IS this a Giant Southern White

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I found this flying around and am wondering if it is a Giant Southern White butterfly a bit off color. Any suggestions.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Looks a bit small for a So White. That said I have no clue. With the strange weather patterns we have had all over the US this year, could be most everything.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

Edinburg, TX

Definitely a bit dark in color and lacking the black wing markings that resemble zigzags. It somewhat looks like a female Great Southern White but not sure you get them there?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

It looks like it has the turquoise antenna knobs you see on a Great Southern White, although I too, am unsure if you get them up there or if there's a similar species in your area.

Melanie

Could it have hopped a ride on the flowers?

Red Oak, TX

Not sure how I missed this posting all those months ago, but yes, this is a female Great Southern White (Ascia monuste phileta), the subspecies found in Florida which strays northward. This subspecies is quite variable and can produce some really dark individuals. As Mellielong points out, the antenna knob coloring is diagnostic. I know they've been found in the D.C. and Maryland area -- not sure about Pennsylvania. Always a possibility that it escaped from a live exhibit, as they are pretty much a "staple" of the butterfly farming business in Florida (and Texas, when I can get them).

Dale Clark
Dallas County Lepidopterists' Society
www.dallasbutterflies.com

Edinburg, TX

Yeaaaa...my musings were correct! Dale, glad you ID'd it. With work keeping me so busy I am so out of butterflying and can't remember what I don't normally see out here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.