November chat thread-it's almost "turkey time"!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1226106/#new

Join us here on our November thread with your daily happenings!

I'll start out by asking how everyone plans to spend Thanksgiving this year. My DD's family will be celebrating together on the Friday after Thanksgiving, which is the traditional time for them. It gives the adult kids time to spend with the other side of their family on Thursday. This year we voted to have prime rib--everyone will chip in to defray the cost. Of course, there will be all the veggies, salads and desserts, too, which everyone will bring! I'm drooling already!!!

Thumbnail by marsue
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Marilyn, thanks for starting a new thread before November is half gone, lol!

We will also be celebrating Thanksgiving on Friday this year. My DD has to work on Thursday...being one of the newest in the ER she doesn't have much bargaining power, plus with her schedule she IS off Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so she is not about to complain! Our sons and their wives can spend the day with their wives families this year on Thursday this way, so it will work out fine I think. We will also celebrate my grand-daughter's birthday on the weekend (her real birthday is on Wednesday), but since she is 12 we'll probably do a dinner out or something with family on Saturday night. Suits me...I won't have to cook!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Wow....thanksgiving! Can't believe it is almost here! I don't have a clue what we will be doing...... but I am sure there will be food involved at some point, and my sister and Jessica are already planning to go shopping the friday afterward!

The plan was to have Alex's house finished so we could spend the night up there the night before..and not have to get up so early, but I am not sure that will happen! ha!

can't believe that the holidays will soon be here....seems like I just got the decorations put back in the attic.......

Headed out to the last night of Eternity House....they are saying we have a 90% chance of rain tonight....we REALLY need the rain, but we have one outside scene so I hope it holds off for a few hours so they can get most of the people thru before the rain..... then it can pour the rest of the night! :) Doesn't look like rain at all at the moment - and it hit 80 degrees this afternoon!!!

Genna

This message was edited Nov 2, 2011 4:30 PM

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving at my house this year, with my son & my daughter & her boyfriend and I will be seeing to it that my Stepson & Laura and Korrin get to come here & eat with us as well. it will be the first time Grampa and grandbaby will meet! Sad I know, but hopefully it will turn into something we can call a lasting relationship for all of us. I see him quite often and he's aprecious little boy!

then the next day Danny will be heading out to deer camp for 9 days, and I hope to spend the weekends there but not sure, I may have to work. We'll see how it goes.

Ripley, MS

We are planning the usual-using our fellowship hall for the Mills side. Kathy Ann, I can't believe Danny has not seen the baby yet, I hope it all works out for you.
I told Jerry's. 3 sisters that I would do the dressing and green beans, but felt that was all I could handle this time.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann I'm proud of you for getting everyone together! Sometimes you just have to step out and do what you know needs to be done! I did that one time in a situation with DH family long time ago and it bought everyone together and made life so much better!!!

Our Thanksgiving day will be quiet. We will be doing our celebrating sometime during the weekend as we will also be celebrating Sarah's 8th birthday - DH granddaughter.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra.... How on earth are you going to be able to do the dressing? I hope you don't overdo with that arm!!

Alex's bday is on Thanksgiving Day this year, so we will have to incorporate that into the celebration as well......

KA - can't believe that Danny hasn't seen the baby. I guess I just assumed that since the kids lived with ya'll (or in the shop) for so long that he was fairly close to them. ..... hope this works on getting the family together ...those babies have a way of wrapping everyone around their finger !! Sounds like ya'll will be having a wonderful big family get together! I love those!

Had a huge night at Eternity House last night..... over 350 people came thru! We had a total of 1335 for the 5 days and 155 salvations! Hundreds of rededications..... NOW, if those new Christians can just get plugged in to a good church or followup program so that their lives can truly be changed. So many are teenagers or young kids who need a support group to fall back on. It was an exhausting 5 days - but so worth it! And, although it rained briefly, it kept missing the times that the scene was outside.... then it did rain a little last night when it was over , but not very much. We are still way short on rainfall!

Football game tonight.... not sure why but the last regular season game in our conference is always on Thursday night - looks like it is going to be a chilly evening!
Have a great day everyone!!
Genna

Ripley, MS

Wonderful news on the Eternity house, Genna I have not been a help to put them on, but have been through them and I know it is a huge effort to do them.
I will have to make right handed dressing-lol-I will make bread and crumble it and freeze it. Cook the chicken and freeze it, then put it all together the day before. I will put the onions and green peppers in the blender. It will be a process.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Great news on the E-house, Genna! So worth the effort, indeed!!

