Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Mme Julia Correvon

Thumbnail by bananna18
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Nelly Moser

Thumbnail by bananna18
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

So nice to see!

I've had Duchess of Albany for five years but this year she was at her best. Last year I layered it in April and even the new one bloomed this year.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I hope I can do that with some of mine next year. Do you intend to dig up the layered one for another area?

Yes. I want to put the Duchess with Liberation but have to check the amount of space I have for it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone, Here is a picture of fist blooms on another of my Henryii. This on was planted Aug. 8th and pinched 2 x. I also notice the blooms held up to two heavy frosts that cause late blooming of v.Vilacae and "firefly" to drop their petals. Stay warm! Lee Sherwood McDonald

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Isn't it just grand to have those surprise November blooms, Lee? I love it but I've always loved Henryi.

Your bench is gorgeous!

San Antonio, TX

This is beautiful!!! I planted this in October here in San Antonio. I had ordered the plants(my first 4 clematis and first time to order plants by mail) from Wayside Gardens. They were really expensive and 2 of the 4 looked half dead-one of those being the Lady Diana. It doesn't look like it has grown at all. The top above the soil is a few dried twigs with a few dead leaves. I don't know if it is dead and I should pull it or leave it alone until spring. How long did it take for yours to look like this? Where did you buy your plant? Is it planted in west sun? Do I need to cover all these new clematis if it gets below 32? Lots of questions I know-but I am really new to all of this and don't know much. Thanks.

We'll need a photo, cwg, and then we can help you.

Wayside isn't my choice for clematises. See the reviews on Garden Watchdog.
http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/c/7/

The page indicates they have a guarantee so you might want to speak to their customer service department. They have a time limit for complaints and getting fresh, new, healthy plants.

I've purchased online from Brushwood and Garden Crossings and love their plants. Here's an example of what I've received (never twigs!) for $14.95 each.

Thumbnail by pirl
San Antonio, TX

Pirl...Those are amazing! They look like full grown plants. I have tried to buy from Brushwood-but it seemed like every item I chose was out of stock-in all fairness this was at the end of September. I will try to be the early-bird in 2012.
I will take a picture of my half-dead miniscule Diana, but it may be a few more days until I can put it here. I don't know how to upload it. I could take a pic on my iphone and send it to you if you have a similar phone.

I believe Brushwood began their 2011 ordering last December or early January 2011.

See if you still have time to complain and at least get a credit voucher from Wayside if the roots are not to your liking.

I don't even have a cell phone! Here's a link to the Test thread for learning to post a photo:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/test/all/

Here's a sample of Garden Crossings clematises ($9.95 each during their August sale): all are in 5" pots with great roots.

This message was edited Nov 18, 2011 2:43 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
San Antonio, TX

Pirl
You are an encyclopedia of fabulous info. You need to write a book!!! Thanks for the upload info.

Thanks, cwg. Maybe when I get done with my eternal to-do list I'll write the first paragraph. Ha ha ha. Pictured is a recent list but now a new one exists.

I would not accept what Wayside sent you. There is no excuse for plants that are off to a poor start.

Thumbnail by pirl
Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hello everyone, Pirl, I recall both of my" Duchess of Albany" plants taking about 5 years to really become established. Since "Duchess" is the only Texensis type I currently own,what are you that grow other members of the Texensis group about the time needed to establish nice plants. We just came back from Fla. from a family thanksgiving celebration, everyone made it to Port St. Lucy and we had a wonderful time! I talked to a few gardeners and there wasn't much enthusiasm for Clematis. We went to the new Botanical Garden at P.S.L. and I saw a few 2 y.o. plants they looked o.k. So, bannana person, tell me a little about which grow well in Fla. and them who do not! I hope everyone enjoys the upcoming seasons and festivities. Lee Sherwood McDonald

This is another pic. of "Blue Angel" planted this June. L.

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebration in sunny Florida, Lee.

Duchess of Albany did take a few years to get moving here. I don't have any others from the texensis group.

I finally got Guernsey Cream planted with Proteus on the right and Belle of Woking (cheapo from Walmart) planted. There were lilies that had to be moved and dahlias elsewhere that had to be lifted to make room for the lilies.

Here's the trio and Jackmanii is at the rear with the compost bins behind it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Pirl those look like cute little markers!
My DA was planted in 09 at the same time as Princess Di. There is a huge difference in their growth and bloom....the duchess has yet to show me a flower and the vine is under 2 feet. Well to be fair, they are planted in different areas......It would be an interesting experiment to switch their places, but I am not up to that.

Thanks. I write the names on beach stones and don't face getting cut by metal markers or having feet smash the metal signs.

I totally forgot that I do have Princess Diana (from Koi) and she did exceptionally well. She was quicker to bloom than the Duchess of Albany by far. I've had the Duchess since '06 and this year was the first big show for it.

Princess Diana:

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

I have a Texensis (sp?) http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=738 and it flowered the first or second year, but never flowered after that. I don't think it is getting enough sun, so I am seriously thinking of moving it. I love the red puffy flowers on this one.

I also have Dutchess of Albany. She did take a good 4 or 5 years to establish.

This message was edited Dec 6, 2011 9:38 AM

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Mine grows through a Tardiva hydrangea and I also felt it wasn't getting enough sun but it bloomed beautifully so I guess it just really needed the extra time to bloom.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hello Everyone, I guess all the Texensis plants mentioned here are reluctant to settle, I note that the Specie looking one Carolynn has, flowered somewhat early on then had a snit!! The Princess D. seems to be the most sucsesfull of the types mentioned. I suspect the group as a whole may need a lot of sun to do their best. "God Bless Texas" It has been sunny any time I have been down there!! Well, I will not see the list from the North American Rock Garden society till the 15th of Dec but, I will probably be able to order seed for Sp. Texensis and a few others and I am in the mood to foll with em for a few years! If I don't kill them immediately! I have a number of wonderful plats from NARGS, not growing a few new primroses from them would take a lot of fun and frustration out of my gardening year. Again, I wish you all a loving and cherful Holiday season. Wife and I are off to LA. next Wednesday to spend our Christmas with our middle son John. Be back in early Jan. Lee Sherwood McDonald p.s. I dont know what this Clematis is, do any of you? L.

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP

Have a wonderful Christmas, Lee.

I'm thinking your clematis could be Reiman. The central bar looks very similar. What's the date on your photo?

Thumbnail by pirl
Athens, PA

Lee

Have a great Christmas!

Carolyn

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Tell me more about the sp.Texensis seed. I am looking for some.

Big Flats, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi Banana 18 and everyone,

I have seen Texensis seed offered by;

http://www.bcollingwood.com/species.htm
http://homepages.vvm.com/www.vvm.com/~reid
http://www.senplant.com/clematis/clematis-texensis/index.html

I have no experience with them but, " A coward dies a thousand deaths !!"

The source I will be using is the NARGS the national rock gardening society organization anp noted publishers of a quarterly. Google them for information on joining.

All our love, Lee Sherwood and Roberta McDonald

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Maybe I am not reading those sites properly, but the first and last are info sites, not vendors and the middle one was not found. I will look into NARGS. Thanks!

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

How enjoyable seeing these late blooms. Here's one of two today on Elsa Spaeth, and the plant is still loaded with buds, more than she's ever had and usually only blooms around Mother's Day. This is my only Clematis and she's going on 3 years old. We've had numerous heavy frosts and am just amazed. I've collected the seeds you see just behind the bloom and probably have enough to split two or three times. Would any of you here like to try them? *freebies*

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

So pretty. Blooms late in the year are so delightful. It's almost like a big thank you from the plants.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes..so lovely!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.