More Summer Brugmansias.

Merino, Australia

Here's the new thread everyone. Opened with my beautiful new Baby.
We came from here..
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232081/

Ludgers Windsong x Mon Amour de Mareuil.

Chrissy thanks for the comments . Did you have any of this cross grow out at all from that lot of seeds way back then ?

Yes, he does have 6 points and the perfume was still noticable at around 9am.
Hard to define, but it reminds me of some past scent. It may come back to me later. Hints of GHA 's aurea scent in there.

Jean.

This message was edited Dec 9, 2011 1:12 PM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

I must look up my list ...I don't think so ...or maybe on the second lot.
awww you must be so chuffed, 6 points great colour ! I think it will grow even more beautiful with some more flushes.
Just the first of many I am sure !
Once again Congratulations and thankyou for a lovely new thread picture,
what an exiting preview of Summer brugs to come ^_^

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

Jean, congratzzzzzzzzzz on the new arrival
Such a sight for sour weary eye
The bloom is so stunning I'm sure in the next
2 years we will be breeding from it as you would
Conceder 

I forgot this one ...here is the Culebra cutting ...that is growing quite quickly.
It probably enjoys the good drainage ...planted in washed river sand.

Thumbnail by

Some of the American seeds are sticking a toe out of the cork in the soak water ...I would say probably about 40% of them are definitely viable ...some were empty. Some of the rest I can't really tell yet, but that is pretty good.
Compare the price of a plant compared to seeds after all. One good plant more than pays for 100 seeds at least.
These seeds were a test run, I just wanted to see if they would pass through ... the lovely Edna sent them to me as a gift, how lucky was I.
I did soak because by the time they arrive in Australia they may be quite old, luckily their fresh harvests OS are in their Autumn while we are planting in Spring. Make a note of that.
She knows I want a special white so the crosses are geared to that goal I think.
Well it has warmed up a little ...I have been able to plant up a few more seeds and seedlings.
The first little toe that stuck out was Peanut x LBG almost guaranteed a white, and perhaps a double with twirls (hope so).

Clifton Springs, Australia

Jean, I missed all the excitement.......how beautiful she is and what a beautiful name..Opale Etoile.
I love it....wow.......cestrum will love it too when she sees it.......those colours and that flare...

As you said, well worth the wait......my husband came over for a look and had the cheek to say" Why aren't yours as pretty as that?".......LOL......one day maybe, I told him....
A big Congratulations.....I bet that Seedsprout would love it too, if she could see it.

Yes Chrissy, Edna is very kind...she sent me some seeds about 6 months ago and they were all confiscated by Aqis......she sent more bless her.....She hadn't sent any here before and didn't know to include all the info......and she had sent them before I could tell her.
I don't know how many cuttings and seeds she must give away over a year.
I think she is the US equivalent of you.

Merino, Australia

Here is a pic from this morning of the two flowers now open. The first was 6 points, but the other is 5. Still beautiful.
Dianne , I am still thinking on the name but I think of the brug as him because hes a strong grower like GHA and BB

I did a smell around last night. Dragged hubby down too, but he has very little sense of smell so couldnt add any comments.
I dont have Chrissys nose for sorting the various components of the different types of scents but I can tell the difference between them.
GHA is strong and sweet, I love it,
BB is similar but not as strong.
Knightii is more like maybe 4711.
The new one reminds me of a scent but I cant think what.
Quite strong and fresh. Maybe like one of the old perfumes I have used.

I was hoping the 2nd skirt would drop but not so far.
Nice tendrils sticking out from it though.
When the top branches grow bigger, I will have some cuttings to send out to grow it for me.
I really want this one to be great. Next year will be the test, to see if it is as good.
I am hoping it is not similar to any others so I can eventually have it out there for everyone .

Chrissy, do you know who the hybridiser was at Seedsprout as I would like to put that in my file and need it for putting my seedling pic on BGI .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Merino, Australia

Looking up.
The photos dont show the true color. It is darker and has orange tones in the pink. Very like the color in Mon Amour de Mareuil.

Jean.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2011 8:53 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Brenda Delph was the dear lady who hybridized the seeds Jean.

Don't forget some doubles drop their skirts in heat , some prefer cooler temps like Autumn to drop their skirts.
I am sure this one will inprove because the weather has been hot and dry for you,
Congratulations once again.

I haven't been outside yet still cool and grey out there (of course).
Isn't it wonderful to see the seedlings coming through ?
Love it ...it's what we have all been working for.

Oops I forgot to say those tubes look really stuffed, pretty sure you have multiple skirts in there, at least a triple, maybe more.
If your weather cools a little you may see skirts drop, but I remember Twilight Time dropped her triple skirts in heat, on the 3rd day, so it can still happen.