Kathy Ann, I sure hope, like everyone else, that it all works out for your (Danny's) family to come together and be reconciled. Hopefully, once Danny sees the baby he will be "hooked" as a grampa!

Sounds like everyone has nice plans for Thanksgiving. It will be here before we know it!

It turned cold here last night. We did have some rain but not much. It is about 25 degrees cooler today than it was yesterday. Brrrrrr! I'm ready for Spring, already! LOL

Hey, I just realized it's Crissy's birthday today, so Crissy if you're lurking around here, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I wished her a Happy Birthday on FB but will do the same here! Happy Birthday Christine.

About to get ready to go to a Grandparents Day program at Sarah's school. We've got to leave here at 8:15.
Hope everybody has a good day!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Hey Crissy!!! Happy Birthday!!! Sorry to be soo late!!! I hope your enjoyed yourself and was pampered for your special day!!!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I wished Crissy a Happy Birthday on FB, too, but I'll do it here even though it will be late. I hope you had a very Happy Birthday, Christine! Hugs!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

It was really cold at the game last night too and the wind was even colder!! :)

Charlotte, hope you have fun at Grandparent's day! Sounds like a fun day!

Jessica was excited because they have a field trip to Old Washington this morning and so she doesn't have to go to class! Will probably nap on the bus on the way there! :) Then Monday she will have to miss school as well - she is a semi finalist (one of 9 in the state) in a contest called the US Youth Senate Program. The 9 semi-finalists are competing for 2 slots for a trip to Washington, DC next March to spend a week in the US Senate, and also a $ 5,000. scholarship! She also had a to take a big test on civics and current events...... she said it was KILLER hard.... like "which one of these Presidents did not graduate from Yale"..... I thought it would be more like "who was serving as President when we got involved in WWI? I was WAY off..... thought it would be about how long the terms were , the branches of congress etc. She also had to write an essay. On Monday they will all go thru interviews, and they are also having a luncheon. Their letter doesn't state if they will announce the winners and alternates at that time, or if it will be at a later date....?? So, I guess we will find out then! ^_^ I guess when she does go back to class, she will be inundated with homework!

It is pretty cool and overcast here today- but no rain in the forecast.... not ready for dreary cold days!! But I am ready for that extra hour of sleep!! :)

Genna

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Congrats to Jessie, Genna! It's an honor to be one of the 9 semi-finalists but I hope she gets to be one of the two who are chosen!! That would be sooooo exciting for her--and the rest of the family!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We have our excited and hopeful,.... that scholarship would sure be a nice start! We are anxiously awaiting ACT scores - should be here any day. She has a 30 but needs a 32 to get a free ride to OBU - and she thinks she did great on this last test.... I sure hope she is right!

Headed to LR to work at Alex's,.... ya'll have a great day!
Genna

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Congrats to Jessie!!! That is quiet an honor!!! I know how proud Yall are!!!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

Congratulations to Jessie! Know y'all are proud.

But I've got to get in my 'Roll Tide Roll' here!! It's going to be a great game. T'town is expecting over 200,000 according to my friend who lives there. The stadium seats a little over 101,000. Tickets are outrageous and have been for the whole season, but it will be sold out! I'm excited and nervous. Some say it the game can't possibly live up to the hype but who knows...it will be good no matter what. Big plays, big players, and two great teams on a beautiful fall day.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

NOOOOO!!! GEAUX LSU!!!!

Here we go....almost kick-off. ROLLLLLL TIDE ROLL!!!!! Go Bama!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna, congratulations to Jessie!!! I know you are proud of her.

I've spend the whole day at an auction and loved it!!! Bought tons of stuff! Now to get it all priced and sold!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

We did that last Saturday.... NEEDED to be home doing laundry, cleaning house and working in the yard, but we went to a local estate sale and really enjoyed the day! Bought several little goodies but nothing major.... still it was nice just to get out and mingle and have fun bidding! :)

Thanks everyone.... I am a little nervous about her doing this interview - especially if the questions are odd things like was on part of the test, but I suspect these questions will be more down to earth...at least I hope so! I guess if they are too off the wall, no one will get them! :) She had waited all day for the mail lady to come hoping she would have her ACT scores..... then when she finally came there was no ACT results! Guess we wait til Monday now! ....

