SUGGESTIONS FOR FRAGRANT UPRIGHT SHRUBS

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Friend e-mailed me with this request. This is for property line disguise. My first thoughts--night blooming jasmine-duranta (golden dew drop) jatropha--lorapetalum.
ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPREICATED.

Bonnie

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

orange jasmine for sure.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragrans) for sure! They are evergreen and can grow into small trees under the right conditions. Normally you can expect them to get 7 - 8 feet. They are very hardy, drought tolerant and have the most wonderful scent. They typically bloom in the winter, but any time of year wet, cooler weather will bring on a flush of blooms. Look around at some mom and pop nurseries or flea markets for the best deals. Big box stores charge too much. I just bought a large, gorgeous one the other day for $13.00. It's almost 5 feet tall and very full, but it was pot bound and I think they just wanted to get rid of it. The same shrub at Home Depot or Lowes would run at least $45; more if they had it in a larger pot.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks for your suggestions. Didn't know orange jasmine grew upright. I got 2 from Apopka John and planted them near fence as I thought they were vines. Thank you for info.
Norma that tea olive sounds good. I will pass all this info along.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 8b)

In my experience, tea olives are a great choice - I love the scent, one of the few strong floral perfumes I never find overbearing. But you should mention to your friend that they need to be pruned to shape them if they are used as a screen. Left alone, they tend to grow up instead of out, and the leaves on the lower branches can become quite sparse.

-Rich

Marathon, FL(Zone 11)

I'm going to second the Orange Jasmime (Murraya paniculata) suggestion. If you keep them pruned hard from the time they are young, they will make a beautiful hedge and the fragrance is heavenly. Night blooming jasmine for a hedge would do me in. It's just way too strong and can give you headaches and dizziness. It is one potent plant as a single bush....., as a hedge, I can't imagine, too over powering. Duranta, no fragrance and it's too gangly and messy. I have had so many Golden Dew Drops over the years and I always end up taking them out and giving them away. They just really want to be a vine, at least down here that is the case. I had a white one that I loved and it was more manageable but it died after Hurricane Wilma.

I don't know if Silver Buttonwood will grow in your area, but they make a dense, beautiful hedge. No flower or fragance but they are so pretty on a moonlit night. They almost appear to have snow on them and they sure are easy to grow. The can take a lot of neglect.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Island,
I know what you mean about nite blooming jasmine. Have 2 in front yard garden and thats enough.
I'm hoping my little orange jasmine make it into large shrub. Got lots of Duranta but there not much for privacy.
I'll look up Siver Buttonwood. Tea Olive sounds great so I may buy one for me just to enjoy.
Thanks much to all for your help.

Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.