Sago Palm or something else?

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I've wondered about this one and hope you can help, but it may be hard to tell from a picture without seeing it in person. My friend gave me this. I think he dug it up to make more room for plumerias. We thought it was Cycas revoluta, but the leaflets are so much longer and softer than my other Cycas revoluta. Do you think it might be a different variety of Cycas revoluta or perhaps a different species? I know I read in one of PalmBob's articles that there was a cycad similar to the King Sago Palm with longer leaflets, and I was wondering whether this could be it.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Second picture:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Another difference besides the softer and longer leaflets is the lack of a spine at the end of the leaflet. Could it be Cycas platyphylla? Maybe it's too hard to tell from a picture.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It looks a lot like a Sago that's growing in the shade, those will make longer, softer leaves.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Looks like Cycas revoluta (a very variable species), though can't 100% rule out C taitungensis (which looks similar only much larger and leaves are FLAT.. this one looks like it has 'V'd leaves like a standard revoluta.

Many thanks:-) I like it better than my other sagos:-)

I'm still curious about this. There is a definite absence of spines on the leaf tips on this one, and I have another sago growing right next to it in the same conditions that has the sharp spines on the shorter stiffer leaf tips. Perhaps it is as Geoff says, which is a just a variation on a highly variable species. I really like the softness of this one. When the new leaves come out, I'll take a picture, and maybe that will give another clue. I think it is just gorgeous.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.