Just got in from working at Alex's all day.... I swear if moved any slower somedays we would be going backward! But I guess we need to be thankful for small steps!

Anyone around the LR area know anyone who does sheetrock work? I am still trying to decide whether I am going to attempt to do the sheetrock work in his bathroom we had to gut - or hire someone else to do it.

Have a good night everyone! I am going to bed and hope that I can sleep long enough in the morning to get my extra hour !! ^_^ Been waiting on it since last Spring!

Genna

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Is it possible to post pics to. DG. using your I phone? I left my card reader at camp, I will have to wIt till Danny goes back to be able to post pics to dg. I need to buy one for the house. We moved my sewing room back to the bedroom this weekend. , finally got if set up. Danny sAid I should organize my stuff before I bring it into the room. I said what are you talking about? It is all organized. He said "0h". Lol. Btw. I typed all this on my I phone so I'm not responsible for errors. Rofl!

Ripley, MS

I don't think so, have to transfer to the pc first, but new things happen every day, did you google it?

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I haven't figured out a way yet! I also have to transfer it to my laptop. There is a app that allows you to transfer to your laptop wireless.

Ripley, MS

What is the app, Charlotte? I have been messing with the voice over settings today, I got it working, but could not get it to read to me.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I've seen several apps like that, they all cost, haven't found any free ones . I wish there was a daves
garden app lol, would make it alot easier navigate on this site from my phone.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The one I have is Photo Transfer app. That's the name. If I paid something for it, it would have been very little because I never pay more than1.99 or so and only a few times have I done that. It didn't show whether it was free or a charge when I went to it through the apps store - just said installed. I can also upload something from my computer to my phone wirelessly. It says it works with ipad, etc.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I found that app on my Iphone's app store. It is $2.99 but there are a LOT of other photo-managing apps on the list, too. It says you "pay only ONCE to install this app on your Iphone and Ipad as long as the same Itunes account is used on both devices."
The Photo Transfer app has a five-star rating with 182 ratings so it must be a good one!

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

so it's not a once a month fee . That's worth it to me. I saw that app too marilyn, saw that it was 2.99 I thought those were monthly fees. but I'm still learning the I phone lol

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

There are very few that have monthly fees. They are just one time fees and I don't mind paying less than $5 for sometime I might use. The only one I pay a monthly fee for is the att navigation and it is paid on my iphone monthly bill. The app I have you can transfer photos back and forth between your iphone, computer and ipad. Tonight I uploaded a photo I had on my computer to my iphone. When you start the app to make a transfer it gives you an address to put in your address bar on your computer and then you follow directions from there. The photo I transfered was one my son had posted in his FB pictures. I had downloaded it to my computer and then I decided I also wanted it on my iphone so I just transfered it again.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That's pretty cool app to have.

Ripley, MS

I wonder if iCloud is going to do that eventually too, now it is just for the iOS operating system

Saraland, AL(Zone 8b)

Decided to plant a few more trees and shrubs this week.

Just picked up:
Witch hazel (hamamelis virginiana)
Alabama azalea (rhododendron alabamense)
Smooth sumac (rhus glabra)
Franklin tree (franklinia alamahata)

Ripley, MS

I finally got the new Munsons heeled in for the winter, I only had 3 left with the name intact as the rubber bands had dry rotted, oh well I will just have to try to I'd them as they bloom. Jerry dug a slight trench at the edge of a bed for me and helped get them in it.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sandra.... how is your arm doing? Hope it is improving every day!

I really need to get a few more apps on my phone..... all I have so far are the facebook app, a flashlight app and the myfitnesspal app. I just started using the myfitnesspal last week but I really love it...and I can also update my info from the computer as well. When I first got my phone I was supposed to have the 15 dollar data plan, come to find out I have had the 25 dollar plan for the past couple of months because they changed it - guess I will just leave it at that so I can actually learn to utilize the phone! :) (maybe!!!) Leigh is an att employee so he gets a discount on the 25 dollar data plan and not the 15 so there isn't much difference in the cost....guess if I am going to have an expensive phone I might as well learn how to use it!

