Fruit trees blooming

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

After our rain last week, then the cool front coming in, then the warm up, the pear , plum, and all the citrus trees are blooming. I have 3 Keifer pears that were full of pears this summer. I harvested them until there were none on the trees. That was 3 weeks ago. Now they are blooming again. I had Methley and Bruce plums this past spring, now they are blooming.The Meyer lemon trees have fruit, but not large, and they are blooming. The Rio Red and Henderson grapefruit trees have small fruit on them and are also blooming again. I have a Republic of Texas orange that has small oranges on it and now it proceeds to bloom again. This is the first time I have ever had these trees bloom prior to Spring but I know that with all the kinky weather conditions out of whack the trees must be confused. The western portion of Brazoria County is in the extreme drought zone and hardly any rain hits us. This is considered zone 9. I am collecting night moisture in rain barrels and that helps. But... what do I do with these blooms? Isn't it too early for them to be blooming right before the freezes hit? My first instinct is to pull the blooms off. Should I? Oh, my pomegranite trees still have large fruit on them and they are also blooming.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

We had a brutally hot and dry summer. Chances are that your trees went dormant this summer, a common occurrence here in Texas. Once the weather cools, they emerge from dormancy and are confused. They think it's spring. Just enjoy the blooms. It won't hurt the trees.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Happens almost every year to me.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, as long as it won't hurt the trees, I will enjoy the fruit that is already on it and enjoy the fragrance of the blooms.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I usually pick them off so they dont put all that energy into flowering now. I dont know if it will hurt yields for next year or not. Probably not enough to matter.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

That was my big concern. I just wanted someone else's opinion. Also, I am concerned it will affect this years growth on the current fruit.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm in Colorado. The trees here will bloom at the wrong time after being stripped by a hail storm. It doesn't seem to do any harm & we don't like to bother them when they are recovering from hail damage. I thought Citrus trees, especially Lemons, bloomed in the winter anyway?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.