Where do you turn for weather information?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 146 votes:

The internet. (favorite sites?)
(70 votes, 47%)
Red dot

Local television.
(40 votes, 27%)
Red dot

The Weather Channel
(17 votes, 11%)
Red dot

Farmer's Almanac
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Newspaper (local or national?)
(0 votes, 0%)
Red dot

Radio (local station or weather band?)
(1 votes, 0%)
Red dot

My aching joints.
(3 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Other. (tell us!)
(15 votes, 10%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

My home page is iGoogle and I have a weather app top left corner that I check daily - for me, my kids, and my sister. Kind of fun to see the differences, and also get a notion of what to plan for the day.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

A combination of sources, I figure if there is a consensus, they can't be wrong....but then again we're talking about the weather

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Other - both internet and local radio

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Weather Bug both on my computer and smartphone. The Weather Channel used to be great but now it is full of commercials and 'stories' and rarely has actual WEATHER information.

We use the Weather Bug like that it gives warnings. My DH also uses a radar tracking site that he likes because he can see exactly where a storm is and if it will impact us.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I find my weather rock to be the most accurate, ignore the rest most of the time.

brainerd, MN(Zone 4a)

I "feel" it coming...I hate it.
I do watch the TV every night for weather...not that I listen, but its on anyway.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Weather.com

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Local TV stations. Not always accurate but at least I can plan ahead just in case.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Wunderground although I don't care for their new format. I've find them to be closest to our actual weather.

And when needed, Up close and personal, updated, animated radar!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

podster, I've heard good things about Wunderground.

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Weather Channel desktop

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

If I'm at work or otherwise away from home, I use the weather channel website (www.weather.com) as my goto site for most weather related info. During hurricane season (a big issue here on the Atlantic coast), I check www.wunderground.com for hurricane related info because I like their assortment of hurricane maps best. I also consult the Weather Channel site and NOAA for additional hurricane info on occassion. During pollen season, I consult www.pollen.com for that info and cross-check it with www.weather.com as the two do not always agree.

If I'm on my MacBook Pro, I use a favorite dashboard app, without which I feel almost naked elsewhere. With a wave of my mouse over a particular corner of the desktop, it will overlay a small, semi-transparent weather app over one corner of my desktop. I really like this particular weather app because (1) I can check it quickly w/o disturbing my work and (2) it shows my local weather graphically. When activated, it overlays a rougly 2in square on my screen showing one of: a shining sun, puffy clouds, clouds with rain coming down (even differintiating between drizzle vs normal vs downpour), clouds with snow coming down, ice crystals coming down, etc, etc. At night it shows a clear moon, clouds in a dark sky and so on. It also shows the numerical temp. This app has the best graphics I've seen so far and is super handy. A wave of the mouse puts in on the screen. The opposite move makes it go away again. It gets its data via the internet, and I've found it to be extremely accurate. By that I mean, if it shows drizzle, I can look out the window and expect to see drizzle at that moment. When the drizzle stops or increases to heavy rain, the graphic will change in real time. Very cool. Sorry, if you are running Windows, you can't use it. :-)

Now that I have Satellite TV, I can't get my local weather info via The Weather Channel (TV), but that's ok, since the internet version is much handier anyhow. As for checking with my aching bones, mine don't seem to indicate weather very well, or at least I've not learned to read them; however, I actually get fairly reliable weather info from my sinuses which act up quite painfully anytime there is a storm down around Florida and heading this way and for certain other weather events, each with its own particular signature.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

NOAA site.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Wunderground because I can see local weather stations that are closer to my house that the official one. And I love the customizable graphs.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, forgot to mention...As I mentioned above, my sinuses tell me - in the form of pain - when there is a topical storm of any kind anywhere in or around Florida, especially if prevailing winds and weather pattern will be pushing the storm in this direction. Therefore, if any of you Floridians need to double check your tropical storm conditions, you can give me a shout. Sorry, I don't offer charts, graphs, or other graphics at this time. ;-)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