Charlotte - that night I called you trying to figure out if I had missed my turn to Congo road.... I FINALLY remembered several miles down the road (actually WHEN we got to Paron) that I had google maps loaded on my phone....that is how I figured out where i was and the best route home from there! Needless to say if I had thought about it earlier, i might not have driven that many miles that night!! ^_^ Oh well, chalk that one up to a learning experience I guess.....

Jessica and I had to be in LR before 11 this morning for her interview, and then we were served lunch. We got out of the meeting around 1:30 - did a brief visit to Alex's to drop off some stuff and change clothes, then made a mad dash to the mall to exchange some things, then back home again so she could make it to her college algebra class tonight...... She was nervous during the interview...said there were about 13 people in the room!! And that the questions were all current political events - some on really complicated issues. She did not think she did well....but then I heard several of the other kids say they did not think their interview was good either! So, who knows...... They do not even pick the winner here..... the scores from the applications, the scores from the test that she had to take and her essay, and the scores from today's interview are all sent to the Randolph Hurst foundation who makes the selection, notifies the winners, and pays for the trip to DC and funds the scholarship.........will be the end of December before we know anything! I told her if nothing else to chalk it up to a nice lunch, and some interview experience to get ready for pharmacy school interviews...... I really think they will select someone interested in becoming a lawyer and serving in public office....because that is really what the contest centers around. But, I think just to be selected in the top 9 in the state and get to go thru this process was good for her! I got tickled at her today saying we were in a room full of nerds...and I inquired what that made us! :)

Got just a little more cleaned in my flower bed tonight .... was mostly working by braille until I decided it was getting a little too dark to be digging in that grass! I HATE coming home and it being almost dark! I just keep saying I have to make it until December 21 and then it will slowly start going back the other way! Still no rain here though.....lots of clouds, but no rain ....

Well, think I am going to nuke some hamburgers that I grilled last week and then froze for supper....Jessi should be home soon and maybe we can sit down and stop moving for a few minutes!
Have a good night everyone!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Sandra I don't understand all the terminology so don't know what ISO or whatever you so is. But I have icloud and the app is working with it. Another app I like is JotNot. It acts like a scanner. You can take a photo of a document you want to keep (like a recipe in a mag) and it scans into document form. Neat app. I use it quite a bit.

Ripley, MS

I got that one also, but have never used it, the iCloud will only work with Apple products right now, my laptop is a pc, the apple operating system is iOS
My question was, do you think Apple will fix the iCloud to send things to the pc?

Genna...what does it mean to stop moving? I don't think I get to do that often, do you? LOL, if I ever do that I just fall asleep.

DH, our oldest son and his 4-1/2 year old, our grandson, went to Knoxville for the TN homecoming game Saturday night. I stayed home, went to a Christmas bazaar at the civic center and bought a couple of Christmas gifts, ran some other errands, came home and made a chocolate pound cake to take to our neighborhood get together Sunday afternoon, then watched the big game by myself Saturday night with a glass of wine. I had stopped at Outback and got myself a dinner to go. I'm lazy that way when I'm by myself.

The boys had a ball and got home around 11 am. Our neighborhood decided to do our big get-together before Christmas instead of in December because it was easier to get everyone to come. Had a better turn-out and we've gotten too big to have it at someone's house. Then yesterday afternoon I got some of my perennials trimmed up and pots cleaned and stored. I still have some to do but doing it a little at a time.

I work at a new Government facility that has a new gym. They have a 'Boot Camp' workout on Mondays from 4-5. It's too dark to run when I get home so I thought I'd try it. I went today for the first time...I probably won't be able to get out of bed tomorrow. My goodness! I think I'm too old for this!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Well my laptop is a pc too and I was able to upload a photo wirelessly on my pc to my apple iphone by using the transfer app. I opened the app on my phone first and then it told me what to type in the address bar on my pc. That's all I know........!!!!!!LOL When I bring up the app if asks me if I want to receive photos, videos from Apple Computer, Windows Computer or another iphone or ipad and if I want to send it asks the same questions.. still all I know!!

Some other apps I like are Bing music, Pandora radio, ScanLife (you can scan the bar code on a product and it will give you the price and also the price others are selling it for), I just recently added Shopping List. Shopping List gives you the specials at all the major stores. You can set up the stores in your shopping area. Then you can also make a shopping list.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.