Please I.D. Cycad for me

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I found this at my local nursery for $60. There are two in a pot. It was labeled as Dioon spinulosum, but the buyer for the nursery thought it might be Cycas thouarsii. They are fairly large, and there are thorns along the stems. I'll post two pictures so you can get a better idea.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

cycas circinalis

You're the best! Thanks! I forgot to ask: Would you recommend separating before planting in the spring?

Nevermind my last question. I just looked at some pictures of other ones, and it clearly needs to be separated:-)

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

No, I would NOT separate this one this time of year. I assume we're talking about the cycad this time. Leave as a plant and its sucker until spring... then you can easily cut it off (if you want to... I personally like leaving them in place).

Oh, well, I didn't mean I would do it now. I'll probably keep it inside my sunroom until spring and then plant it in the garden. I just was wondering whether I should separate later. I don't think that there is a plant and its sucker. I think they probably put two in the pot side by side like they did with the four Foxtails in a pot. They look to be the same size. So you would not separate them then? Thanks.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

that probably is a sucker, but it may not be. Usually cycads are NOT sold in clumps as they are too costly to sell that way, and you can get so much more for them as individual plants... but if there are two separate plants, you probably should separate them in the spring.

Okay. Great. I will. Thanks. The nursery buyer thought maybe they were grown from seed. I guess I'll find out if they are attached when I go to plant them next year. Thanks again.

Well, again, you're going to think I'm a complete idiot. I showed this cycad to my husband, who liked it, but he didn't like the look of the black plastic container, and I have a nice ceramic pot, but the black plastic nursery pot was visible above the ceramic pot when I placed it inside. So I went to gently lift out the two plants from the black plastic pot to put in the ceramic pot and fill with my well-draining Sunshine mix. I'm sure you've guessed by now what happened.

The cycads were planted in almost pure wet heavy sand, and it didn't stay together like one unit like I hoped it would. In any case, there was a little root loss, and there were two separate plants with some roots entwined, which I separated, and I repotted them both in separate pots. It's a beautiful warm day today, and we may stay fairly warm for another month or so yet. Please tell me what I should do at this point. Would the plants suffer less transplant shock if kept at an evenly warm temperature in my sunroom, or should I leave them outside in my warm courtyard? Thanks for the help. ((Stupid husband! LOL!!)) Oh, well, at least they are potted in well-draining good potting soil now.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA
Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

best thing to do, if roots were cut/torn is to take out of pot, let dry a few days, powder the cut surfaces with rooting hormone, and then put back in well draining cactus mix or palm soil with added pumice, and dont water for at least a week.

Okay, great. Thanks:-)

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Those are beautiful, you should buy them posthaste :)

I agree, and I did buy them:-)

Los Angeles, CA

When it comes to the rooting hormone don't do what I did. Someone told me to spary a liquid hormone spray on it and then put the ;powder. The powder is an acid and yyou really should,n't put it on heavy. I rotted the roots but I caught it before it was killed. My son was the one that told me not to put on alot of the powder root hormone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.