Rare Oakleaf Hydrangeas?

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

I saw some of them at a local nursery and the foleage was a lovely burgandy. However, there was no discount for any plant at this nursery even this late of the season. I just wonder if oakleaf hydrangeas are rare. Can I get them from Walmart or the Home Depot next spring? Or do I have to buy them from nurseries that normally price their plants a lot higher?

Thumbnail by donnerville
Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

You might be able to get them elsewhere in spring and summer (I don't remember buying an oakleaf at Walmart or HD but I did buy hydrangeas at both places earlier this year).

I bought my oakleafs at a small hydrangea grower in the next county (they sell online too) or at established nurseries. Some places are higher than others so keep shopping around.

You didn't say how much this nursery is charging - is it exorbitant? I'd expect between 20 and 30 dollars for a one to two gallon oakleaf hydrangea.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

donner--

There are Oak Leaf Hydrangeas at every main entrance to the White Marsh Mall.
I haven't looked--I hope they are still there.
The blooms dry to such nice colors in the fall. One bloom would make a nice decoration.

Can't say I paid much attention to all the Hydrangeas we had at the HD.
I don't think we had any Oak Leaf.

Hod do they propagate? Gita

They prop fairly easy like any hydrangea

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Depending on the supplier and location I have seen them in HDs and Lowes in NC and I think Ga. They are not rare by any means. I've seen 1 gallons sell for as low as $9.99-$15.00. Ric

I did buy a two gallon Limelight at HD this summer for $18 and a pink and white one at Walmart for $10 (six inch pot).

Here is the Walmart special with no name.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmmm... the one I saw was also in a 2 gal pot, but it was $39.99. I will check iagain this Friday.

Limelight isn't an oakleaf though.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

the local nursery I worked at for several years did not discount containers of hydrangeas or other shrubs at end of season because we over wintered them in a cold hoop house , propagated same and potted them up for the next year's stock. ie we didn't need to clearance them.

Proven Winners are best procured when first arrive at big box stores before they are stressed by benign neglect. Though species and cultivars selected for wide distribution may be winners, the methods and materials used to get them to consumers (mass produced) are still being perfected and can leave much to be desired from comparable hands-on nursery grown stock...

The more sun my oakleaf gets, the redder the foliage. Love that the oakleaf has not skipped a beat through drought, deluge and heat of passed two summers with no attention from me. However, the buds were the first thing that drew browsing deer into my yard, so only a few blooms

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm hoping our Oak leaf did not drown in all the run off. It did loose a lot of leaves early so it must be experiencing some type of stress. It's been in for 4-5 years and was finally doing really well. The first 2 years were very hot and dry and it seemed to struggle a bit despite regular soakings. The Va. Arboretum in Boyce has some lovely Oak leafs planted in full sun, so I expected ours to adapt, which seemed to be the case till this years monsoons.
Ric

A local church has a great stand of oakleaf hydrangeas and they really put on a show in full bloom. While at street level the ground is level but on the backside it is a steep little hill which should provide great drainage.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

If the plant is not rare, I will wait for next spring to get one.

I have quite a few hydrangeas in my garden, but they are of other varieties. So far, deer have not bothered them. Is a particular variety attractive to deer? I have WAAAAY to many deer around. My garden is an open salad bar to them :-(

This message was edited Nov 22, 2011 9:36 AM

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Wish I were better at types of hydrangeas but here they don't eat Tokyo Delight, Beni Gaku or any of that type. They devour most others. I'll try and get a photo tomorrow of how they stripped one.

I refer to our gardens as the Whitetail Buffet.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Boy o boy, don't even try daylilies with deer.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

In the past we've had over 2,000 daylilies but the number has been cut drastically due to the deer issue. Now we have around 300. The deer are even worse here with hosta plantaginea.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have found that Hydrangeas put on a very pretty fall show just like the trees.

Here is one of many, where that the blooms turned a pretty red.

I am always in the market for new variety's of hydrangeas.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Very pretty Hydrangea flowers, Marie. What is the flower color in the summer time? Pink?

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think this one is called peppermint candy. Pink and white small flower blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.