November Photos and Chit Chat

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

Jamie,
Your plants are just gorgeous! ^_^

Lynn

Columbus, OH

What kind of containers are those, Jamie?

Montgomery, AL

From Lee Valley Tools. They are designed to be placed on a wicking mat over a resevoir.

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Okay, let me add my two cents here... LOL

All I use for sowing are the cheapest, stackable plastic containers that I can finnd. As a medium, I usually use 1:1 Perlite/Vermiculite that I make wet, squeeze out the excess and fluff it back up.

The containers don't even have to have clear lids. The light that gets through the sides of the containers is sufficient for the initial stage, so stacking the containers is no problem.

For cuttings, I use regular, cheap greenhouse flats that I fill with a real moist Perlite/Vermiculite/SoilMoist crystals-mix. Then I use small pots with my regular, barely damp seed sowing mix for the cuttings and plunge them into the flat.

For both: Bottom warmth is always a good idea but if you place the trays under lights, the heat from the lights is usually enough. To put it in my grandmother's words "Wouldn't you prefer to have warm feet?" LOL

I usually use the bottom tier of my shelf to place seedlings and cuttings as the temperatures don't get too crazy but stay warm enough for everybody.

Olaf

Columbus, OH

I have clear plastic oval containers that I used in my biz, that I now use for starting seeds, I'll probably use those, then. They're clear, but I have them already. I have some smaller mats that I got at a tag sale, I will probably plop all of these containers on one mat and see what happens. I'm so excited!

I also have seed pods ripening on a couple of streps that I will sow when they're ready. I'm interested to see how Monarch's Journey and Silvia cross seedlings will look.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Quick question about seeds. how do you order them from Mauro? I went to his website, but there are no prices for the seeds. How does it work. Do you have to belong to a club in order to buy seeds? There are no gessie or african violet clubs near me. The closet one is in Orlando, and that's close to a 2 hour drive.
Thanks
Eileen

Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Angora Love'. A difficult one for me. Needs pretty low light and high humidity to survive. Easy to prop by cuttings but doesn't seem to be long lived.

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL(Zone 6a)

Sinningia 'Angora Love'. One more time... :)

Thumbnail by bsimpson1972
Montgomery, AL

I joined Brazil Plants on the yahoo site. I submitted a request to join and Lee Stradley emailed me with information. I choose the cheapest membership which is $60, that gives you 6 packs of seeds three times during the year. You can buy additional seed packs beyond that too, for a nominal fee. Mauro has a list on the Yahoo site for the seeds currently available. In the files section there is information on membership, etc.... I mailed the check to Lee and she combines them for a paypal payment to Mauro. That is my understanding and experience.
Jamie

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Jamie, thanks for the info. Right now, with the holidays coming, it's out of question. Hopefully after the new year I'll be able to check it out and join. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.