How to make papercrete containers #2

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

kooger, I started a thread on the Hypertufa and Concrete forum: "Papercrete-containers, fairy houses and other uses". http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235636/
It's loaded with some of the same pics that I've posted here and other individual pieces, along with some info about how I made them.

I feel rather guilty about posting so much here, but I was excited, lol. I still am!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Sundownr, I too have been reading your info with interest. Thanks for sharing as I want to give this a try this year.
Alberta Ann

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Alberta Ann, Thank you for watching and I hope you jump over to the Hypertufa & Concrete forum to see more. I didn't post TomTom's recipe there, but did post a link back to the original thread on this forum.

Thanks again,
Bev

Dahlonega, GA

Wonder why my puter keeps sending me to the old thread ?

Ventress, LA(Zone 8b)

Digger, click on the top "unwatch thread".

Dahlonega, GA

Ok will try that .

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

WOW ..... I JUST LOVE this thread!!!! So many talented people and so many great idea's I want to try this spring!!!!!!!!!!!!

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

This is a great thread, will have to go back and re-read on sealing to waterproof but this sounds great. Thank you so much for sharing!!

I have printed instructions and plan to do this in the spring

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

I posted this on the Hypertufa and Concrete forum with my papercrete pots, but wanted TomTom to see what her instructions helped me to create. Thank you TomTom, I love the twisted newspaper technique!!!!

Thumbnail by Sundownr
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's outstanding Sun. love it!

Hap

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Looks like rock! Just like it's supposed to! Beautiful!

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks y'all.

joycet, I think it looks like a chunk out of a cave, or off a narly cliff too, lol. I love the technique and plan to make a bunch more.

That's beautiful Sun. You are inspiring me to give it a try. I had forgotten about it but your post got me fired up again. ^_^

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Crit, It's much easier than you might think. Just jump in and give it a try!

toms river, NJ

Just read this for the first time.
The containers are really great looking.
How durable are they outside in winter freeze.
Guess I am missing something but don't see reason for the stick at bottom of the bowl.
Any answer appreciated.
Thanks

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Jim. I answered your Dmail, but for those who may have the same questions, I'll answer here, too.

I used some of these papercrete pots outdoors in freezing temps for a couple winters now without problems.

The stick creates a channel, or two feet to elevate the pot a little, for the drained water to escape.

toms river, NJ

Sundowner,
Thanks for you response.
Another question thinking about using newsprint with color - (funny paper section / color adds in newsprint - not the glossy part) anybody done that - if so how does it affect the result.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Jim,
I stay away from too much color in the papers for fear the ink's affect on the cement as well as the plants. I may be overly-cautious tho.
--
Bev

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

The inks made today are mostly soy-based, and perfectly safe for use near your plants/veggies...

But, I'd think the glossy colored paper would be too stiff to properly break down into the consistency of slurry you're going for, to make papercrete. The softer colored funnies and ad paper should be OK to break down into an oatmeal consistency.

Linda

This message was edited Apr 1, 2013 11:30 PM

Dahlonega, GA

Women used to have babies on thick layers of news paper and that was 80/100 years ago . Dr's said it was most sanitary , even back then

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your input on the newspaper ink folks! I've not heard either of those points discussed before now!

Sundownr,
Please see my edited reply.

Southwest, VA(Zone 6a)

Linda,
Your comments, as well as Digger's, prompted me to do some research that I've put off for a while. As an old-time organic gardener, I was cautioned years ago about using anything other black & white newsprint in composting and garden mulch. Times have changed and soy-based inks became much cheaper to use than petroleum-based inks, as you stated. But not all print media companies use soy ink! The colored slicks or glossies may still be produced with petroleum-based inks, as well as, heavy metals needed to make them more colorful and opaque. Additionally, clay, paraffin, and various chemical and metal components (in the color pigments) may be used to make the pages glossy and less degradable, thus slow to compost and more toxic if used in concentrated doses.

The last sentence confirms observations I've read by other papercrete crafters about the adverse effects of using colored print papers (excluding the funny pages). The key in obtaining consistent results is using consistent materials. The type of water (well vs. tap), humidity, temperature, time, and aggregates can all play a part in the success or failure of concrete products. I've had failures that took a while in determining cause. So experimenting with one component at a time helps to understand what works and what doesn't. I'll continue to avoid the use of heavily colored papers, and definitely not use the slick and glossy advertisements.

I truly appreciate the input and the nudge to research more into the colored paper use!
Thanks,
--
Bev

Vieques, PR

The vast portion of mass is uniform in all cases, relative to ink character, and the approach tends to lock in undesired chemical effects from ink.

This message was edited Apr 3, 2013 12:41 AM

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Haven't seen anyone post on this in a while but I had an idea and was wondering if someone (TomTom perhaps) who has worked with papercrete could tell me if my idea seems feasible.

I am absolutely obsessed with tree ferns but am moving to an area where it is too cold for them to grow. Tassel fern has a very similar growth habit (fronds up to 2 feet long, coming from a central point) but it is evergreen and cold hardy. I am thinking of making a tall, relatively thin pot which mimics the trunk of a tree fern and planting the fern in the top of it. Texturing the papercrete and dying it a dark brown color and encouraging moss growth on it. I would like to build these to have minor bends, as sometimes tree fern trunks will bend.

Is there a maximum height I might be able to make one of these? I was hoping for the tallest to be about 6 feet and the diameter on the bottom to be about 1.5 feet decreasing the top to be about .75 feet.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Thumbnail by TreeHeart
(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

bump:
I was digging thru old posts and saw this one... Did you ever try your idea TreeHeart?

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the bump, psychw2. :)

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Here is a papercrete pot I made, then did a mini garden in it for a friend. I found a plastic serving dish in shape of the clam at a thrift store for the mold.

I use a concrete paddle with a heavy electric drill to mix everything, I think I got it at home depot. I also let the paper soak for a couple of days or more and it breaks down faster.

Thumbnail by happgarden Thumbnail by happgarden

That is outstanding!

Oostburg, WI(Zone 5b)

Very cute!

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Thank you, alot of fun to do.

Viking, MN

I'm new here
Happy to meet others with green thumbs...

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Welcome Montado88, I hope you find lots of interesting threads to find friends and like minded people!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Hi Montado- I read this thread a few years ago and had forgotten about it-thanks for bringing it up again. It's one of those things I have filed away for my future retirement!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.