Queen palm 'leaning'

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I planted a fairly large Queen a few years ago and it has gone from about 6 inches of trunk to about 3 feet of trunk since then, all the while having a very sparse crown.

The trunk is perfectly straight, but the crown 'leans' at about a 15% angle toward the south. I originally thought this was because it only had a few leaves and they were all on the same side of the plant, but as it has grown more leaves, it has become more pronounced. The palm is not showing any signs of stress, or nutrient deficiency (no frizzle top etc).. Any ideas what might be causing this? I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Picture as promised.

Thumbnail by GreenEyedGuru
noonamah, Australia

Maybe too shaded on one side and it's growing towards the stronger light.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It's not really shaded at all, there are no taller trees anywhere near it that could block any sun except a pine about 40 feet to the southeast.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I expect it will straighten, though possibly retain a slight curve in the trunk

noonamah, Australia

Can only guess really, without seeing it close up. Perhaps a bug of some sort got in and damaged one side slowing, or stopping, its growth for a while. With the other side still growing you'd get a bend like that. Just another guess, but as it grows up any damage would become apparent as the leaf sheaths fell away.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.