Tulips in containers

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Hello Mid-At!

A few weeks ago, I planted some tulips in containers. My first time planting tulips! I put them in containers because I was afraid they wouldn't survive my rocky clay soil.

But I've read conflicting information about what to do next. Should I leave them out in the open to be rained/snowed on?

Place them in the dark in the shed until March?

Leave them outside but under the eaves/porch steps so they stay dry?

Right now, they're just out in the open. TIA!

-SS

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hi- I've been looking into this exact thing. The tulips should be fine as if they were in the ground. So let them get rained on. Of course your containers won't crack in the cold right? CHeap terra cotta will crack with freeze.
You are not trying to force them right? You just want them to bloom pretty much when they normally would? Water them and then let them get cold and stay moist so the roots will grow. You could put them in the shed if you think squirrels will dig in them.

I just planted tulips, and then soil, then a layer of anemone blanda. First time for me with anemone they look really cute and sound super easy. We'll compare notes next May!

Thanks for your response, Sally! I was confused from people in other forum reporting that they just put the pots away in the garage after potting them up.

Will the tulips be okay with the daily freeze/thaw cycles we get in late winter? That wouldn't cause them to rot, right?

I'm definitely not forcing them and the pots are pretty sturdy. I hope to post some pretty pictures in the spring!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Good point on the squirrils, Sally. Here, they are active all winter and find my containers great places to store acorns and discover tulips!

A cold shed or coldest part of garage would deter critters and avoid that freeze/thaw stuff. Most winters around here are consistently cold enough to provide the "chill" needed for tulips but I'm not sure. Best to match tulip variety to ones actual usual growing conditions out of doors in or out of ground or to artificially create or modify for the types you want.

Both of these great reference books for gardening in the DC are Mid-Atlantic give specifics on tulips for us and other bulbs. A copy of this would be a great "stocking stuffer" Sally do you have one? Mine is boxed up for now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Washington-Star-Garden-Book-33rd-yr-PB-/350407375167
"http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Post-Garden-Book-Mid-Atlantic/dp/0962597155

This is the one I like best just doesn't cover the new varieties developed since written
http://www.amazon.com/Washington-Post-Garden-Book-Mid-Atlantic/dp/0962597155

I don't have either of those books. I've been looking online and had two other bulb books (both from TImber Press). All I can find seems to say it's pretty much as foolproof as planting in ground.

Can be back later with book names. I got them as weeded out, underappreciated library books so neither is very recent. But they are both in Bookworm with TImber Press as the publisher.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

ssgardener, not to worry!

1) almost all and any bulbs we can buy will bloom their first year
2) your choice to plant in containers instead of rocky clay is right on ( bulbs need good drainage)
3) very little difference between leaving containers out or putting in garage (protect from critters)
4) tulips need about 3mos of cool darkness to initiate blooming cycle
5) planting time for tulips in DC area is late Oct to mid Dec
6) frost heave in containers can be treated in same way as in soil..with mulch.

What colors did you choose? If your containers are tall enough you could add crocus above yours, too.
Whay other bulbs have you tried?

Sally, Timberpress does some good books. Ive scored some good books on the library discard list over the years, too. Nice work perk!

Hi Coleup!

Oh, I didn't realize mulch was the way to treat frost heave. Now I know! Thank you for all the detailed info.

I got a small package of a purple/white combo tulips, which looked gorgeous on the package! I forgot the name already, as I've been terrible about labeling plants.

I did plant some crocus and muscari bulbs in the ground. These bulbs are small enough that I can fit them in already-amended beds. I tried planting the muscari in a new area, and I think it took me 1 or 2 hours to dig and amend it. It was exhausting and maddening. I still have allium bulbs to plant in a partially amended area, but I'm dreading the digging! I know I absolutely have to get them in this weekend.

This is my first time ever planting bulbs so I'm really nervous!

ss= did you get tulips at Lowes? I bet we got the same thing. Gavota
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55650/

Crocus and muscari seem foolproof to me.

Next year i wll use this tip (since I have a ton of grape hyacinth in the yard) Stick a couple grape hyacinth with any other bulbs. The grape hyacinth foliage is out now and will remind you where all the other bulbs are planted.

Sally, I looked it up, and it seems I got some purple and white Triumph tulips.

Next year, I hope to plant some crocus bulbs in my lawn!

You know critterologist has done that- crocus. (thumbs up!)

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric planted some in our yard too. Have to put in a good many (like Critter did) to get much of an impact.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.