genes.
Most of our original old varieties are old varieties because they will root up on damp ground. Some (not all ) are a bit more sensitive (once again just my experience).
Mine are all showing nubs, sitting in pre boiled and cooled to tepid water (about one and a half to two inches ) in clear plastic cups, they get morning sun only nothing after about 10 ish they set nubs in 24 to 48 hours, I think the steam from the washing up might make them happy (not sure on that one though :) ).

Dianne my Musketeer is in a built up garden (cut up 44 gallon drum on top of the clay beneath), it is about 9 ft tall and spreads right out (it was a trunk plant when I bought it off Alistair)

I can't wait to see FFA bloom for you ...how tall is it ?

Pale leaves ...gosh I do think it's fairly normal coming out of one season to another, but too much water or too much nitrogen can do it,who knows ...the plants seem to outgrow it.
Mine are still dropping yet more buds (too much water I think ) sometimes if the plants are growing like mad they may choose to ditch bloom in favour of more growth.
I read somewhere that we should remove all those shoots coming up from the ground if the plants are weather stressed because they will ditch the buds in order to promote the new shoots.

This message was edited Dec 18, 2011 3:38 PM

Victoria, Australia

Haha Shaun I will go check out that brug for sure, hopefully it's still there lol.
still jealous re: those vulc seeds.. fingers crossed for you

I noticed that the strybing vulsa x sanguinea seedlings are much more vigorous than my sanguinea seedlings grown in the same conditions right next to them...

Jean I had the same experience with my Butter bomb cutting, it just sat there for literally months, then one day rotted through and died. Thing is it was a pre-rooted cutting lol. The Clementine is thriving though.

Jean did the Maya cutting make it?

Merino, Australia

Yes Lucas. I thought it may not for a few weeks but it is looking lovely and so is the one from Chrissy. Thank you both. I do like variegated leaves on plants.
My Clementine ( from Colleen) has decided she wants to live after all. A very slow starter
.Guess what. I found while doing was doing my stocktake of brugs ? A nice little 3' plant hiding behind a Hebe.
It is the original Clementine from Alistair which I thought had died
Two others from Alistair have made Ys. Adele Essex and Mango Cornet. I live in hope of buds on them

Lots of lovely rain here. The brugs are slurping madly.
Jean.

Chrissy is Musketeer as floriferous as Buck's Fizz?

FFA is about 5ft tall.....you gave me the cuttings about 12 months ago....it Y'd about 6 mnths ago at 3ft, but since then it has thrown off lots of tiny buds...about a month ago it saw it's sibling growing big buds, so it decided to grow bigger and better buds....

With Angioletto, it was different, it has been very wimpy in it's growth, then at the start of Spring it sent up this branch from the bottom of the wimpy trunk, flowered from the wimpy bit and now the new branch is taller than it's brother...
Has everyone seen these.....put your tongues back in....lol
http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/22504-christmasish-blooms/

Wimpy ? Dianne ...it must have been an above Y cutting most likely, you must remember that these are considered Tropical Plants, except for the cold group ...so I think you are doing very well. They need some nice warm sun and moist air.
No Musketeer is a bit more shy, beautiful when it flushes, but compared to most of the others, like I said a little shy. I love Zabaglione for floriferous.

Glad you got rain Jean.

it looks like a torrent of info about our plants again it must be that time when flowers are flushing for the 2nd time this season.
I have just potted up about 50 seedlings
Tomato Absinthe
Pink Panther X.Butter bomb
Domain X.Buck's fizz
Knightii X.aurea
Knightii X.Old Apricot
The above are all from Lucas and thank you Sir for the beautiful Seedlings that have emerged.

Miz Scarlet (Esmeraldas X.Mountain Magic TJ.Sessions) X.Sam
Pink Perfection X.New Orleans Lady

I have also notices that i have Dr Seuss X.Aztec Gold, cant wait to see them as adults in a few years,
But the funniest thing is that White Ruff is a very good Mother she will take pollen from many sources and is carrying many pods at present but still waiting on Knightii to be the dad

Dianne Love the link and the beautiful sanguinea X's,

1 More thing get down to BUNNINGS there are labels there 50 for $3.52 and are worth it if your got as many seeds coming throw as I have.
here is the lables

Thumbnail by SolMan
Victoria, Australia

Wow, bought some of those labels last time I was at my local bunnings.
They also had some OA brugs, including flowering specimens. $16 from memory but decent size.

OA=?????
I have seen you guys use this term but i have not asked about them

I also asked about the Brugmansia that Bunnings Buys and they only get 2 types Knightii & ???Apricot .... i was also told the company name but it was not worth remembering

Victoria, Australia

OA = Old Apricot.
Precisely the one to which you refer. It is the common heritage Australian apricot B. x candida cultivar which you may encounter in the burbs.

and yeah I've seen Knightii's at Bunnings too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.