This is stupid but you know on the TVGuide Channel where the little sun, rain cloud or other weather icon shows over each day at the beginning of the channel guide? Yup, mostly that:lol: I don't pay too close attention but always seem to manage to catch a snippet of info most days. I only really "tune in" when there are severe weather or snow/ice storms predicted. The local weather people are such drama queens about everything--guess it's there time to shine in the spotlight with bad weather reports but so annoying!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I just walk outside and look around. Than decided want to do for the day. Stay inside or take a walk on the beach.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

The internet ....I personalized this site to my location and it pulls up quickly for me. http://www.wfaa.com/weather/radars

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I use 4 different places on the internet; Weather Underground keeps track of the weather in 5 key/family cities as well as mine and gives a detailed report for weather changes throughout the day., WeatherBug's Weather WIndow is the most accurate for my area and then I use 2 different ones that are strictly for Korea - and one from the meteorological society that will 'alert' when there is dangerous weather ☺

All of these pages disagree with one another as to what they have prognosticated for the day...it is worth a laugh to compare them when 'the unexpected' happens!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Internet: local news station, accuweather, & NWS. I compare. Sometimes, I just go outside. LOL

Greensboro, AL

Accuweather.com

There is a by-the-hour breakdown for your zip code. There are also links to National Weather reports. During the Tuscaloosa tornadoes I was watching the account of touch downs in my area -- to see if I needed to take cover under the bed with my dogs!

This message was edited Nov 10, 2011 7:55 AM

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I just signed up on Wunderground.com and found that someone two blocks from me is also registered and sharing the weather conditions on the site. Can't get more accurate than that!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

At least with the Internet you can get instant report. TV you have to wait for all the other junk before you can get the weather report. Funny though how our local news has such a difference between the Weather channel predictions...it usually is somewhere in between...so I check both. Going to go look at the Accuweather.com posted above.
Oh I like that one...now a new weather report to look at...good thing I checked they all say we're going down into upper 40's tonight...the coldest yet this year.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

First is the window. Seeing sunny skies is a day brightener for me - not so much with rain.

Otherwise I like Wunderground and find them more accurate due to the location of the reporting station being just five miles away. Weatherbug has our location and weather being reported from 30 miles away and it's definitely colder there. In October they were missing two days of the week for over a week!

I'm constantly amazed that TV weather people on New York City stations (not TWC) can be so consistently wrong and yet get $250,000. a year. If they were employed in other fields and were so wrong, so often, they wouldn't have a job.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i turn to WeatherForYou.com every morning online and also listen to my local five o'clock news...between the two i am well-prepared.
i agree that the weather channel used to be a great source but now it's all twitter and weather stories from past events....and more importantly, they aren't right very often anymore.
even with the newest technology, weather is still most often a day by day surprise.

McKinney, TX(Zone 8a)

Wunderground.com - has the best local and the many online personal weather stations in your vicinity. Best maps and links for all types of weather information.

I agree with an earlier poster - the new format is not to my liking, so I still use the classic version.

http://classic.wunderground.com/

For $5 a year, you get a registered version without the ads..............

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Chuck, that's good to know about the difference if you pay..
Barb

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I look out the window.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well living in Las Vegas I do not know why we have Weathermen. Yes it is going to hot. Yes, it is going to sunny. Yes, it is going to windy. I am with Marti and Pirl, I look outside.

I do watch the weather channel if something big is going on in the NE or NW. Sharon

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I still like the Weather Channel best, they do local weather on the 8s, and I can make as good a prediction as the local yokels as to what the day will bring.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7b)

Intellicast and my weather gadget

Omaha, NE(Zone 5b)

WeatherBug, for about 6 or 7 years now.

rosetta TASMANIA, Australia

Im p-d off,we had the weatherman come to a garden club meeting to talk about climate change.He said this summer will all be coming from the west-very hot,,.!great,!-exactly what lilium blooms need, for a show, that is 1 week late this year anyway,.,.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

One step outside will do it for me. Or if it's nasty a look out the window works.

College Park, GA(Zone 7b)

First thing I do once the computer is on. I go to the internet local paper (Atlanta Journal Const.) for the weather.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.