Merino, Australia

Chrissy, the tubes are like the ones on my Knightii.
so fat , they look pregnant. I did wonder about more skirts.
When I opened the Knightii flower, I found so much petal material in there, so you may be right.
I will have to attack one flower on this to see whats going on and to get pollen if I can.
I have posted it on the brug forum to see what comments I get.
Jean.

Victoria, Australia

Jean maybe you could try crossing the double pink with Knightii or GHA??

still warm and sunny here... where is this rain that was supposed to come? brugs need a drink...

We just had 13mm, Lucas..at 1.30 ...it usually takes the weather an hour to get to Melbourne...You should have some too, with any luck.
Sorry Jean, looks like you've missed out......I must say if you did have our storm your baby BOY would have been battered around.....the new pics are great...going over to BGI to have a look.

Buck's Fizz has been amazing with it's flushes this season...it seems to be an endless flush...
Here it is this morning.

This message was edited Dec 10, 2011 2:14 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Yes, we can get some strong genes into the more delicate hybrids with Brugs like Buck's Fizz and Old Apricot.

Dianne that is a great shot ! I am starting to like the more bushy look, the Umbrella look is great for saving room and I like to look up into the faces of the Brugs but the shrubs are really something aren't they.

How is our New double Brug mum tonight ?
I recall trembling with excitement when TT bloomed, it can really take it out of you, all that shock and excitment. ^_^

The description of an opal like appearance is very exciting.
Can't wait to see more of Opale Etoile.

Chrissy the Culebra is looking gooooooooood keep it up girl,,,,,

Jean i have been showing all the guys at work this Beauty like a PROUD uncle i just cant believe the beauty in it your eyes heart & mouth must be sore from looking and waiting then the arrival you would have screamed the clouds down cos of it... have you given her a name yet>>>>>>??????

lucas its been a crap few days her hay and then the 1 hour of rain juts to make it even more muggy

Dianne 'Buck's Fizz' is about to scream @ u with that many flowers about to open at once, id be there with the pollen ready to cross every 1 of them LOL or at least all of them

i have been bizy with work and then home to my babies all looking well and doing many crosses but aurea not as yet with Dianne's Macadon aurea will be as soon as the flowers arrive
hope all you girls are fine and the weather is not taking a big toll on your bodies
Shaun

barmera, Australia

Hi everyone have a little story to tell. I was out watering today and guess what. I found one pod on the ground, still quite green in colour. I picked it up and examined it and thought to myself that looks dry at the top where the stem came off. So I very carefully oped it and these 2 little things like a brain were inside. I thought "what the?" I took pics. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris
barmera, Australia

Continuing the story......... I then proceeded to break the little brains apart and Whoo hoo and whoopeee and wallah 60 seeds from my Flava. ArboreaX Sanguinea. Who wants some?

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Colleen, its quite amusing to hear you said you found it's like Christmas a baby pod with the littlee's in side. I found a pod a while ago thought they were enviable and now have 2 seedlings from it
Id like a few seed if not a problem i have never grown a Arborea which would be interesting to grow and even have
But very much congratulation on the FIND.

Your Munchausen has takeb root and in a 6" pot with roots @ bottom now, Both Datura's germinated OK Metel a little slow but the Double Purple many have.
Shaun

Colleen, that's wonderful.....but I need details, girl....was that the Arborea that you dusted with the pollen from Shaun's Sanguinea?.........has the time gone that quickly?
You are the first of us to create a Flava, I think......do you have any other pods?
A very big " Well done" Colleen.

Please put me down for a few seeds too....

Your RFP has started flowering again this morning...

Jean's first double too.........how exciting this season is....

This is a Pink Panther bud, beautiful even at this stage....you can see the melon colour in there.

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Merino, Australia

Colleen, I would love a few seeds please. What a nice surprise to find an early Christmas present.
I took the first flower off my new baby yesterday. I had to sacrifice it because I wanted to get pollen in case something happened to the plant. I was able to get some and save it.
The skirt did not drop at all and looking at the father, I don think they will . Going to be exciting waiting for the next lot of flowers to see how they look. Only very short stems on the Y so as soon as it grows more, I will taking some cuttings to send out.
I need to see how he does elsewhere.
I still cant get a name to what the perfume reminds me of but it is more aurea to me than Knightii or BB.

Lucas, while I was getting the pollen , I put some on a BB flower as it is next to my new one.
I will be trying some on GHA later as his flowers open. .

After all my excitement , I went around watering yesterday and found a Y had formed on Mango Cornet, so something else to look forward to.
Jean.

just went out in the coolness and found this bright color on FROSY PINK

Thumbnail by SolMan
Merino, Australia

Lovely, Shaun. I have had a few darker pinks on my Frosty . That one looks very pretty.
Jean.

