Hellebores are early this winter

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We got there around eleven. I didn't see you or Brenda. I bought nothing and was disappointed with the prices. It seemed like every other booth specialized in Japanese maples. There were some pretty ones. There were plants, obviously purchased from Lowes, with the Proven Winner label and jacked up prices. I was hoping to find a good selection of native species perennials and was hunting a couple of really good apple trees about five feet or more. The only fruiting plants I saw were blueberry bushes and persimmons. Oh, and there was a vendor with some peaches that were more ornamental because of the burgundy leaves.

It was a good day for goofing off because it is overcast and wet. Nothing got done in the garden. I came home and continued where I left off cooking because tonight is the first night of Passover.

Dahlonega, GA

At 11:00,I was sitting in the red pickup straight across from the main entrance . Went back to get my plant and left at 11:25. Don't know how we missed each other .I was backed in watching the entrance.

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I didn't go. I had to work most of yesterday on some business for the volunteer group at the gold museum. Maybe just as well. I have 3 boxes of new crinum bulbs to plant, and the weather is about as good today as I could wish for. digging time....

Dahlonega, GA

I got conned at the gold miners meeting again last night for election chairman for elections in August .Oh well , it's my club too .
Got home at 10:00pm and had to rush my chihuahua to emergency vet in Gainsville. He's still there , so far just 1,005 dollars.Heart problem , he's under oxygen . Weekends and sick pets suck .

Thumbnail by digger9083

Sally, we were directed to the lower lot and the big staircase going up on the side. That let us in at the back end of the covered area.

Dahlonega, GA

That's why I didn't see you . It was too cold under there to really enjoy much , but got a nice , big jasmine for a good price . They had some goodies I'd like to have taken more time to "shop"

Lula, GA

Laurel, sorry I missed you............... I was back to the office well before 11 am. I still plan on coming up in May.
Sally, so sorry about your little guy. And I hate that particular emergency vet office................ can you get puppy out and into your regular vet this morning?
Rick, hope you can make it to the Maypop RU. You will get to meet lots of avid and great gardeners, trade for something you don't have .................. and we will get to meet you!
~Brenda

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Quote from wholyhosta :
Rick, hope you can make it to the Maypop RU. You will get to meet lots of avid and great gardeners, trade for something you don't have .................. and we will get to meet you!
~Brenda

I'll try to be there.

Randy

Dahlonega, GA

Brenda , he's home and will see my vet this week . He isn't 100% and will be on heart meds forever but doing better . I feel so guilty that I was out having fun and he was home in desparate shape . I didn't have a clue he had an enlarged heart . He's been so healthy acting , no sickness at all .
Yes , Rick , by all means ,try to be there , Laurel is a great hostess and a beautiful secluded "cabin". It's a treat you'll remember . Her cooking ain't nuthing to ferget neither ! I think her D H is cute too , Steve is a mans man . Good thing I'm not fifty years younger and he had never met Laurel . LOL .All kidding aside , we have a really nice visit at their place .

Lula, GA

Glad to hear the little fellar is doing okey, Sally. Being at home helps alot! Nothing can pull our heartstrings like a sick dog unless it is a sick child.

Dahlonega, GA

Right on , Brenda . Tax time will be over soon and we can have that lunch .
Going to Oofies friday to spend the weekend .All dogs going too . She has a place for them to hang out . Can't wait to see her P P . I love that dog .
Pepper goes to the vet tomorrow morn for his long term care . He feels much better today , and even groweled at Rusty , the westie .
To bed I go for the night . Worked outside all day and my arse is dragging .

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

Back to hellebores.

Some of the hellebores have more than doubled in size this spring. In general those in their 2nd year since being planted as gallon size potted plants early in 2011.

I'm probably going to thin out the hellebores next year to promote those with colorful blooms and move to the back woods those that aren't particularly appealing, including the foetidus. In general I don't plant for foliage, but for blooms.

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I have several hellebores blooming or about to bloom. The same one that was first lastyear is also first this year, although a couple weeks later.

