Geonoma? Chamaedorea? or...?

victoria, Canada

Growing in rain forest, south east Chiapas, MX, at approx. 825 m elevation. Leaves used for roof thatch. The people say it has red fruits, and reddish growing tip (?). It grows in the "hills" (not in inundated, flat land). The bifid leaves and thecorrogated appearance of the blades suggest to me it is a geonoma. Apparently only G. interrupta grows in the area (Henderson et. al. 1995). Anbd this species shown here doesn't resemble G. interrupta. So I was wondering what else it could--a kind of Chamaedorea? Something else?

Thumbnail by suzanne_cook
noonamah, Australia

When palms are young and growing in a shaded place they can appear quite different to the adults. I don't have access to much information on Geonoma but from the photos I've seen Geonoma interrupta would be a good possibility. If you want to find out for definite try the IPS website (www.palmtalk.org/forum/), someone there will be able to give you an answer straight away.

victoria, Canada

OK. Thank you, noonamah:)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

not a Chamaedorea I think... Geonoma more likely.

victoria, Canada

Thanks palmbob,
Can you tell me why you think it is Geonoma? Is the red red fruit and growing tip (perhaps sheath) a characteristic of a specific Geonoma?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

leaves look typical of many Geonoma species... I don't know much about their fruits but tons of palms (GEonomas, Chamaedoreas etc.) have red fruits.

victoria, Canada

OK. Thanks, again palmbob. By the way, I enjoy reading your website. Lots there.
S

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.