The cooler temps do wonders for the colour of some of the Brugs.
Some remain pale and others deepen.
I like them both ways don't you ?

Congratulations Colleen, that is a thrill for you, loved the brain description. ^_^

Elaine I forgot to say how happy I am that Helen grew out some of the Brugs. I am so pleased.

Off outside while there is a break in the rain.
Back later,
I hope everyone enjoys their morning.

barmera, Australia

Yes Dianne that's my Arborea X Sanguinea from Lucas's pollen. Have taken down the names of the people who want to try some and will get them off to you this week. I feel like I should register them, they are precious aren't they? Lucas will certainly save some for you. Colleen

Victoria, Australia

Great to hear of this success, Colleen. :) Yeah I'd love to grow a few out please... thanks heaps!
i will have some very fresh sanguinea seeds off my plants soonish if anyone wants...

Sorry Lucas, I meant your pollen.....there is so much going on, I'm getting confused....

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Good work Jean! Looks lovely.
Great to see this one come up. Just a quick read here as I get the chance. It is great to see the new seedlings come into bloom. I am looking forward to getting a double one day too! :)
We have a wait yet to see how they shrub up and bloom / repeat hopefully. Congratulations!
BTW, we have harvested great quantity of your poppy seed Jean.

Busy here, writing up training programs for my guys - work in mental health / intellectual disability... The programs are contextualized for folks who can't take on for whatever reason study in mainstream Hort. Is challenging... and takes lots of time.

Meanwhile we are keeping a very watchful eye on Chrissy's seedling GHA x OA. Tis a pretty one!
Which reminds me Chrissy, did you watch the Luna eclipse last night? A wonderful early morning...
Wore UV 30 just in case! :)
'Tintarella'! :)

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Sadly we couldn't see it due to heavy cloud cover Wayne.
We have just had a huge storm here. Knocked the power out.

So happy you popped in to look at Jean's new baby ...and good luck with that training program.
can't wait to see the next lot of babies and Tintarella too.

I wish something had bloomed under the blood moon, but no such luck, these cooler temps and with too much rain I am seeing some bud drop in mine now ...interesting was finding Heart Of Gold buds that contained triple skirts instead of double in the dropped lot, I should have known, seems that the multi skirted buds have a more rugged time carrying the extra weight when the buds fill with water or something. Anyway we will see some open, hopefully soon, she has a massive flush building up on her, but the buds with holes are a worry.I broke a brug with a hole in it off, to see if I could see what the critter was and sure enough it was a slug sitting in the heart of the bud having eaten out the centre.
Well that does it , sorry but snail pellets are going on ...

I just have been looking at a great old threat regarding parentage, very interesting even though it is quite old.

http://www.brugmansia.us/forums/index.php?/topic/92-parentage/

Wayne the pic of the Eclipse is amazing and I really love that 1
Chrissy that thread of the parents is a Quality thread and something to remember some people go off topic easily

Dose any 1 know if sanguinea, arborea & volcanicola can come in to the country as easily as candida???????
Shaun

This message was edited Dec 12, 2011 9:00 AM

Merino, Australia

Shaun, sanguinea is allowable, but as to the others , not if marked as such , as far as I know.
Jean.

Merino, Australia

My arborea is starting to open. Look at the tiny tendrils.
A slight touch of sunburn on the end of the pod, so I nipped the tip off the other day to allow the flower to get out.
I moved it into the shadehouse for more protection until the flower is open.
More buds showing now .
Jean.

This message was edited Dec 12, 2011 10:15 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Jean thanks for the info.
Hope that don't get beaten up by the weather and it is a successful flower for you

Cairns, Australia

Here is one for the baby's already, I put them in on the 29.11.2011 date on the back of knife, and was the only one I did not peel.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
Cairns, Australia

Here is a better picture.

Thumbnail by Gena1234
barmera, Australia

Gena get the spray bottle out and keep spraying the seed husk. It will come off. Colleen

barmera, Australia

Dianne, Jean Lucas and Shaun. seeds are on their way. I hope they're viable. I will plant the rest and see how we go. I didn't check any of them. Will check some of mine as I plant them and let you know. Colleen

that good GENA love to see seeds sprout, hope you get many more,
Colleen thank you for the seed and im sure we will do best we can with them

Thank you very much Colleen, I will watch out for mine.

Gena, great that your seeds are coming thru so quickly...I was wondering when you joined us, how much of an effect, your weather would have on seedlings.....
Now to see if the others follow.....
Chrissy had some come thru very quickly in a plastic cup with a top, just recently.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.