Thumbnail by RandyRick

You are early, Randy! I have been marveling at how long mine still look nice in recent years. I had hellebores in bloom and looking beautiful last July. Perhaps they were dried on the plant but they looked fresh.

Lula, GA

My hellebores are sending up scapes and some about to bloom...........I have too many to notice who is first, tho. Just noticed from some potted hellebores near where I past on my way to the greenhouse.
My doubles will be later...........and yes, they do look good well into June-July, Laurel. They are much appreciated!

Lula, GA

Actually, the season has been so mild that my doubles are budding up and will start blooming in a week or two.............way early for them. My singles are getting into full swing.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Mine is blooming also,,, along with daffodils budding out. I think this cold weather will slow them down..
I found out my problem with pop ups was some kind of toolbar app. it is now history..

If it ever stops raining I'll check out the hellebores. I see a single flower on one outside the kitchen window.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

bring on the rain to quiet the silent drought we have had for past year..

The amount of time we have cold weather here is brief but it can be so bitter. If we were up north where cold weather was accompanied by humidity from the Great Lakes we'd have snow. Not exactly been gardening weather.

Lula, GA

Rick.............those double crossed (smile!) hellebores seeds that I thought were not going to sprout did. I have 5 pots of them, maybe about 50 seedlings. I am excited to see what comes of them. I will pot them up and have them for Maypop RU this year if Laurel decides to put up with us again. If so, I should have a few to share!
So, I guess I would have to say patience is a virtue in getting hellebore seeds to sprout..........I crossed the doubles to each other in March 2012, collected the seed in May 2012 ...........or thereabouts, and potted them up in the shade........watered them occassionally but nothing sprouted for the rest of the year. I think they just sprouted this late January and they were a big surprise when I happened to go clear off the leaves from last Fall out of the pots. 8 months gestation!!

Brenda

We would be delighted to have folks at Maypop once again this year. That would make it our fourth annual RU. The only "if" is DD is expecting at the end of June. If all goes according to dates and the baby stays put we could get together in early June, say June 1st or the 8th? I was going to wait until April to officially throw the invitation out there but it always helps to know if folks are available.
Laurel

P.S. Please save a double crossed helebore for me.

Lula, GA

Laurel.............I will save you several! These are little guys still!

And congratulations on having a new grandbaby due in June!! How exciting!!

And thanks for offering to host Maypop RU again............ barring an early arrival of the new little one.

Dahlonega, GA

I have a wedding the 1st .

We would actually prefer the 8th but were leaving the 1st open if several people had a problem with the 8th. Does this mean I should start menu planning. lol

Dahlonega, GA

Of course . When I get back , I won't have time to root anything . I'll figger out something tho .

When are you coming home, Sally? It seems like you always have great cuttings to offer. As for food...it is always on my mind.

Sorry Rick for hijacking your thread. My helebores are just opening this year so they are definitely later than usual.

Dahlonega, GA

1st part of April , Laurel .If I jump on it , I may have some red honeysuckle rooted . Most of my stuff is woody and takes a long time to root .

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

my helebores are blooming and drenched from 8 inches of rain since Sunday,,,,,love it.

Congrats, Laurel

Lula, GA

Elaine, great news on the rain! I know you needed it!
Do you think you will be able to come north to Maypop this year?

Brenda

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Hoping so... would love to come.

Elaine

Dahlonega, GA

If you don't come , you'll miss a bunch of smiling faces .

Thanks for the congrats, Elaine. We'd love to see you again. The gathering has turned in to somewhat of a family reunion with newbies being like new babies.

Dahlonega, GA(Zone 7b)

I had hellebores in bloom from early November-2012 until May-2013. (one variety or another). Some of the smaller ones didn't survive, but a few others did. I have some in 5" pots left from last year, so will be planting them out this summer while they are semi-dormant.

Mine are still in bloom. I've got a few youngins if anyoneone wants to gently dig around the shade plants by the back door at Maypop.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.